1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Picture Wrapped Over Top of Screen?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by tjollimore, Jun 5, 2005.

1. tjollimore

tjollimore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Way back in '97 I bought a refurbished 27" JVC TV for about the same price as they're going for now. I didn't expect it to last this long, but it's been doing well. Lately, the picture 'wraps' over the top of the screen. You can see an elongated 'phantom' of it in reverse. At first, it was only an inch or so, but now it's around 4 inches. I also thought it was a copy at first, but now I see that it's the actual picture, so it's like the top is cut off.

Is there an easy way to adjust this, or is buying a new set an alternative to spending money to repair?

2. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    It's called frame foldover. Probably the field output IC beginning to fail, in which case it will get gradually worse or, if you're lucky, it could just be a dry joint. Use the good old fashioned technical trick of a few taps with the palm of the hand on the top of the set. If it's a dry joint, the fault will probably change in sympathy with the taps, if not, the IC is most likely.

If the IC fails completely, the picture will probably collapse to a bright horizotal line. If that happens, make sure you switch off quickly otherwise the high beam current can burn the tube and leave a permanent mark if you do get it fixed.

3. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    As above but note something as simple as a leaky cap can cause this too. Try the tap test and if that doesn't work it's TV repair shop time(or DIY if you know what you are doing!!!!!!)