1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Pricing trends? Thoughts please

Discussion in 'TVs' started by blzbob, Apr 23, 2003.

1. blzbob

blzbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Avoiding widescreen a couple years ago due to price I opted for a 29" 4:3 for £500 (when I would have struggled to get a decent 28" widescreen for this price and they are seriously small in screen area).

I have seen a lot of reductions in price and am looking for opinions on future trends. Drops in plasma prices(LG etc) are probably starting to push the 36" CRTs down and the 32" appears to be getting quite competitive.

Are the prices going to continue to drop as I don't want to buy a 36" 16:9 (Picture frame 2) at £1.5k and get caught if plasma price drops push them to £1k by Xmas. Are plasmas genuinely expensive to produce, ie will they drop in price once they go mass production(for the growth phase of the product lifecycle).

My 29" works fine and is too big for upstairs (unless I buy a bigger house) so I am not in a rush but would like a bigger TV for 4 player Nightfire etc..

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Market forces will always drive down prices... look at LCD monitors at the moment profit margins are virtually non-existant, they'll be looking to redress the balance eventually. No one can predict when a large drop will take place!

Plasma Screens are expensive to produce but of course they will reduce in price at some point.

In any case you need to decide which type of TV you want, for the ultimate in picture quality CRT is still the way to go. However if things like geometry convergence (and size) annoy/bother you then wait a while. ;)