TV Out

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by DazJWood, Mar 26, 2003.

1. DazJWood

DazJWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Geforce 2 400MX graphics card.

I have tried the TV out on this card and it is ok but not suitable for use for anything text based. ie surfing the internet.

I realise that a fundamental difference between monitors and tvs are that pixels on a monitor are a different shape to tvs, hence the poor definition on a tv display. A tv will never beat a monitor.

Having said that there must be graphics cards out there that are a better choice for a computer connected directly to a tv. i want to be able to use my pc, like a pc, on my tv. In other words I want to be able to surf the net, to mess around with files, etc... and play games.

Does anyone know what the best card is to do this with or are all of the cards available going to lack the clarity to be able to achieve this.

I appreciate your comments,

Daz

PS. No I can't afford an LCD or plasma TV :)

2. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I just got a 9500 Pro. Tv out is a definite imrovement over my GF3, I still wouldn't want to use it for text based stuff though.

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You said it ;)

Not the cards fault, it's your TV :p

Having said that, a Radeon based card should give the best results possible & use some software called TV Tool to maximise the output to your TV.

You'll never be able to use your TV satisfactorily though - 'tis a fact of life :smashin:

4. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're willing to take the risk (I wouldn't) you could change your GeForce for a Radeon and try this : http://www.jwexqm.vispa.com/vga_rgbscart.html......!!

or you could go a safer route with a scan converter....

or you could swap your TV set for a very large CRT monitor with a sufficiently wide horizontal scan frequency range (from ~15.75KHz) to take domestic RGB signals (if you need them) as well as high res VGA............