TV picture on widescreen

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Verity, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Verity

Verity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    I've never actually seen a widescreen television in real life, and I'm wondering what a normal television picture looks like on a wide screen. Doesn't the picture look a bit odd with black bands either side, or does one get used to it?

2. Verity

Verity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This isn't a wind up, I really don't know how a widescreen looks and works. Is it true that widescreen TV makes the picture seems too squashed and people look fat?

3. marvinbush911

marvinbush911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Daewoo DUB2850 switches automatically between formats automatically. If it was intended for 4:3, that is what it shows, likewise widescreen 16:9.

I can also select these manually and can have a squished picture if I like or watch it is it was intended...

Would imagine that other sets feature similar functions.

So er no.. nothing looks squished and the black bands top n bottom are only there in widescreen...

4. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    No, this only happens when owners use their sets incorrectly by using the wrong picture aspect ratio setting mode...i.e. zooming the 4x3 picture to fill the screen etc.
    A 4X3 pic on a widescreen set will have black bands either side and that is the way it is meant to be viewed...you do get used to it...but with a widescreen TV and a digital Freeview or Satellite box most programmes are broadcast in widescreen these days and the pic fills the screen in the correct proportions.
    Just take a look in the TV display section of Comet or any large TV retailers and you will see for yourself.

5. Verity

Verity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank-you JayCee and Marvinbush911,
    I appreciate your feedback. I'm pretty much house bound and have no opportunity to visit large stores, so I'm having to do all my shoping online. I want to buy a CRT tv with integral digital tuner, but the only one I have found is widescreen. You have reassured me, that I will find watching widescreen an ok experience.

6. marvinbush911

marvinbush911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Daewoo DUB2850 I got online from Asda for less than £230 delivered. It has IDTV. Same price as QED, so I assume they have some kind of partnership. I'm happy with mine, it has a great picture. It is also a nice looking set, especially with the black surround. Silver TV's detract from the screen IMO. Takes up suprisingly little space at the back.

[​IMG]

7. ProDave

ProDave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    The correct way to view a 4:3 picture on a widescreen set is, as you thought, with pillar box bars up the sides. That way nothing is squashed. BUT it does take a bit more getting used to that top and bottom bars when viewing a WS picture on a 4:3 set.

However most sets I see in use in peoples houses have them set to one of the "stretchy vision" modes that distort a 4:3 picture to fill the 16:9 screen, and then yes you do get short fat people.

Don't assume in this "digital" age that everything will be alright all of the time, automatically. Take for example UKtv History on freeview. A lot of the time they display a 14:9 picture in a 4:3 frame. So a widescreen set, thinks it's showing a 4:3 picture and puts the side bars on. But the broadcaster has already included top and bottom bars as part of the picture. Result: a "postage stamp" picture with bars top bottom and both sides. Rediculous.

The only way to get it to display properly is to select "zoom 14:9" manually, so you just get thin side bars.