1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tv-out question

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by jasi, Jan 6, 2005.

1. jasi

jasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi, I have quite a crappy graphics card - radeon 9200 with a composite out - connected to my TV. I was wondering if anyone could tell me of a way to get the entire desktop to show on the TV. At the moment I only get part of the desktop on TV, which moves around when the mouse cursor moves to its edges. With DVDs it will then only show the part of the picture where the mouse curser is located. I tried changing the desktop resolution but it didn't seem to help. A media player that will display the entire picture on the TV would also be great.

Thanks very much in advance for any help with this! :)

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The problem changing the desktop resolution is that Windows insists it knows how big the display is and will scroll the desktop if it's bigger.

Powerstrip should work for you I think with a 9200, you can download a trial copy from here.

3. jasi

jasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the reply. Do you also know if powerstrip would enable me to have a custom resolution for the tv-out while keeping the normal resolution for the vga monitor?

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Not as far as I know, though I've rarely dabbled with dual monitor except in clone mode.

Hopefully someone will point out if I'm wrong. :)

BTW, I AM assuming that custom resolutions apply to the S-Video output as well as VGA and DVI, I've never tried it, but since you can try PStrip for free for a period you can see if it does or not.

5. jasi

jasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for that. I found I could only get the tv-out to show the whole desktop when using it as an extended desktop. I'm afraid I have another issue I haven't been able to resolve though and I can't find any info on it. I've adjusted the TV settings in the ATI properties so the picture is as large as it will go, but it still doesn't fill the entire screen. There is a rather annoying 1 or 2 inch border all the way round - top, bottom and sides. It would be great if someone has a solution to this, some application maybe. Anyway, thanks for any replies!