1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"TV"-plasma vs "Monitor"-plasma?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ColRuby, Nov 15, 2004.

1. ColRuby

ColRuby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm told from Hitatchi that 42PD5200 has the same panel and is equal to 42PMA500, except that PMA500 has no tuner and DVI-input. Lack of DVI-input is not acceptable, so that "monitor" is out of question... However, Sony has a plasma "monitor" that have DVI, model PFM-42X1N (1024x768, 1billion colours, 3000:1 contrast ratio).
    This Sony "monitor" outperforms that Hitatchi 42PD5200 (1024x1024, 16.7mill colours, 1000:1 contrast ratio) - on paper spec... Plasma "monitors" are not reviewed as much as plasma "TVs" by the AV-magazines. Therefore I have no ideá how this "monitor" performs playing video/TV compared to plasma "TVs". I will ONLY use DVI-input, so I don't care about scart, composite and s-video. Also I don't care about built-in tuner, and neither (of course) speakers.

2. ColRuby

ColRuby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...and any comments on "TV" plasma Panasonic TH-42PX25U (1024x768, 1billion colours, 3000:1 contrast ratio)?

3. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Yep it's a plasma TV specific to the USA, you won't get that TV via normal channels in the UK.

If you're just after a PDP and not a fully integrated TV, have you considered the Panasonic TH-42PHD6BX or its 7th generation equivalent and specify an optional DVI board for the panel?

I'm not too sure on the Sony but in general whilst I have found the picture of Sony's pleasing to my eye, even ALiS flavours, I have found them to be too expensive for what you get, especially when compared to the competition.

S.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    ColRuby

Keep in mind if your looking at Digital connectivity via DVI you have to ensure your covered for both PC and Video usage.

On the PC side ensure the DVI (or HDMI) Input supports the signal format and refresh rates your after and on the Video side you have to ensure a DVI Input is HDCP compliant if you plan on inputting a signal from an HDMI or DVI with HDCP equipped DVD player (and again you have to ensure the Digital Input is compliant with the signal format your DVD player is outputting).

Don't assume anything with DVI or HDMI.

Best regards

Joe

5. ColRuby

ColRuby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have now spoken directly with both Sony and Pioneer (Norway). Both tells me that "PC/Display"-plasmas does not have the same picture processing as "TV"-plasmas. If this is equal to other brands I don't know, but buying a Sony or Pioneer "PC/Display" insted of "TV" mainly using it for DVD/TV is not very smart at all... just forget it everyone else who might wonder about this...

I'm going for a Pioneer PDP-435HDE! As far as I can see it is by far the best one (allthough a bit expensive). It also looks like to me that almost as importent as the plasma-tv is the DVD-player. I'm going here for a DV-868AVi (see that Arcam DV-79 also is very good).

What kind of cable brand/type (HDMI of course) is also something to look closer on... I have always thought that digital is digital (if it works it works kind of thing...). However, I've seen a lot of people here (and elsewhere) that have tested it to not be like that (if someone disagree I would very much like to hear the reason why), so I think I have to believe them... don't I?

6. apj30

apj30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure I agree... the PFM-42X1N is classed as a PC/Display but the picture quality is awesome - I use it for Sky+ and DVD, component input and am delighted. I bought it because I did not need or want a display with built-in tuner or speakers.

There's a comprehensive review at this site also commenting on its DVD/TV playing abilities:

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatvreviews/sony-pfm42x1-review.html