TV reception on a E50 problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ShaunIOW, Dec 17, 2003.

1. ShaunIOW

ShaunIOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I connect the TV aerial to my Panny E50 the picture of the 4 terrestrial channels is absolutely dire on my TV - lines, interference etc. Yet if I connect the aerial to the Sky box then the picture is near perfect - any ideas why this would be the case? As I'd rather connect directly to the E50 to eliminate any signal loss when recording from terrestrial TV.

I have my AV stuff connected thus:

Aerial > Sky digibox Antenna-In
    Sky digibox TV SCART > E50 (RGB SCART)
    Sky Digibox VCR SCART > VCR
    Sky Digibox > TV RF-In via Y-splitter
    E50 > TV SCART
    Panny F65 > TV SCART
    VCR RF-Out > TV using Y-splitter

Cheers

2. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    If you get wavy lines then the signal could be too strong for the E50 and needs attentuated. If looping it through sky first looks ok, then just go with that.

3. ShaunIOW

ShaunIOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got it goinmg through the Sky box atm, but the problem is there's now no picture on the E50 from the aerial so the choice is crap picture or no picture.

4. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    You want to loop the RF through all your devices. No need for a splitter. For example:

Aerial -> Sky RF in
    Sky RF out -> E50 RF in
    E50 RF out -> VCR RF in
    VCR RF out -> TV aerial in.

Change the order if necessary.

5. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    The rf out on the e50 may be too close to the channels you want to view causing inteference. Try changing it by holding the function button down for more than 5 seconds.

6. weasel

weasel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Kenfowler for the brilliant piece of advice on E50 reception. I've had diagonal parallel line interference on Channel 5 since I bought my E60, tried in vain to eliminate it. Scanned these threads, tried this and bingo! problem solved. The RF out was on ch21, same as Channel 5! Presumably others must be having this problem, yet amazingly there's nothing in the E60 manual about changing RF out if you get interference.

Re aerial connection, in my setup DVD and VCR both benefit from signal boosting, but the TV (Panny PD30) most definitely does not - boosting adds massive interference. Therefore looping a boosted signal through VCR and DVD to TV gives an inferior TV signal, whereas doing the same with an unboosted signal gives inferior quality on DVD & VCR. So I get the optimum by running an unboosted signal (from analogue cable box) to a splitter, from which one connection direct to TV and another to the booster, from which separate connections to DVD, VCR and all the other TVs round the house (which all benefit from boosting).

Cheers,

Weasel

7. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have to have a signal limiter in the aerial input to my tv as otherwise the signal washes out the picture almost to whiteness. Thought it was a fault initially and even had the first tv replaced to try and cure it before I found that an attanuator from Maplins for about £6 solved the problem.

8. richardjh

richardjh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have 8 bits of kit all on different RF channels and it took some time to sort out interference problems but with the help from here :- http://www.kat5.tv/taboo.html it was easy