1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV repair viability question

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by woody67, Aug 17, 2004.

1. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have a 5 year old Goodmans TV which has developed a fault.

From googling, I understand that the problem may relate to the 'flyback transformer'

Any idea of the cost of a repair, or if I should just forget it and bin the set?

Cheers

2. knoxy

knoxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Call your local consumer advice... you should be able to expect reasonable durability for a tv set for 5/6 years and may be able to get it fixed for free? Possibly?

My television developed a fault outside the warranty period - my first email to the online company that sold me the tv said something along the lines of "know this is a long shot, but any chance I can get this repaired". I received a response essentially saying "no - your warranty expired a year ago".

Contacted consumer advice, they said that was rubbish and gave me a few lines that I could use in my next email.

Tried that and received a response within 30 minutes saying that as long as I get an engineer to prove the telly didnt break due to me mishandling it, I was entitled to a free repair. They even picked it up, packaged it and delivered it to a repair centre! :thumbsup:

Give it a try, nothing to lose?

3. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Woody, are you good with a soldering iron ? Modern tv sets are very complicated and without a description of the fault it could be anything. Yes, you could replace the EHT transformer (Spares for most popular models can be brought from CPC) but to be honest chuck it away - you could do more harm than good to your tv, to yourself as well (you're dealing with large voltages) and compromising the safety of the set (and your household) if you cock it up. Easy said - but chuck it away. regards, yt.

4. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks

Out of interest, the problem was a clicking/arcing from what I gather is the flyback transformer. There is still a picture but the clicking is getting worse

The set only cost about £250, and I think it has done its job - it was only supposed to be temporary!

I don't really want to get into a warranty debate, as I think its borderline and not really worth it for this set.

I would have a go with the soldering iron for most things, but as said this may not be worth the risk.

Seems like a good excuse to get a proper TV then!

5. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    If you're really keen - take the back off and switch it on in darkened room (not pitch black for safetys sake) If it's arcing around the EHT flyback transformer then you may be lucky enough to actually see it (but keep your hands CLEAR). If you do see arcing then then yes you could have a go at replacing it - however, go with your heart, chuck it. regards, yt.

6. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Take it......to the skip. :cool: