1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Owners, read this! (Oh god, not again!)

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by PoochJD, Nov 18, 2004.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

The BBC's going to fleece-us all again, next April! See... here!

Rotten :censored:

Either let us pay for just the channels we want, or find another way around this issue! Hell, the BBC's supposed to be a public body, but I don't see it giving me much value for money! :mad:

Pooch

2. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Totally agree, what a bunch of ****ers ! I don't even watch their crappy channels most of the time. I don't have a TV aerial and have to rely on satellite TV. Before anyone says 'but they provide so much more' thats ******. The only service I do use regularly is Radio2 and even that is not worth the money.

3. leon

leon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    more of the good old rip of britain even more of a reason for me to move to france or spain :clap:

4. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,207
    The rise would help provide "a strong and distinctive schedule of high quality programmes," said Ms Jowell.

So what the hell, has it been providing us with?? I thought this was the very same excuse every year for having a TV licence!

5. Master Rahl

Master Rahl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You get to watch BBC news. :)

6. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Prefer ITV news

7. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826

thats the funnest thing ive read today!!!! ITV NEWS!! Its a contrdiction in terms!!

so the fee is going up by £5.50 big deal, i can afford it and so can everyone one here!!

just sit back and imagine a world of ITV TV or even better one run by SKY!! Imagine a world of kids TV dominated by ads for toys and rubbish food, imagine a world with no BBC news or a world without the BCC website which is the best in the world. Imagine a world without BBC radio - how many members were on here not 3 weeks ago lamenting the death of the great John Peel (RIP) would have been allowed his show on a commercial station? thats right no he wouldn't.

i hardly think that £126.50 is a rip off for what we get. I for one am happy to pay it - how much do you pay for sky? and what do they do, chop up programs, censor them make you watch 18 mins of ads for every hour. do they offer the range of programming that the BBC does? thats right again - no!

The BBC is one of the greatest things about this country and is the envy of the world and all you have to pay is £2.46 a week!! jesus you cant rent a film for that!! I cant believe that people can be so short sighted. Next time your abroad on holiday turn on the TV and see what :censored: the rest of the world watches.

Gary

8. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372

Well as I don't use any of the facilites listed above I think it's a rip off :lesson: :D

Give me the Discovery channels any day over the dross the beeb pumps out.

9. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Mylo, are you really going to expect us to beliebve that you NEVER watch, listen or log onto anything BBC related?

you dont watch match of the day? or the world cup, or the olympics? you didn't sit down on 9/11 and watch the BCC news. you have never listened to radio 1?

that is very hard to believe.

Gary

10. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    I don't watch the news or listen to it, same as I don't read the national papers. I read the local rags but that’s it. As stated above the only service I intentionally use is Radio2. I may come across a program that is of some interest but they are the exception not the rule.

Edit: The BBC think that the British Superbike championship is so unimportant that they show it a week after the race has taken place, they would rather show tiddly winks or anything else :nono:

11. Adderson

Adderson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How can you moan, £125 to watch only fools & horses & dad's Army repeats & re-hashes of old programmes (striclty come dacing??)
    Where else are you going to watch changing antquies??
    The beeb went down hill when Why Don't You finished!!!

Arh, the nanny state £125 for two channels (forget the digital rubbish it just shows the same shows) or £360 for access to around 300 on Sky???

Come back Thora Hurd!!!

12. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    They didn't buy the new Farscape series so why do they need more money

1) Sack Stuart Murphy - save a bit
    2) Pay Dead Ender actors less - save a lot
    3) Sell all logo machines and sack logo designers - save even more

13. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,354
    From a previous thread on the subject.
    Also the rise does not seem to out of line with inflation.

14. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Well lets see what we get (or got recently) for our money:-

The Olympics
    Excellent football coverage (we all want match of the day)
    The Planets
    Blue Planet
    Little Britain
    Spooks
    Panormama
    Excellent documentries (Remember 'The Hunt For Britains Paedophilles')
    Educational programmes second to none.
    The best impartial news coverage.
    An excellent website, from which you can find the current news, food recipies and CV help, you name it its on there.
    No adverts!

Currently watching 'Space Odessy' and 'The Fight - The Story of Boxing', both excellent, especially the fight its the best sports programme i've ever seen.

Yet some ppl seem happier paying £60 a month for a subscription that has adverts! Funny old world.

On these forums I have seen more complaints about Sky/C5 & C4 than the BBC, must be doing something right.

And lets not forget that the BBC is one of the true independent stations of the world, not influenced by Murdoch or the govt, willing to challange the establishment and question ppl where others dare to tread, its also repected world wide, very few countries have a service like this, if any.

15. Adderson

Adderson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And only fools and horses

16. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,613
    Put into perspective, most people will be paying $ky between £15 and £50 ish a month. So that's between 3 and 9 months worth of $ky.
    Now I know $ky and the BBC do very different things, but just look at the vast difference in quality between
    1) our TV and American TV - American TV has waaay too many advert breaks. I mean adverts after the opening and before the closing titles ?!! Rediculous.
    2) the quality of programmes on BBC channels and on $ky 1, mix etc.
    Let's face it, $ky's schedule of programming is hardly cerebral. Whereas the Beeb give us some great quality programming - QI, Blackadder, The Office, Working Lunch and The Daily Politics spring to immediate mind. And the best thing about the Beeb is that there are none of those mind blowingly annoying compensation and loan adverts which are plagueing C5 and the other 'low-brow' channels. Trash like 'I'm a celebrity', BB, and most of the other horrid reality programs are on the other channels.

Yes $ky subscription give us the news and the documentary channels, and finally movies are availabe in DD. But the transmission quality is rubbish, too.
    Having said that there was a mild earth quake in the Midlands a couple of years ago and $ky news was reporting it and on the phone to people in the area and BBC's news 24 wasn't covering it at all, so Sky won out by a mile, there.

I don't 'like' having to pay the money but I don't think it's bad value.

17. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    My view is very simple.
    The price is not the issue, anything you have to pay for which you don't want can not be considered good value for money.

Roll on analogue shut off and there is viable option for the BBC to become a proper subscription service, those that want the BBC can pay for the BBC and those that don't want to pay can not watch it.
    I suspect that the BBC would still be very popular with the UK public if they are given the choice and not forced to support a PSB broadcaster who still spends hundreds of millions competing with commercial broadcasters.
    At this time I pay the license fee because I don't want to end up in court for watching SKY or the other commercial broadcasters, that situation just defies belief!

18. TBH1

TBH1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No matter what we pay for Sky, whether £15 or £40, we pay by choice - -if we don't wanna watch Sky programs, we don't subscribe; with the BBC we have no choice, we have to pay ( and before someone says that we have a choice to have a TV or not, lets stay in the real world here !!! ). Its just another tax - -and do we really believe that they won't find another excuse for taxing us when we do go digital ??

19. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,207
    i don't care that programmes are often repeated on sky....it just means i can record more on the tivo, without missing any episodes!

I must admit i have soft spot for the BBC website, has it has a considerable amount actually worth reading on there!

20. TBH1

TBH1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    website is good - - -but why should people without PC's pay for it ??

21. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I've gotta say im with GaryD on this one. I would rather pay £2.46 a week to watch some of the superb programmes the BBC has to offer than watch the likes of Terminator 3 on Ch 5 with advert after friggin advert every few minutes. I nearly switched it off cos off the continuos bloody adverts argggggggggh :mad:
    Think of the numerous comedy programmes that have come from the Beeb over the last 30 years, the list is FAR too long to even start listing then look at the absolute dross comedies transmitted by ITV. Yes you probably could find some good programmes on the other channels but these are certainly few and far between. Long Live the Beeb :clap:

Matt

22. manny

manny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    if the licence fee was done away with and the bbc became a commercial broadcaster, we would basically have another itv. i would pay a fee of £1000 to avoid that!

23. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Against that though you have to remember that they persist in airing Eastenders, you can easily undo so much good with a big mistake. :laugh:

24. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,354
    You mean like paying extra for your food and other goods including insurance because of the commercial channels?

How will the analogue shut off help there?

25. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    Another one with GaryD - I think the BBC is fantastic. :thumbsup: They produce some quality programming, no advert breaks and an excellent news/radio service. Tons of UK orientated programming aimed at the UK market. Even US programming is better on BBC - 24 Series 3 was unwatchable on Sky 1 due to the regular advert breaks. Long may the licence fee remain with us! :lesson:

Those who want more/different programming can pay extra for Sky - but as many Sky programmes are only affordable to Sky due to a Sky first/BBC later agreement then there really cannot be any whinging about paying for the licence fee.

All IMHO of course.

26. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    So far you haven't sold it to me yet. Apart from the Olympics I didn't/don't watch anything mentioned.

Mylo:)

27. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    The most amazing abuse I have ever seen was with the digital channel ITV2. In the middle of a film they were showing the picture squeezes into half and the rest is taken up with a coming next banner. After thirty sec or so the film continues , this is smack bang in the middle of the film and in addition to the ad breaks. I swear to almighty god I will never watch ITV2 ever again. I felt violated....

The BBC would be a bargain at twice the fee. :clap:

28. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    HI,

My, haven't I stirred up a right big old hornet's nest here! :laugh: In all seriousness, I object to the licence fee for two reasons:

1) Like car tax discs, you have to pay it, regardless of whether you use the car at all, or in this case, watch or use any of the BBC's services (be it radio, TV or website, etc). That can't be right!

2) The fact that every year, the licence fee goes up, and there seems to be less and less of what I want to watch on the BBC. Yes, I agree that the BBC does make some outstanding material. But, I don't actually watch a lot of that material.

I don't watch sport, because I'm not a sport's fan, and that includes the Olympics, the World Cup, Rugby Union, Wimbledon, etc, etc. I don't have that much of an interest in nature documentaries in general, so the BBC's "The Blue Planet" was surplus to my interests. I hate soaps, so out goes "Eastenders", "Doctors", "Casualty", and all the others. I don't intend on swapping my house, my partner, my belongings or my life, so you can get rid of all of the DIY make-over and life-reappraisal shows, that clog up the schedules. I detest reality TV, so that can all be destroyed as well. As for the news, there's lots of other places to get it, and for next to nothing in money terms, e.g. Sky News, The Times newspaper/website, et al. (I admit that News 24 is excellent, but that alone, does not make the BBC value-for-money!) I don't have kids, so out goes the Digital childrens channels that the BBC keep plugging. I don't have a garden, so those kinds of shows can also be ejected. Ditto, with history shows, and most documentaries.

The only shows I watch, tend to be American dramas, or movies. Neither of which the BBC caters for much. "Little Britain" was good, but came out on DVD, and they've ruined the second season, by the excessive use of canned-laughter, not to mention censoring the show, for Mr and Mrs Public, for when it airs on BBC1! What's the point of showing it on BBC1, then?!

Ultimately, the kind of shows I DO watch, aren't shown on the BBC! They don't appear to air any US dramas any more, nor cult TV shows, or sci-fi. And what they do, they've cut to pieces, or chucked all over the schedules, to make way for sports.

So, having said all of that, it is my opinion, that the Licence Fee is a con, and the fact that Tessa Jowell keeps increasing it year-after-year, and keeps telling me that it's so that the BBC can provide good quality shows, is just a load of complete bull! :mad:

If she loves the BBC so much, why can't she fund it herself, or find some other way around it.

Lastly, what if the Government decided that the Licence Fee from 2006, was to only cover ITV?! That is, if the BBC kept the same programming it gives us now, but with adverts, and ITV was advert-free, but also kept showing the same old crappola that it airs now?! Would you still want to be legally forced to pay the licence fee? I know I wouldn't!

The fact remains, that you have to pay the Licence Fee, if you own a TV, ro equipment that can receive/record TV signals of any kind. If some of the Licence Fee was used to help ban pirated DVD's and videos; or help reduce the price of DVD's and home cinema equipment in general, then maybe I wouldn't be so angry at it. But it doesn't cover that, and so I remain :mad: !

Pooch

29. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    Doctor Who is back next year :)

30. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,354
    Some of you point’s Pooch and other who have ignored my quote and harping on about paying for something you do not use.

The licence fee not only goes into paying for the programs it goes in to the up keep of transmitters and radio, local radio etc.

You pay twice for the subscription channels once with you sub and once again with the increase in goods which I also have to pay for, also those with no TV. But at least people can chose not to watch TV at all but giving up food and clothing insurance an other case.

The fee going up well doesn’t Sky put its sub up? When I subscribed it seemed far above inflation.