TV recommendations for the basics with decent sound and picture 50" around £500

dsmush

Hi,

I've got elderly relatives looking to buy a new TV. I know what's bad, good and great at the high end but at the budget end of the range I'm a bit lost, so looking for some help.

The room the TV is going is on the smaller side and they've said the ideal size is around 48-50". What they want from a TV is fairly basic - to watch Freeview, the on demand apps (iPlayer etc) and Netflix in reasonable quality and with decent sound (I know TVs these days don't have particularly good speakers due to slimness and the idea that most people would just get a soundbar).

I've not asked them for a budget because with them not knowing the price of TVs and knowing they are quite budget concious in that they love a bargain regardless of if the product suits their needs (i.e. a garbage TV for say £150 Bush TV most in the know would steer clear of but they would think great :laugh: then complain about the picture or sound) I didn't want to give them unreasonable expectations that I could find them a good quality TV that does what they ask at the size they want for say £200-£300 so I'd rather get an idea from someone here and present them with a couple options I think no more than £500 would be the goal if that is possible.

Dodgexander

Do they need good viewing angles?

dsmush

Do they need good viewing angles?
I think so yes but I believe that comes at the expense of contrast? The TV sits on a stand in a corner of the room while one of them sits in the adjacent corner and the other in the opposite with a window on the wall to the right of TV. Please forgive the diagram I'm fully aware of my artistic limitations 😄

Attachments

• tv angle.png
    tv angle.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 16

Dodgexander

Yes, TVs with wider viewing angles have poorer contrast, if they view the TV like most people do with a light on in the room it shouldn't matter so much...and traits like worse viewing angles especially at the tighter viewing position will make the picture a lot worse.

With that layout I would look at a Sony TVs using IPS panels as they have the best viewing angles. They do have TVs that use VA panels too so you have to be careful with model numbers and sizes.

Their 49" models like the XH80xx or XH81xx 2020 models (XJ80 2021) at 49" will be using IPS.

The tightest viewing angle will look worse, but you can also consider 49" LG TVs like last years UN series, or this years/last years 49" Nano models.

Make sure if you want an IPS type panel you shop at 49" and not 50" since all 50" models are using VA technology.

dsmush

Yes, TVs with wider viewing angles have poorer contrast, if they view the TV like most people do with a light on in the room it shouldn't matter so much...and traits like worse viewing angles especially at the tighter viewing position will make the picture a lot worse.

With that layout I would look at a Sony TVs using IPS panels as they have the best viewing angles. They do have TVs that use VA panels too so you have to be careful with model numbers and sizes.

Their 49" models like the XH80xx or XH81xx 2020 models (XJ80 2021) at 49" will be using IPS.

The tightest viewing angle will look worse, but you can also consider 49" LG TVs like last years UN series, or this years/last years 49" Nano models.

Make sure if you want an IPS type panel you shop at 49" and not 50" since all 50" models are using VA technology.
So Sony's IPS TVs are better than LGs? What about Samsung? that is what they have got at the moment, its a 32 inch 4K one I think bought in 2016 or possibly 2017. They have a JVC TV in the bedroom and they say they prefer it's picture to the Samsung. I don't know what panel either of them are but they are watching the JVC head-on and it uses a new cable to the aerial and is nearer to it, whereas the Samsung uses a very old cable that was already there about 11 years ago or more (they're also planning to get a new aerial and cabling).

I don't know if I'd feel comfortable recommending them a Sony, even I wouldn't pick a Sony no matter what budget I had because I just do not like Android TV and its bloat but on top of that the UI looks overly complicated for seniors IMO compared to the Samsung they have now. The Google voice assistant would be a nice bonus if it was on a different TV since they use them on their phones because they sometimes have difficulty with navigating the apps on them.

They have mentioned LG to me because their friends have one and they tell me the picture is excellent but I tried telling them just because you get the same brand TV doesn't mean you'll get the same picture. That said I do think they would be ok with LG as it's interface is simple enough much like Samsung's but it all depends on whether I can find one that comes recommended (good picture and sound) The nano cell ones look to be above the £500. They told me they saw an LG today it was this one but I don't think it's any good since it's VA type? LG 50UP77006LB (2021) LED HDR 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 50 inch with Freeview Play/Freesat HD, Dark Iron Grey

I've just seen this one its a Nano for under £500 but I cannot find the panel type?

