TV Out

jUsT2eXy

Standard Member
Hey guys. Ordered my Samsung Galaxy S today. It had TV OUT and plays back 1080p HD video so I can use this as my external HDD for carrying films etc...

what I wanted to know is... Can I somehow connect the TV OUT (3.5MM Jack) to a HDMI socket at the back of my TV?

This will work Nokia CA-75U TV Out Cable

but I want that to connect to my HD tv via the HDMI socket.... is there some sort of converter to put the cables into?

thanks

StevieBuck

If it is possible to get HD video out from this device, it would probably come from the proprietary connection - not the 3.5mm output.

As far as I know, 3.5mm connections will only provide a 'composite' video output. Composite video is low quality, and standard definition only. I do not see that you will get 1080p (or any other HD resolution) video from this connection.

The problem with connecting the 3.5mm jack to the HDMI on the TV is that the signals they work with are incompatible - HDMI is digital, and the 3.5mm connection signals will be analogue. This means you need more than just an adaptor cable - you'd need an active signal convertor as well. Considering that your TV should have a dedicated input for the composite video (a single yellow phono connector) it would be fairly pointless spending money on any of this.

ProfessorYaffle

Novice Member
Think the TV Out is S-Video but in any case not HD. Does your TV have DLNA support? Or a PS3/Blu-Ray player/your computer (I believe Windows 7 supports it) - that'll be a way of doing it...

Professor Yaffle

prking

I was under the impression that the Galaxy S can display 720p on its screen. As far as I know, the 3.5mm is audio out only.
I would guess DLNA is the only way to go.

ProfessorYaffle

Novice Member
It looks like the TV Out is composite PAL/NTSC, so not great quality. There are phones with HDMI outputs (the Nokia N8, Acer Stream and Motorola Droid X are examples).

Professor Yaffle

StevieBuck

According to the specifications on the Samsung website, it can play back HD video files and record its own video at 720p. The screen resolution however is given as 480x800, so any clips over this resolution (i.e anything HD) you play back using its own screen will be downscaled.

On most devices, the 3.5mm jack is used for outputting audio only. There are a couple of different 3.5mm jack types though, and one of them can output a basic video signal, as well as stereo audio. It could have a 3.5mm connector like that - or the OP has picked up some wrong information somewhere.

ProfessorYaffle

Novice Member
According to the specifications on the Samsung website, it can play back HD video files and record its own video at 720p. The screen resolution however is given as 480x800, so any clips over this resolution (i.e anything HD) you play back using its own screen will be downscaled.

On most devices, the 3.5mm jack is used for outputting audio only. There are a couple of different 3.5mm jack types though, and one of them can output a basic video signal, as well as stereo audio. It could have a 3.5mm connector like that - or the OP has picked up some wrong information somewhere.
I think Samsung call it an A/V connector, which I'm guessing is capable of video output albeit at SD composite format. It's a shame that a device with a relatively decent video performance and resolution doesn't have HDMI out.

Professor Yaffle

ProfessorYaffle

Novice Member
Here's a video...

This seems to confirm the TV Out is there but is much like the Nokia implementation e.g. composite video.

Hopefully it's there in the UK version (some reviews/specifications don't mention it).

Professor Yaffle

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom