TV Projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by LV426, Aug 3, 2001.

1. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,095
    I use both - a TV for the News, Watchdog, etc etc., and the projector for movies (usually DVD, but sometimes taped off air).

You CAN use a projector for TV, of course. You'll need an external tuner (eg Sky or ITV Digital STB, or a VCR for analogue). You won't get any analogue teletext.

But, usually, for best results, projectors need to be used in near-total-darkness. This may not be appropriate for catching up with the latest edition of "Airport" or whatever.

And they do tend to be more expensive to run than TVs - limited bulb life, for example, with DLP and LCD devices, especially if they are switched on and off frequently. They are generally less resiliant than TVs, and, of course, cost a huge amount more to repair or replace.

So, I'd recommend having a smallish, cheapish TV for routine/short use, and a projector for movies, sports, etc., ie., splitting your use of the two sensibly.

As for which one.......now there's a question. I could go into reams and reams about why I chose the Sony VW10HT - but first, you should trawl through this forum to get a spread of views. It all depends on budget, your visual acuity, whether you want to be able to move it, your personal choice..........etc.

[ 03-08-2001: Message edited by: LV426 ]</p>

2. Dangerous

Dangerous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been considering buying a projector for some time now for my 16'x12' lounge. Is it practical to use a projector instead of a TV and if so which one. I currently view a 33" tv backed up by a reasonable home cinema system.<br />Thanks<br />Dave

3. Me

Me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    My Cinema Room is those identical dimentions. We use a Sanyo PLV-30, ceiling mounted and projected onto an Owl 6ft 16:9 electric screen. The results are outstanding. Before we used a pioneer 50" rear projection set.The Sony projector is bright and detailed but the Sanyo nocks it into touch for black level contrast. It can also be had for half the price.

4. StephenR

StephenR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use my PLV-30 for watching TV as well as DVDs. You don't need a totally dark room to enjoy it - I just close the curtains and it's fine in daylight. You can even watch it with the light on if you need to e.g. for reading whilst watching the news in the background. Obviously it looks best in total darkness tough, and there is lamp life to consider.

I am in the process of putting some pictures on my web site of how the projector looks in various conditions, if that's of any help? Check out my thread in General Chat titled My Home Cinema pics for the latest updates.