Tv problem Screen strobing Philips 21:9 Help!!

Blu Ray King

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi people can anyone offer any advice. The bottom half of my tv starts to strobe and flash after being on for about an hour it also makes a buzzing noise while its doing this and it blocks the RF for the remotes aswell, It does this untill the top starts to strobe and then the screen turns itself off or sometimes it just goes away and the screen stays on. After this if i leave the screen on it doesn't come back.
Any help or advice would be very greatfull :lease:

Model: Philips cinema 21:9 56PFL9954H/12

Here's a video i've put up on youtube where you can view the problem:
YouTube - Philips cinema 21:9 tv with strobing problem

Another video of the problem, In HD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBB9Xu1GUZM

Last edited:
Also i want to add that i have contacted Philips twice and first they told me to try changing the cables which i have tried but the buzzing the tv makes tells me it is the tv rather then a dodgey connection. And the second time they said they don't know what is wrong and if i want i can pay for a service which they told me they wouldn't advise as it would be very expensive? (Strange for a company to say they dont advise using their own service). Pretty poor service for there flagship tv costing £4500....

Last edited:
Also i want to add that i have contacted Philips twice and first they told me to try changing the cables which i have tried but the buzzing the tv makes tells me it is the tv rather then a dodgey connection. And the second time they said they don't know what is wrong and if i want i can pay for a service which they told me they wouldn't advise as it would be very expensive? (Strange for a company to say they dont advise using their own service). Pretty poor service for there flagship tv costing £4500....

You need to do a bit of testing yourself first to rule things out and make yourself sure that its definitely a fault then you can make a claim, if under warranty.

What sort of testing do you mean? I've tried changing the cables and running direct from source to tv instead of through amp. I've also tried different hdmi inputs. I also unplugged it for a week while i was away but it just took about three hours for the problem to start instead of one the first time i plugged it back in.

What sort of testing do you mean? I've tried changing the cables and running direct from source to tv instead of through amp. I've also tried different hdmi inputs. I also unplugged it for a week while i was away but it just took about three hours for the problem to start instead of one the first time i plugged it back in.

Yeah I did mean what you have done. Indeed it does make it tricky being that it doesn't happen immediately.

So if happens from multiple connections it means its not a connection problem... etc.

This is what I mean by narrowing it down. Use your best judgment to determine where the problem lies and that way you'll know if it's a problem you can overcome (ie. a user error).

From what I've seen It looks like faulty hardware. Report it to Philips and get them to repair it if it's still under warranty!

Yeah i have tried with philips but they just told me to take it back to the shop i bought it from and get them to repair it:facepalm: -which it looks like i'll have to do (i don't want to because its hours away from where i live and i worry about it getting damaged in transet and also the shop could have it for ages).
This is why i was hoping someone might know what the problem might be so i could either fix it myself or get someone local to fix it.

Yeah i have tried with philips but they just told me to take it back to the shop i bought it from and get them to repair it:facepalm: -which it looks like i'll have to do (i don't want to because its hours away from where i live and i worry about it getting damaged in transet and also the shop could have it for ages).
This is why i was hoping someone might know what the problem might be so i could either fix it myself or get someone local to fix it.

Well as daunting as it might seem, letting your retailer handle it is the best way to go. They have sole responsibility to make sure they get fixed. Letting somebody else tinker with it is just asking for trouble.

I would expect most retailers to offer a loan TV if they required the set to go away. Don't forget this set comes with a 5 year guarantee.

Mine is under warranty but doesn't have a five year one, I think that's an offer only some retailers are offering for an extra premium. I never had the offer.
I will have to take it back to the store. I will ask about a loan tv, Thanks. I'll let you know when i find out what was wrong probably in about 6 months :laugh:

We would like to help you, please let us know in wich country you live. Then we will give you a phone number to reach us.

Excellent example of 'Stretchy vision' !!! Is there no better way to play a standard 16:9 picture on this TV?

We would like to help you, please let us know in wich country you live. Then we will give you a phone number to reach us.

I live in england (United Kingdom).

I live in england (United Kingdom).
Thanks for your quick response. Did you already have contact in England with the Philips helpdesk? Then I can find your name and address in the system and maybe you received a number which begins with 50.
I need this information so I can contact you by phone.
Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom