TV replacement - What should I expect?

kongyo

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just had my LG 49SK8100 taken in for repair and deemed a write-off. I haven't spoken to the insurers since the initial problem was raised, but received a phone call earlier from the engineer explaining the situation. I'm sure the insurers will be in touch soon to begin proceedings, but before I talk to them I wondered where my expectations should lie and is there an opportunity to haggle/bargain at this point? Any advice is welcome :]

It would be great to get vouchers or credit so that I can put forward to a potential OLED upgrade come Black Friday / Cyber Monday... is this something that insurers do? Also in terms of the value of the TV, how much should I expect in credit?

Sorry if this all seems obvious, but I've rarely had to make claims in the past so unfamiliar with the process.

Last edited:
They will supply a tv the same if still in supply or nearest to the unit you have.
Iv'e just had mine replaced from an C8 to an CX

Ok thanks for the info. Did they offer or did you ask at all if credit/vouchers or the opportunity to pay extra for an upgrade was an option?

I didn't haggle, i thought an upgrade from the C8 to the CX couldn't be bettered.
Phone D&G and see what they say...... You never know.
The CX was supplied by a shop whom D&G use, shop was RGB direct and D&G said it will come with a new 5 year warranty, that surprised me as i thought when they write the tv off the warranty finished.

Oh yes you wouldn’t argue with a CX replacement I completely agree. I’ll give them a ring tomorrow and see what’s what.

So I spoke to D&G and they offered a LG 55UN71006LB, but I can't help but want to upgrade to an OLED. They were able to offer upgrades depending on what their suppliers had to offer, but I was told that the prices don't reflect what I'd see online and also they won't necessarily be able to offer all the models that the suppliers would have in their showrooms. Also that holding out until Black Friday sales hit won't necessarily be of any benefit since those prices may not appear on their system.

They offered the following TVs with an additional amount required...

48CX - £1050
55BX - £475
Q60T - £215

I think I'll phone again and push to see what else they're able to offer. Anyone have any thoughts on this so far?

Last edited:
The UK7100 is a much cheaper model. This year's model occupying the same place in the range as the SK8000/SK8100 (e.g. same launch price) is the Nano90/Nano91, maybe even the CX.

I've no idea what your policy actually says you're entitled to as a replacement though. If it's something equivalent to the second hand value of your current TV then that could be reasonable.

The UK7100 is a much cheaper model. This year's model occupying the same place in the range as the SK8000/SK8100 (e.g. same launch price) is the Nano90/Nano91, maybe even the CX.

I've no idea what your policy actually says you're entitled to as a replacement though. If it's something equivalent to the second hand value of your current TV then that could be reasonable.

Really?! Surely the CX can’t be a comparable model to SK8100... it’s an OLED and costs twice as much.

Has anyone tried bargaining or haggling before or will they not entertain it? I’m tempted to go for the 55BX for the extra £475... I get an OLED, a 2020 model plus an extra 7 inches. Does anyone think this is worth it? Is it worth holding off until Black Friday to see if D&G’s system will have the sale prices?

Really?! Surely the CX can’t be a comparable model to SK8100... it’s an OLED and costs twice as much.

49 and, 55" SK8000 models launched at £1,200 and £1,500

49 and, 55" CX models launched at £1,400 and £1,800

Ok so maybe the next model up.

49 and, 55" SK8000 models launched at £1,200 and £1,500

49 and, 55" CX models launched at £1,400 and £1,800

Ok so maybe the next model up.

I must’ve picked up a bargain since, if I remember correctly, I paid around the £500 mark in 2018. Where can I find evidence of the launch price that I can present to D&G and try arguing for a similarly priced set?

So I can get the 55CX what do people think... should I jump on it?

There's not much room for bargaining if I'm honest and prices change on a daily basis

Last edited:
Sooo I bit the bullet and my brand spanking new 55CX is being delivered on Monday. Incredibly happy and can’t wait to join the OLED crew

Had the CX for nearly a week and blown away by the picture quality. I had reservations about reflections and the screen not being bright enough, but imho I feel like the complaints made in regard to this are grossly exaggerated. The brightness is more than adequate and the reflections are mostly unnoticeable, even with my tv sat adjacent to a large bay window. I understand that conditions vary from user to user but I really wouldn’t let this deter anyone’s purchase. I couldn’t be happier with the set and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend. I’m completely sold with OLED and you know what they say “once you go black...”

Does anyone know what I can do about getting an extended warranty for the replacement tv? I have the one year manufacturer’s warranty, but would want extended, for say 5yrs, for peace of mind. I did enquire with D&G when ordering the tv and they wanted £7 per month. I asked about purchasing a 5yr extended warranty, like the one I took out when I bought the now knackered tv, but sadly they don’t offer those anymore.

Anybody have any suggestions?

I just want to say well done and great choice!

Additionally: Your home and contents coverage people might add an oled to your policy, it's usually worth seeing what they offer. I can't really recommend anyone right now, I just don't know enough, but I wanted to say I'm happy for you!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom