1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Problem - high pitched noise

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Lee J B, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Lee J B

Lee J B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I don't know if anyone has encounteredthis problem before with their TV, but basically, my sister has just let me have her Sony Trinitron set. From the moment I switched it on I could hear a really high-pitched noise - like a dog whistle or something! It's extremely irritating, and even when I turn the volume up it's still looming in the background. After half an hour it gives me a headache!

I thought the problem could be to do with one of the internal speakers on the side (as that appears to be where the sound it originating from). The thing is though, when i turn the volume all the way down I can still hear it. It seems the level of the TV's volume has no link to the dog whistling noise!

What I really want to know is whether it will be possible for this problem to be fixed by a TV repair man. What I don't want to do, is to end up paying a £70 call-out charge for something that isn't fixable (or ridiculously expensive!!).

Any ideas, knowledge or feedback would be most welcome.

Thanks,
    Lee

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,907
    Fairly typical of CRT TVs. AFAIK, it's usually the line output transformer making some mechanical noise. I doubt that it's fixable.

3. Lee J B

Lee J B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how much do you think a repair man would charge to replace one of those?