Question TV recommendation (and how to connect it to a PC)

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by SouthLondoner, Jul 18, 2015.

1. SouthLondoner

SouthLondoner
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the market for a TV, between 48 and 52inch, budget £ 400 - £600 (electronic gadgets cost way more in Europe than in the US!).
    My main requirement is to be able to connect it to my desktop PC, so I can watch movies, content streamed online, etc. I don't have specific requirements other than this; I would probably like a smart TV which can connect to the internet and has access to BBC's iplayer, but I don't need 4k, or 3 trillion colours, etc.

My PC is 4 years old and doesn't support WiDi.
    What are my options to connect PC and TV? HDMI cable? Should I connect the TV via HDMI and the monitor via VGA? Or is there any gizmo to duplicate the hdmi socket?

The PC has an Nvidia GeForce GTS 450 video card, and an Asus P8z68V-pro motherboard with integrated video card.

I had thought about connecting the TV directly to a hard drive, NAS storage or buying the WD TV (WD TV - Media Player but my reservations are:
    1) it would be more expensive
    2) it's not clear that subtitles would be supported. I watch a lot of foreign videos with subtitles in idx or srt formats. Forums are full of frustrated users who can't get these subtitles to work
    3) it wouldn't work with streaming content which I can't record (or I want to watch live, like foreign news)

Thanks a lot!

2. Visi Goth

Visi Goth
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HDMI is perfect, VGA connector/cable is fine too- I have my laptop connected to a 51" Samsung Plasma and watch movies through Netflix, Amazon and Youtube and also play games this way. You really don't need another device - you can use the Microsoft Media Center - XBMC/Kodi/TVMC softwares as well. The TV will handle what your pc can basically. This is the simplest and cheapest option.
    You really don't need an extra piece of hardware - unless you want a pvr. I see that in the U.K. there are tv's with built in freeview capability so that you can record directly to an external drive?
    That's pretty cool.
    As for recommending a TV - I really only have the experience of using Samsung.

Connecting a PC - I would use a wireless keyboard and mouse. You might need a wireless game controller too.
    You will need a mini HDMI to HDMI cable to connect to the GTS 450 to the TV - best option as the sound is also carried through HDMI so no need for an extra audio cable which you would need with VGA or DVI.