TV Problem or Internet Problem?

mma3612

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello. I'm a new user to the forum.

A few months back I bought a Sony KD55AG9BU however I am having problems but can't really work out what they are.

Two issues are:

1) Sometimes when switching it on, the white power light will light up, but the screen remains blank. Sometimes it will stay completely blank, sometimes it will get to the Home page after a few minutes and sometimes it needs me to press the Home button on the remote to do anything. Sometimes it just starts perfectly. As it does different things at different times, I haven't been able to work out what the problem, or solution might be.

2) Sometimes while watching something, usually a streaming service like Netflix or Amazon Prime, the program just totally "drops out" and it goes back to the Home menu. It doesn't seem to do this while on stuff like Youtube or Spotify or when viewing from my Virgin box so I wonder if this is actually as problem with the streaming services. I never used to have this issue when previously streaming through an Amazon box.

The TV is connected to the internet via a wired connection and that wired connection goes straight to the router, it's not going through a extender, so I believe I have a fast, reliable connection but something is clearly not right. I don't seem to have internet connection issues with my computer (also an ethernet connection to the router) or my phone / tablet (wifi connections).

I'm not sure if these are problems with the TV or the internet connection. This is my first Android TV and TBH, I'm really disappointed. The "viewing experience" is greatly diminished by the fact it might take me several minutes just to get to the Home page, and then watch a program that might just drop out at any time. Are these normal issues with these type of TVs or is something actually faulty, in which case is it the TV or the internet connection I need to be fixing?

Thanks for any advice.

Hi mma3612 - welcome to the forum!

Is it possible to unplug the Ethernet and connect over WiFi temporarily just to rule out any wiring (Ethernet) issues?

What is your router that it connects to?

HB

Thanks for the response. Yes, I can easily disconnect the ethernet connection and switch to wifi for a while.

I'm connected to a Virgin Hub 4 as supplied by my TV/Broadband supplier.

I actually had someone in to run cables from my upstairs spare room (where the router is) to the downstairs lounge (where the TV is) specifically to make sure I had a strong, stable connection rather than rely on extenders as I had done when I was using an Amazon box to provide signal to my old TV.

Mark

Going by the intermittent symptoms you've listed in 1 I'd say you have a faulty TV and you should return it for a repair or replacement.

What was it like over WiFi?
Have you ruled out your wring causing the issue?

HB

Internet connectivity wouldn't cause the problems the OP listed at “1”

I tend to agree with JayCee. Whilst i do not have the same Sony model you have, my recently purchased Sony has the same processor/ operating system as yours. If I turn off the TV it always reverts to last input when turned on - sometimes takes a couple of seconds if that to respond.
Assuming wiring is at least CAT5(CAT 6 better) then you should not have a problem particularly if you are using VM BB. I recorded 588mbps download on this PC via Cat 6 to VM Hub a few days ago.

Who knows what an incorrectly wired Cat6 port would cause the TV to do? You are probably right but personally I would at least rule it out by completely unplugging the Ethernet cable. It’s hardly a big and lengthy job!

HB

Thanks for your suggestions. I've unplugged the Ethernet and am currently running on wireless only. I had an initial problem where it kept telling me there was no internet even though it said it was connected to the wifi. I had wifi on my phone so I know the wifi was on. In the end I rebooted the router and it connected.

As the problems are intermittent and varied, I'm leaving it like that for a few days and noting what issues arise. I didn't have any drop outs last night, but on one occasion when switching it on, it did just hang there with a blank screen until I pushed the Home button on the remote and then it went to Home.

So it seems like the issues are probably still there, but I'll gather more info over the weekend and report back.

Your comments are much appreciated.

PS - Yes, it is Cat 6 cabling I had installed. I haven't used it for much else other than the TV, but on occasion I've plugged the laptop into it and not noticed any problems.

Thanks for your suggestions. I've unplugged the Ethernet and am currently running on wireless only. I had an initial problem where it kept telling me there was no internet even though it said it was connected to the wifi. I had wifi on my phone so I know the wifi was on. In the end I rebooted the router and it connected.

As the problems are intermittent and varied, I'm leaving it like that for a few days and noting what issues arise. I didn't have any drop outs last night, but on one occasion when switching it on, it did just hang there with a blank screen until I pushed the Home button on the remote and then it went to Home.

So it seems like the issues are probably still there, but I'll gather more info over the weekend and report back.

Your comments are much appreciated.

PS - Yes, it is Cat 6 cabling I had installed. I haven't used it for much else other than the TV, but on occasion I've plugged the laptop into it and not noticed any problems.
Unlikely to be cabling, but, you can test the cabling by connecting a pc or laptop to it at tv end and run cmd and type ping "add your router ip address here" -t hit return button.

There should be no drop outs and the ping should be low and consistent.
Also check the the ttl value.

Wifi can be subject to drop outs and will be inferior to ethernet.

Lots of TVs only have a 100mbps ethernet port.

This being the case then wireless AC mode is far better , and if you are streaming 4K HDR from netflix et al then the ethernet port is not going to cut it.

Mine is an LG , and the ethernet port sucks really badly , nothing works on it , but a gigabit ethernet adaptor attached to the the USB works just fine.

This being the case then wireless AC mode is far better , and if you are streaming 4K HDR from netflix et al then the ethernet port is not going to cut it.

Mine is an LG , and the ethernet port sucks really badly , nothing works on it , but a gigabit ethernet adaptor attached to the the USB works just fine.
My LG with a 100mbps Ethernet port streams Netflix, Amazon and IPlayer 4k HDR absolutely fine.

I believe my TV does only have a 100 mbps ethernet port and it did dawn on me that a wifi connection might be faster, but I figured a slower, more stable connection would be best. I (maybe naively) assumed that with a 4K TV, they wouldn't fit an ethernet port that was too slow to deal with the stream. Maybe wifi might be faster, but surely even 100 mbps ethernet should be able to deal with it, otherwise why sell it if its not fit for that purpose?

Anyway, here's my test results (averaged from three tests in each location):

Wifi connection in the room where the router is:
Download - 217
Upload - 23
Ping - 15
TTL - 64

Wifi connection in the room where the TV is:
Download - 160
Upload - 31
Ping - 15
TTL - 64

Ethernet connection in the room where the TV is:
Download - 360
Upload - 32
Ping - 15
TTL - 64

Thanks

Mark

I believe my TV does only have a 100 mbps ethernet port and it did dawn on me that a wifi connection might be faster, but I figured a slower, more stable connection would be best. I (maybe naively) assumed that with a 4K TV, they wouldn't fit an ethernet port that was too slow to deal with the stream. Maybe wifi might be faster, but surely even 100 mbps ethernet should be able to deal with it, otherwise why sell it if its not fit for that purpose?

Anyway, here's my test results (averaged from three tests in each location):

Wifi connection in the room where the router is:
Download - 217
Upload - 23
Ping - 15
TTL - 64

Wifi connection in the room where the TV is:
Download - 160
Upload - 31
Ping - 15
TTL - 64

Ethernet connection in the room where the TV is:
Download - 360
Upload - 32
Ping - 15
TTL - 64

Thanks

Mark

For netflix 4k anything over 25 Mbs is good and a 100mbs port is way more than adequate for any of the streaming services.

Even apple only requires 41 Mbs.

I noticed you have upload/download did you use a speedtest app to do this?

If a speedtest app your connection is tested to an external server and not your router.

Eg my router i have ping 1ms and ttl 64, if i ping an external server i get ping 45ms and ttl 58.

Using speedtest app i get ping 23 ms, dowload 222 and upload 20 on ethernet.
Which is slower than yours and i stream perfectly with no issues.

What broadband speed do I need for streaming? | 4K TV, UHD, Netflix - Cable.co.uk

Ethernet is superior to wifi, wifi is prone to dropouts from interference

100 meg is more than enough to handle any 4k streaming service.
If your streaming 4k rips from a nas it will be tighter as they use a higher bandwidth than netflix or apple. Which uses 41Mbs at max.

If you have trouble using ethernet its a problem with your cable, ethernet port or switch. Using dhcp it should plug and go.

Yes, I used an online broadband speed checker. It's the only way I know how to check speeds.

I had asked to check connection to your router, to test connection for dropouts.

To check a connection back to your router, you would plug in a laptop or pc to the port.
In win 10 in spyglass next to start button flag, type cmd and open it. Then use command i gave you.
This doesnt test speed but will test connection for dropouts which would indicate an issue with cabling or router and or switch. The ping and ttl should be steady with no swings in ping e.g.going from 1ms then 250ms.
That would indicate a cabling fault or faulty port on switch/router somewhere.

But the speedtest figures show you have a faster connection using ethernet and its more than adequate for 4k streaming from netflix/youtube/apple/prime. :)

Ethernet is superior to wifi, wifi is prone to dropouts from interference

100 meg is more than enough to handle any 4k streaming service.
If your streaming 4k rips from a nas it will be tighter as they use a higher bandwidth than netflix or apple. Which uses 41Mbs at max.

If you have trouble using ethernet its a problem with your cable, ethernet port or switch. Using dhcp it should plug and go.
"Should" be superior to wifi , but it depends what you have .... ancient tech like 100mbps ports is going to struggle to beat the latest wifi , even with user contention.

With regards to my tv , Its a well documented issue with LG Oled , see the owners thread on here ,

The Ethernet port regularly latches to less than 10mbps , either software bug or hardware , the workaround is a usb ethernet adaptor , which gives gigabit and a marked improvement.

I had asked to check connection to your router, to test connection for dropouts.

To check a connection back to your router, you would plug in a laptop or pc to the port.
In win 10 in spyglass next to start button flag, type cmd and open it. Then use command i gave you.
This doesnt test speed but will test connection for dropouts which would indicate an issue with cabling or router and or switch. The ping and ttl should be steady with no swings in ping e.g.going from 1ms then 250ms.
That would indicate a cabling fault or faulty port on switch/router somewhere.

But the speedtest figures show you have a faster connection using ethernet and its more than adequate for 4k streaming from netflix/youtube/apple/prime. :)
Other thing you could try if you are getting issues to clear the network settings cache.

Go to apps/showall apps/network settings/ clear cache

Its a well documented issue with LG Oled , see the owners thread on here ,

The Ethernet port regularly latches to less than 10mbps , either software bug or hardware , the workaround is a usb ethernet adaptor , which gives gigabit and a marked improvement.
Thats a faulty port and you should raise a warranty claim as it should be capable of 100meg.

Thats a faulty port and you should raise a warranty claim as it should be capable of 100meg.

As Ive said , they issued a workaround and are not accepting the issue as a warranty issue

Yes, I used an online broadband speed checker. It's the only way I know how to check speeds.

You may already do this, but do you reboot your tv once a week, as it is a computer really and like most computers will benefit from a weekly restart to clear memory and prevent lag.

Hold down powerbutton on remote and option to restart will appear.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom