Question TV over Ethernet?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Geoggy, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Geoggy

Geoggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +273
    Hi,

I’ve just moved into a new flat. I rocked up with my LG C7 expecting an aerial socket (because the spec said media plate to all rooms) and alas there isn’t one.

The developers have an Ethernet socket in each room and are telling me all my TV will be delivered over that.

I’m lost. There is no satellite dish on the flats, so what are my options?

Am I tied into getting BT TV? Is that delivered solely over Ethernet? I’ve only ever had aerials or Sky.

Thanks

2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,108

BT TV relies on a a terrestrial aerial. Are there satellite F type outlets in any of the rooms ? The dish might not be obvious. BBC iplayer has a live TV option but it's no substitute for a Freeview signal from an aerial. Frankly the developers are talking rubbish. Where is the cabling to connect a broadband router to the internet ?

3. Geoggy

Geoggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +273
    There are no satellite F type outlets. It is literally a chrome Ethernet socket.

I’ve spoken to the site manager and there is no communal dish he just said “you’ll get everything through fibre optic when they connect it on Friday.”

I thought he was talking crap and now I know he is!

Thank you

4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,108
    Guessing the Fibre will be the internet connection to the building, you will still need to connect a broadband router and connect its, network switch to the installed network sockets. Sky has announced an IP delivered Sky-Q system but it won't be free like Freesat or Freeview. I reckon they are breaking the law in not providing any way of accessing the UK FTA PSB channels. I would fill out a OFCom complaint form. Netflix is pretty good value but again it's not free. Presumably all the outlets are wired to a common point so you can fit a router.

You will of course be able to use the main catch up channels (your TV probably already has these - BBC Iplayer ITV-HUB All-4 and 5 on demand) But no way to use a twin tuner Freesat. FVP or Freeview + pvr.

complaint to ofcom - Google Search

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  5. Abacus

Abacus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I would hang on until everything is connected, as it may be something similar to Virgin which gives you both TV & Internet, although if they don’t provide you with a free box that supplies the free terrestrial channels without cost, then complain. (New developments are encouraged to supply fttp from the off)

Bill