TV Room - New TV 75-85"

moffster

Standard Member
Hi everyone,

I've moved house recently and have a room that I can now use as a TV room. Currently have an old LG B7 65 OLED which I've loved but I'd like to go bigger.

The room will be used mainly when it's dark and we'll be sat around 5-6m away. It won't be used for gaming - mainly Netflix, Prime and Sky Q UHD.

So I'd like a 75-85" set but I want to limit to £2k.

I managed to get a 55" LG C9 refurb for £1200 which has been excellent but can't find any 77's at a good price.

I'm not stuck to LG and happy to look further - would even consider non-OLED if there is a good screen out there as it might enable me to get to 85".

I suppose I am worried about the dark room needing OLED only which will push the price up but I'll happily go new or refurb - thoughts and help greatly appreciated.

Dodgexander

Not sure you'll find a 77" OLED for 2k, even a refurb. You can check out this thread though:

I think LG refurbs tend to be sold through traditional retailers rather than an outlet, but again the chances of finding one for 2k are going to be pretty thin.

Even with LCD TVs, the TV you make the least compromises with in terms of picture quality versus price would be the Sony 85XH9505 which sells for 2.5k. The lower tier XH9005 may be in budget, but it also isn't really a capable HDR TV with only 750 nits of peak brightness.

moffster

Standard Member
Not sure you'll find a 77" OLED for 2k, even a refurb. You can check out this thread though:

I think LG refurbs tend to be sold through traditional retailers rather than an outlet, but again the chances of finding one for 2k are going to be pretty thin.

Even with LCD TVs, the TV you make the least compromises with in terms of picture quality versus price would be the Sony 85XH9505 which sells for 2.5k. The lower tier XH9005 may be in budget, but it also isn't really a capable HDR TV with only 750 nits of peak brightness.
Thanks - after 3 hours of research yesterday I came to the same conclusion.

But I have found the 85XH9505 for £2k which is promising. I've only had OLED for the last few years, so hoping that in the dark the Sony performs.

So looks like I might abandon my search for an LG C9 77 and go for the Sony. Such a massive TV, will be funny to see it on my wall instead of the B7 65 :D

moffster

Standard Member
The XH9505 is a worthy compromise and at 2k its a very good price. Blacks won't be as perfect as an OLED of course, but you aren't going to find something better for the price.
Yep exactly my thinking. Thanks for confirming!

tvdavid

still like my 65 inch xh95 more than my lg cx but need more time to get used to the oled

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom