TV`s in bay windows?

Paulie-W

Hi peeps.

I`m deliberating weather or not to change our lounge set up about, and basically this would mean having the tv in the bay (square bay) window. Now we have blinds anyway and no great view to consider, so i was just wondering about the pro`s and con`s of doing it this way. We do get a lot of sun shining through from about 4pm (when it does decide to shine). At the moment the tv is in the opposite corner of the room, but siting it in the bay would square up the viewing position.

Any tips from those who know would be much appreciated :thumbsup:

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
I can't see it being much of a problem really.
The much bigger problem comes when the sun is shining into the telly.
Anyway, as you say, you have blinds.

Paulie-W

Thanks, yeah although the blinds are only cheapo natural colour fabric, we do also have haevy dark brown velvet curtains too. I would of course mean a total shift around of speakers and all the sky cabling, but that`s just under tha carpet anyway. All in all a bit of graft, but no real biggie (i hope).

This is how it is at the moment..... So it would be sofa onto the back/side wall and tv in the window.

Attachments

• New tv setup 016a.jpg
    New tv setup 016a.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 898
  • New tv setup 015a.jpg
    New tv setup 015a.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 184

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Don't forget you get the added bonus of being able to seperate your speakers a bit more, which should be better for the sound :smashin:
The only downside I can see is that moving your sofa to the back wall may spoil the rear sound somewhat.
In which case you might want to move the rears to the side walls, but it's not a major problem, IMO.
It irks me that I have no choice but to put the telly in the corner. It really is the worst place, when you have surround sound, IMO.

Paulie-W

Yeah i know, the sofa could pose a bit of a problem going against the mickey mouse wall, but it`s the only option if the tv goes into the bay. I`ll probably get stands for the surrounds and place them at each end of the sofa as swmbo won`t have them on the side walls. Also directly opposite the alcove where the tv is right now is the door (why do they put them in such awkward places). I`ll have to get the tape measure out and make up a model.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
So you do what I did and stick them above the door, angling them down to your ears in your case.
As for SWMBO, do you want to borrow my balls?

Only joking mate, honestly :D
It strikes me women wear the trousers now.
I think I'm in charge, but know I'm not really.

Paulie-W

So you do what I did and stick them above the door, angling them down to your ears in your case.
As for SWMBO, do you want to borrow my balls?

Only joking mate, honestly :D
It strikes me women wear the trousers now.
I think I'm in charge, but know I'm not really.

:rotfl:

Actually that`s not a bad idea. Could you package them up for me, and i`ll send `em back real soon.

But seriously i didn`t think about going above the door :thumbsup:

S

Stubbz

Yeah i know, the sofa could pose a bit of a problem going against the mickey mouse wall, but it`s the only option if the tv goes into the bay. QUOTE]

I can definitely see a problem with the sofa..

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Seeing as Stubbz hasn't come back yet, I'll have a stab.
I'm guessing he's thinking that sticking the rears on stands isn't going to be too good.
And I agree, which is why I'd try above the door height.
If that's not sucessful (I think it might be OK) you might want to consider di/bipoles.

Paulie-W

I`d prefer to have them up in the air pionting down as opposed to on stands to be honest.Defo no probs above the door as we have pretty high celings. Getting height parity and slight concealment (prob not the right word) may prove tricky though.

So far swmbo quite likes the idea, or first proposal anyway. Still got to measure the sofa though as it`s a big sob :D

Paulie-W

Bugger..... i just measured the sofa and it`s too sodding big :mad: I might have to resort to plan `B`, but that will mean extending the sky shotgun cable (tight installer wouldn`t give me an extra meter).

Rich

We have the TV in a bay window that has the sun shining through about 4pm as well.
We have to shut the curtains if we want to watch TV at that time, it strains your eyes trying to watch it with the sun behind the screen and it is in a shadow all the time, so the screen looks really dark as well.
This might be slightly different, seeing as you've got blinds and can stop the sun from shining directly onto you.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom