1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tv/pc

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by baldbird, Dec 3, 2003.

1. baldbird

baldbird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    right, here's my plan.

A pc in my dining room with 5:1 speakers so i have music in my dining room. then connect the pc to my tv etc so i can watch anything on my pc on my tv if i want. Spec wise my systems up to it - p43ghz, 120HDD, good sound and graphics card - but nothing on for tv-out.

Any suggestions as to the best way to do it ?

cheers

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Best TV-Out I've found is Radeon-based, a 7500 was fine, a 9600 non-Pro is great, allows higher-res though in practice on my 28" Tosh 1024x768 was only just about usable as a desktop resolution, for video playback 800x600 is fine .. is this what you're asking?

3. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have/get a Radeon you might want to try it this way :-

http://www.idiots.org.uk/vga_rgb_scart/index.html

I haven't tried it myself but it looks to be sound in theory and relatively easy to do!

Alternatively, a transcoder might produce a better quality signal for desktop.

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Would RGB make any useful difference on a TV? PJ/plasma yes, but would a normal TV benefit from this?

5. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    There would be an improvement as you would no longer be using the scaled tv-out chip, it would be direct from VGA at the correct video resolution

6. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Is this sort of thing any good?

7. baldbird

baldbird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wireless or not doesn't bother me too much. just the best way of doing it. I basically want to start using my PC as my media system for the house but(as I think a lot of us are) I don't want my pc in the living room - i like to have one room - music one room - tv so pc in music but connected to tv. so i need to know the best output to the tv (i think) !

8. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The signal to TV will be limited by the TV's resolution and refresh rate, won't it? Not such a problem with 100Hz TV, but standard PAL TV signals are very low res/refresh. Nevertheless, you will get much better image from RGB than S-Video TV-out, which is only moderate-poor quality.

A Radeon would be the card to get, really, so you could try it with S-Video TV-out. If it's OK for you stick with that. Otherwise try either a transcoder (don't recommend any of the wireless video senders) or making up your own VGA->SCART cable. Alternatively, retire the TV and use the PC + capture card + DScaler on a decent screen. You won't regret it.

9. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The X-card offers RGB out (optional IIRC) & would probably be the better option. Haven't used it though.....

10. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Limited to DVD and MPEG4 etc. with SCART add-on though. Otherwise uses VGA pass-thru.

11. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    How about trying this ?
    I just read about it in another thread (Wireless audio from PC to HiFi) - JohnG found it...
    might have to get one myself.....