1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV out... whats your PQ like?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Chipster, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have just hooked up my HCPC to my old trusty Toshiba 33" 4:3 TV via S-Video TV out from a Creative Radeon 9600. The PC is fixed in a dedicated room so this nessitates a 10mtr (quality cable) run. The problem is, the picture quality is awfull. Blurry and fuzzy is the best way to discribe it. Toca 2 racing driver is great fun on my projector, but it would be usefull to transfer games like CSI to the TV in the lounge.

I'm not expecting pixel perfect performance, but should the text at least be easily readable?

PS The TV picture is otherwise perfect.

2. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Mines superb.. I am using the ATI DVI-> component dongle and then sending a progscan signal to the TV..

Running 720x480p @ 60 has slight overscan all round the screen but perfect for movies/hidef and divx.

If you want to play PC games then s-video may be your only bet to get the resolutions needed for them !

Matt

3. cowtipper

cowtipper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    do you have any problems playing 50hz pal content with your ati card and where did you get the dongle from

4. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Matt but I am limited to s-video on my TV

Any other comments welcome.

5. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I can't qualify which piece of tech makes the most difference, Chipster, but TV-out results do seem to have a touch of 'the luck of the draw'.

Until a recent upgrade, my brother was using a Radeon 9500 Pro - which, he would tell anyone, gave a terribly soft picture. It was still okay for movies, I suppose - though I never saw a game running via TV-out.

On the other side of things, I'm using a 'lowly' Radeon 9000 Pro. Each time that my brother sees this on the TV, there's an exclamation of some kind :laugh: Usually, that's before I've switched to the vastly sharper PAL output, too. Switch to PAL and he goes very, very quiet... :D

The differences between our systems are that I use comparatively cheap cables (okay, very cheap cables! :smashin: ), whereas he uses the nice lookin' stuff from the local 'hi-fi'/AV emporium; next up, we have TVs of a rather different price bracket (though mine is very much older). I am using a 29"/DPL Toshiba 4:3 set, with his television being a 28" Bush widescreen box. I've just realised that he may have been using the television's resizing too, which could have added to the soft image. In any case, s-video appears to be a strength of my TV (common with Toshiba, it seems), so I suppose there was a fair chance that it was going to give better results.

In terms of what you can do, have you tried running through the driver settings? I have found that experimenting with the brightness, contrast etc., moving the 'sharpness' setting to maximum and switching to PAL output gives clear results when compared to default settings and NTSC output. Oh, the resolution used can make a fair difference, too. Though it is of course possible to run at 1024x768, the image quality doesn't increase. 800x600 seems to be a happy medium.

Finally, I think there's just the question of driver revisions. As I haven't switched back, I can't conclusively say that the end result is better or worse with one revision or another; but I have noticed that, for example, the 'sharpness' setting had a wider and noticeable range between soft and sharp with drivers from a year or so ago than with more recent revisions. That's just my experience, but... well, you never know!

Phew! I hope there's something there for you. Good luck :)

6. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Andy572 for the detailed reply.

Yes I have tried playing with all the settings, and still the picture is blurred (desktop and game). I would imagine your 29" toshiba and my 33"DPL are very simialr in spec and age, yet it appears your tv-out is more than satisfactory. I know my s-video connection is fine as I get a great picture from my camcorder through it. (with same cable)

I have the latest cat drivers (as of 2 weeks ago) I'm not on that PC so cant state the revision.

It works perfectly with DVI out, but I really need TV out too

I'm thinking now that the card may be faulty :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Chipster.

7. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    For anyone thats interested, the card was at fault.
    Took the opportunity to upgrade from the 9600se to the sapphire 9600xt, bit worried about fan noise but it is very quiet... I could hardly hear it.

No real noticeable difference on DVD playback, but games performance is better. And better still, the TV-out works a treat.

cheers,

Chipster.