TV, PC and AVR ATMOS

baggiejunior

Standard Member
im using a samsung Q90R which is HDMI 2.0 as my tv monitor which is great, using my RTX 3090 which is HDMI 2.1 on my PC and i get 4k 120hz but only stereo sound through ARC to my onkyo receiver due to it only passing through 4K 60hz hence using ARC rather lose sound than FPS.

My question is if i buy a new onkyo receiver with HDMI 2.1 will i be able to passthrough 4K 120hz and get Dolby ATMOS audio too instead of stereo even though my tv is only HDMI 2.0?

any helps greatly appreciated

dante01

Distinguished Member
Who knows?

There are as yet no ONkyo models inclusive of HDMI version 2.1.

In theory yes, the AVR should be able to passthrough 4K 120Hz encoded video and ONkyo have indicated that they will be using chipsets that don't exhibit the issues associated with the early HDMI version 2,1 receivers from the likes of Denon, Marantz and Yamaha.

You cannot however say that the new ONkyo models will definately have no issues until there are actual models available that have been tested and do not exhibit issues.

If using a TV that isn't able to handle or display 4K 120Hz then you'd still not be able to pass such video through the AV receiver to it, but the source should limit you to video that the TV can handle. THis should effect the audio you get sent to the AV receiver by the same source if making a direct HDMI connection to said AVR and if the AVR has the ability to handle and process the audio in question.

You can use an older TV that isn't HDMI version 2.1 compliant with newer AV receivers and devices that include HDMI version 2.1 compiance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

baggiejunior

Standard Member
im looking at the new 2021 TX-NR5100 which releases next month which was unveiled at CES 2021.
i was just curious if i would get Atmos audio without my whole setup being HDMI 2.1 the tv itself outputs 4K 120hz i just dont know if passthrough would support atmos under the same HDMI. unfortunately the TV is the broken link in the chain as it would be the only part not HDMI 2.1

Upvote 0

dante01

Distinguished Member
You'd still get Atmos even if the other components are not HDMI version 2.1. Atmos isn't reliant upon HDMI version 2.1 and neither does it require anything that HDMI version 2.1 introduces.

THe reason you couldn't pass it through your TV is because you'd need both the TV and the AV receiver to be eARC compliant in order to pass the HD encoded TrueHD the Atmos was packaged with through the TV and out to the AV receiver. Some older TVs also limite audio sourced via external device to just 2 channels is passing such sources through a TV.

The issues you had were basically caused by your TV's audio handling capabilities and not because of the HDMI version.

Upvote 0

dante01

Distinguished Member
I don't think you are understanding what I've posted?

The video you are outputting via the source diesn't determine the audio you get.

Some streaming srrvices will however only include Atmos in association with UHD video content, but that is a choice they make and not a restriction imposed by the HDMI specifications. Atmos doesn't require HDMI version 2.1. You'll find it on many 1080p HD Blu-ray titles and it isn't something you get just with 4K UHD.

If outputting content from your PC to the AV receiver that includes Atmos then you should get Atmos irrespective of the video signal acompannying the audio. What you cannot do is output video to the AV receiver for it to be passed through to a dispklay that hasn't the ability to handle that video.

The type of video you are outputting from the PC shouldn't be downmixing the audio or result in you getting just 2 channel stereo That issue can only have been caused by the PC reading the EDID of the destination and determining it was unable to handle anything more than 2 channel stereo or an issue with the way you'd configured the video card and audio output from that PC.

Upvote 0

baggiejunior

Standard Member
yes i think im getting very confused

i was under the impression to get 4K 120hz and Atmos i would need HDMI 2.1 just because of the pure amount of data required for all 3 things at once

Upvote 0

dante01

Distinguished Member
Atmos has been with us for some time now, well in advance of HDMI version 2.1 being introduced. There's absolutely no requirement to have HDMI version 2.1 in order to facilitate Atmios. Atmos is simply metadata included and streamed within either a Dolby Digital Plus or TrueHD compressed audio package. Even Blu-ray players predating Atmos can output this metadata.

Upvote 0

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Surely the easiest solution in this case is to run one hdmi cable from pc direct into tv, that gives you up to 4k @120 on the tv.
Then run a second hdmi cable from your pc to your amp but configure the video to only be 4k (or even 1080p) but for the sound output to be full HD audio with Atmos, with the caveat as Dante says the source audio must have it in the first place

Upvote 0

baggiejunior

Standard Member
Surely the easiest solution in this case is to run one hdmi cable from pc direct into tv, that gives you up to 4k @120 on the tv.
Then run a second hdmi cable from your pc to your amp but configure the video to only be 4k (or even 1080p) but for the sound output to be full HD audio with Atmos, with the caveat as Dante says the source audio must have it in the first place
i never thought of that i was using arc and getting stereo sound. ive moved cables around ive got no sound now i just need to work out how to get the sound to come through do i need 2 hdmi ports on my graphics card? or can i use the motherboard one?

didnt seem to work couldnt get any sound to come through :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
You would normally have both HDMI cables from the 3090.

I think from memory you would need to extend the desktop so your secondary display is at a resolution and refresh that your avr supports.

Then on the speaker option (assuming windows 10) next to the clock you should be able to select the alternative output as the active speakers. Make sure your onkyo is then playing that output.

In which ever software you are using for playback make sure that you enabled pass through and that’s it to the avr and that the supported options of the amp are checked.

Lots of people including myself use this to get round the issue with PCs and “older” avrs

Upvote 0

baggiejunior

Standard Member
i only have one HDMI port would this work with a Display port to HDMI cable? as the other 3 ports are display port on my 3090.
also can i clarify your saying the Display port to HDMI to my receiver is a "second monitor" on Nvidia control panel?

Upvote 0

baggiejunior

Standard Member
OMG its working!!! got a Display port to HDMI and it works only issue is i want to make sure my framrate is still good so ill test that.

also it wont allow me to select my front height speakers in the windows 10 sound settings it seems to think theyre extra surround speakers at the rear. upon testing in dolby access it seems the height channels may be working though :)

i just want to say thankyou so so much for your help, im really grateful

Upvote 0

dante01

Distinguished Member
Atmos isn;t channel based. You need sopecial software on the PC ro enable it to send the audio using Dolby MAT:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

baggiejunior

Standard Member
You would normally have both HDMI cables from the 3090.

I think from memory you would need to extend the desktop so your secondary display is at a resolution and refresh that your avr supports.

Then on the speaker option (assuming windows 10) next to the clock you should be able to select the alternative output as the active speakers. Make sure your onkyo is then playing that output.

In which ever software you are using for playback make sure that you enabled pass through and that’s it to the avr and that the supported options of the amp are checked.

Lots of people including myself use this to get round the issue with PCs and “older” avrs
My onkyo died to the hdmi fault looking for a new receiver now. guessing by your comment i can use any atmos compatible receiver and wire it the same way?

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom