TV prob...

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by azztigma, Oct 10, 2004.

1. azztigma

azztigma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been having this prob for a while now and its getting quite irritating...sorry if there are terms for this, I'm very new and no pretty much nothing...

Anyway I think there's something wrong with the tube or something, but Im not 100% sure, I don't know much about this stuff...anyway my TV always has horizontal lines going across it, each line is about 1"(2.5cm) inch apart, and they are not perfectly horizontal lines, they are going up a diagonal about 1cm up from the lowest part(left side) to the highest part(right side)...and the color is a bit different too...seems a lot brighter...is there anyway to fix this? or is it permanently damaged?

2. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    It sounds like the scanning spot is visible during field flyback. This is where the spot quickly goes back to the top of the screen to start a new picture.
    It should be blanked out for this flyback time but this is not happening properly on your TV.
    I don't think the tube is the cause of this fault and it should be repairable. However, if the TV is getting old it may be time to start looking for a replacement.
    :(

3. azztigma

azztigma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm i c, well the tv isnt that old actually...anyone know a way to repair it though?

4. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    If as johnjackthom predicts its the beams not being blanked during flyback then the 'Screen' voltage requires adjustment. Very easy to do under workshop conditions but you're dealing with a high voltage 'tweak' and I would not think anyone inexperienced should be recommended to try it at home. Sorry not to be more helpful, regards, yt

5. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In addition...

Changing the screen control also alters white balance slightly. You may not notice, but just be warned on some (cheap) sets that the change can be quite marked. The effect you describe is indeed known as flyback.

One other thing...How long has this effect been noticeable?