Last edited:

Dodgexander

The two LGs you have picked out are 50" and not 49" so they will have bad viewing angles.
Sony's aren't necessarily better than LG, but since the room has one viewing position that is off-axis you'll want the best viewing angles you can get. Sony use BOE IPS panels on their TVs that have wider viewing angles than LGs that use their own IPS panels.

As far as smart TV goes I don't think Sony's are as behind in usability as they used to be, now they use Google TV instead of Android, LG by comparison have gotten a little more 'complicated' in recent years..between all the smart platforms there's not a huge thing in it now. LG TVs can be intuitive to use, but that's not necessarily a good thing for older people since they aren't used to having to point a remote at a screen Nintendo Wii style to operate the menu system.
Aside from usability though Sony Google TVs don't have all the UK catchup apps- yet. The 2020 models (XH80/XH81 instead of X80J) do though, and run the older Android OS.

I will say Samsung is probably one the most straightforward and simple to use, you don't get a fancy point and squirt remote like you do with LG TVs, and their apps are singular, meaning you don't have to use freeview play or youview to access iPlayer and instead just open up the iPlayer app itself. Its a more logical layout, even if its less intuitive. The reason I haven't mentioned Samsung though is just that I can't recommend ones that will for certain come with an IPS type panel. They sell their TVs with different panel types, and no singular TV in budget is using IPS for sure...so its basically luck of the draw whether you get the panel type you want or not.

Either way, if they prefer an LG and are happy to live with slightly worse viewing angles than Sony then search for a 49" model instead of a 50" otherwise you end up with a TV using a VA panel which will look dark and washed out at the tightest viewing position. Confusingly LG are the opposite to Sony, their 2021 models do have UK catch up apps, whilst their 2020 ones do not.

dsmush

The two LGs you have picked out are 50" and not 49" so they will have bad viewing angles.
Sony's aren't necessarily better than LG, but since the room has one viewing position that is off-axis you'll want the best viewing angles you can get. Sony use BOE IPS panels on their TVs that have wider viewing angles than LGs that use their own IPS panels.

As far as smart TV goes I don't think Sony's are as behind in usability as they used to be, now they use Google TV instead of Android, LG by comparison have gotten a little more 'complicated' in recent years..between all the smart platforms there's not a huge thing in it now. LG TVs can be intuitive to use, but that's not necessarily a good thing for older people since they aren't used to having to point a remote at a screen Nintendo Wii style to operate the menu system.
Aside from usability though Sony Google TVs don't have all the UK catchup apps- yet. The 2020 models (XH80/XH81 instead of X80J) do though, and run the older Android OS.

I will say Samsung is probably one the most straightforward and simple to use, you don't get a fancy point and squirt remote like you do with LG TVs, and their apps are singular, meaning you don't have to use freeview play or youview to access iPlayer and instead just open up the iPlayer app itself. Its a more logical layout, even if its less intuitive. The reason I haven't mentioned Samsung though is just that I can't recommend ones that will for certain come with an IPS type panel. They sell their TVs with different panel types, and no singular TV in budget is using IPS for sure...so its basically luck of the draw whether you get the panel type you want or not.

Either way, if they prefer an LG and are happy to live with slightly worse viewing angles than Sony then search for a 49" model instead of a 50" otherwise you end up with a TV using a VA panel which will look dark and washed out at the tightest viewing position. Confusingly LG are the opposite to Sony, their 2021 models do have UK catch up apps, whilst their 2020 ones do not.
I think I'll probably recommend a 2020 LG there's still some about but unfortunately they aren't from retailers that offer 5 year warranties. As for the magic remote they may find it a bit awkward would it be possible to get another remote that can be used the normal way?

What is the difference between these 2 TV?

dsmush

The UN7100 does not come with the magic remote, instead a traditional style one.
Is this TV part of the UN7100 line I cannot find much info about it

Is it different to these ones?
https://cpc.farnell.com/lg/49un7100...PING&s_kwcid=AL!5616!3!491034902770!!!network}!1434134578735!&gclid=Cj0KCQiAys2MBhDOARIsAFf1D1fDh0HxSCf_vRofCkY5RvCVir0eT7szgPX1bYI5atoym_PHP5j9MJ4aArcMEALw_wcB

Amazon product

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom