Question TV Recommendation (85+ inch closer to 100)

purepwnage

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I already have a 75" hisense, when I bought it I was on a tight budget but I've thoroughly enjoyed it none the less last 4 years or so. I'm moving to a bigger house so will have more space.

I was looking for a TV between 85-100", it'll be in the main living room so I don't want to go for projectors.

Budget = 5-6€ maybe even up to 8k if it's closer to 95-100"

At the moment best I can see is a couple of 85"/86" LGs and Samsungs around €3k or so, which I'd be happy enough with if there's nothing bigger.

My viewing distance will be about 2.5m I'm only looking at 4k, not 1080 or 8k. My viewing is 70/30 HD/UHD

Larger than 85" is rare, especially in Europe. In 2019 there was only one or two models sold by Sony at 85" alone. In 2020 there's more with Samsung also selling 85" TVs.

The lack of choice makes it a bit easier to navigate the market though. With Samsung models you need to consider the Q80T and above if you use HDR. The higher the number, the better HDR will be.

The 85" Q95T in particular will likely end up being the best value from them if you are looking for a more premium model.

The 8k models kind of work like this:

Q700T=Q80T
Q800T=Q90T
Q900/Q950T= A step above.

The more you spend, the better HDR will be.

The T suffix Samsung models are new 2020 ranges, and will presently be priced on the high side. Probably best not buying one right now if you care about value for money. Last years larger Samsung models were sold at 82", so maybe if you can still find stock on those they will be better value for money.

With Sony there's the 85 ZG9 which is a 2019 TV they are still producing in 2020, or the new ZH8 which is a cut down version with worse dimming. Because one has been out a year already, and the new ZH8 is currently just been released, the prices are similar, so it makes total sense to get the higher tier model.

Beneath those models Sony have the XH9505 which is the minimum you want to aim for if you intend to use HDR on the TV. There's also last years XG9505 if you can still find one at a discount.

So yeah, that is about it. There's not really any other competition. That is unless you are interested in Hisense's laser TV:

Which is effectively a short throw projector using laser tech.

You won't want to consider other brands. LGs LCD TVs are poor TVs with HDR, as are Panasonic and Philips LCD TVs. I don't think TCL even make larger models in the EU yet and apart from the laser TV, Hisense is limited to 75" from modern models.

Hi mate, thanks very much, I think I'll go with that, theres sony 85XG's still around that I've come across, plus it's under my budget as well, I'll stick to this and maybe spend a bit more on sound :)! Cheers!

I've always shyed away from projectors, I'll never have a house big enough with a fully blacked out room dedicated to viewing, but I'll have a look at the Hisense for a different room so thanks for that as well!

Hi mate, thanks very much, I think I'll go with that, theres sony 85XG's still around that I've come across, plus it's under my budget as well, I'll stick to this and maybe spend a bit more on sound :)! Cheers!

I've always shyed away from projectors, I'll never have a house big enough with a fully blacked out room dedicated to viewing, but I'll have a look at the Hisense for a different room so thanks for that as well!
Its not dim light a projector though, that is the idea behind the tech I guess. See: Hisense 100″ Laser TV Review – A 4K UHD, Smart Projector with Screen – Performance – Projector Reviews

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom