1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV over IP

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by 00fjackson, Apr 25, 2005.

1. 00fjackson

00fjackson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I know that this is not strictly regarding HD but it is about the future of television. When I was reading an article on television delivered over the Internet (TVoIP) I wondered if it is or ever will be in reality an economically viable/ technologically possible delivery of television.

Considering many households have up to four TVs running at once in an evening, plus a PC, then think about the necessary connection speed! For MPEG4 HD - 4*10Mbps plus PC connection- maybe 50Mbps! Now this might well be possible in a few years but what about the servers. Say there are 8 million TVs receiving an evening soap opera within a relatively small time frame, then a server (or a network of servers) must stream millions of broadcasts at once. This would account for almost all Internet traffic! To me this seems unlikely to ever be possible, and even if it was, how big would the advantage be compared to widespread use of DVRs.

I would like to know your views on this. :thumbsup:

2. thegeby

thegeby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    That is true if you expect each TV to be an individual connection. It is however more likely that most channels will be streamed quite far downstream and that only "the last mile" will be decided by your choice of programming. This would be more like 60*8Mb/s=480Mb/s in the backbone, which is more manageable. In addition you would have VoD on an individual basis, adding rather more to the necessary capacity.

The number of TVs concerned only matter in two places, the number of simultaneous VoD connections and the number of TVs in a household trying to access simultaneously. Both of those can be seen as legitimate revenue raisers, in the first case supporting expansion of the backbone, in the second upgrading the last mile.

3. 00fjackson

00fjackson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So do you think it will ever catch on and replace FTA broadcasts? To me it seems like a massive upgrade and installation job for an only slightly more convenient service. Will it be worth the time of the broadcasters to push for such a radical change and if they do will people want it?

4. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Video Networks Ltd (VDL) is offering just this over an ADSL line within London.

I thought they had started live streaming of the off air channels as well, but a quick look at thier website doesnt give anything away.

www.homechoice.co.uk

Just a shame the don't make it out to the home counties, I would take it in a flash.

5. Trumper1

Trumper1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    50Mbps should not be that far away. In Japan you can now get 50Mbps on ADSL or 100Mbps+ on full fibre to the home for about $50 a month. Once a fibre backbone is in place (not sure how far BT are yet with this) very high ADSL speeds are possible. BT I think were talking about 8Mbps by year end.

6. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    UK Online are offering 8Mbs ADSL to their local loop unbundled exchanges for £29.99/month (including a free ADSL Router with 11g wireless) if you sign up before May 3rd.

I got mine last Monday - the improvements over my previous Demon 512k connection are very noticable for an extra £5/month.

It is capped - but at 500Gb/month I'm unlikely to hit that!

(They also offer 2Mbs for £19.99)

With this kind of broadband real-time SDTV downloads become possible - or faster than real-time if you are using MPEG4 and quite high levels of compression.

7. Whitey1977

Whitey1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
  8. RekalinSimms

RekalinSimms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems like everything is headed in the IP direction, whether it be television or phones. It all seems to be moving that way. Phones seem to be getting there a little quicker than tv though.

9. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Yep - Voice over IP is so easy to implement these days and if you make loads of calls internationally it can be a significant cost saver. Also if you want to have a number located in an area of the UK different to where you live - so people can call you at a local call rate - then VoIP allows this easily.

I have a VoIP number which is an 0207 number even though I don't live in London. Makes it cheap for friends in London to call me even if they aren't VoIP enabled.

10. pemberto

pemberto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    BT are currently testing TVoIP as part of BT Media. Best bet is that you will not see any of this until BT have finished the 21stCentury network rollout.

pemberto (ex-BT)