1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tv repair times

Discussion in 'TVs' started by filmman, Aug 1, 2002.

1. filmman

filmman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    hi
    i would like some feedback on typical repair times for a 6 month old toshiba 32". since mine stopped working it took 4 days to get an engineer out,another week before it was collected and after another week they are still waiting for advice from toshiba.
    is this normal service for a £1700 tv?

2. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,968
    : RE toshiba rear projection set repair

Hi,

Yes, i have simliar problems, mix up of days when the engineer was to come out, etc.

Now 3 weeks into it, they tell me they CANNOT even get through to Toshiba!!!.

What company did you go through?.

I got my tv from Hispek, and are using a service agent in maidstone in kent, 'Home Applicance services" or similar name.

I am going to ring toshiba myself to see if get can ring the f'ing service agent!!.

ta

rai

3. billduff

billduff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is not good news. My Tosh 28" WS was only picked up an hour ago to go for repair. :( :(

They said it would be about 3-4 days for a tube replacement (if thats what was needed... I'm pretty convinced and the guy looked fairly certain as well), but if they are having trouble getting stuff from Toshiba it could be longer.

I have a huge gap in my front room that a 14" portable just looks plain stupid in. Might have to go and get a cheap 20" or something if it'll be too long.

4. filmman

filmman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    hi
    thanks for the reply raigraphixs,the set was purchased from sevenoaks sound/vision (who have been very helpful)and the service company are h/v electronics,crawley

the fault is a blue screen and no inputs working,h/v have no idea nor toshiba u.k. the engineer also said that toshiba will not supply new circuit boards but insist on repairs down to individual component level.

hope you get a result soon.

5. big.hal

big.hal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your TV is not that old , say less than 9 months , and the retailer cannot get it repaired in time just tell them you want a new one or you money back, just say that you are rejecting the goods as they obviously are not fit for purpose and quote the good old sale of goods act, you don't buy expensive tv's for them to go wrong that quick. I usualy find that it works, especialy if thay want to repair not replace an item.

6. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Your dealer may replace your set as a goodwill gesture, but under the terms of the Sale Of Goods Act you are are not entitled to a replacement.
    Good luck to you if you can do it.

7. filmman

filmman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    hi
    i rang my local trading standards office todayand in their opinion 28 days is a reasonable period for a tv to be collected and repaired.
    their advice was that after this period contact the retailer that supplied the set and state that you are giving them 7 days to have the set repaired or replaced, otherwise you will take legal steps to have the matter resolved.
    will keep you posted.

8. billduff

billduff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Woo Hoo !!!

Just called my retailer and the new tube for my TV arrived today and is being fitted as we speak. They should finish today (or tomorrow depening on how log the Geometry setup takes etc). Toshiba can move when they want to then.

Pick it up on Saturday and LOTR on Saturday Night, only been waiting 2 weeks to see it. !!!

:D :D

9. filmman

filmman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    hi
    tv returned after 4weeks,engineer plugs in scarts etc, switches set on ,dead! no standby indicator, nothing.
    engineer on phone back to base when out of curiosity i check mains plug -no fuse. one 5A fuse later set works fine.