1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV out problem on ATI AIW 8500DV

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by MarkHudds, Jan 29, 2003.

1. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Can anyone help with this problem:- ???? :confused:

I've tried connecting my ATI AIW 8500DV gfx card to a Sony KV32FX65 via svideo however I'm getting a problem where the entire desktop width is not being displayed at once. The vertical size is fine however.

If I move my mouse around, the display on the TV shifts left and right to show the area where the mouse is moving ...

I've tried reducing the horizontal size of the TV output in the ATI display software but that just reduces what is displayed rather than adding any of the extra width. Additionally TV out resolution is set to a low 800x600 (default I think).

Please help!

2. dnrc

dnrc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Set your monitor and tv out resolution to be the same, the card will (should) do 1024x768 on both the tv and monitor.

3. Beastie Boy

Beastie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think that the overscan option will have any effect at 1024x768. I would be interested to know if it does though.

Cheers, Beastie.

4. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'll try the same resolution on both monitor and tv.

I guess a desktop of 1366x768 and a TV out out setting of 800x600 are not compatible then? Is it the 1366x768 that is screwing up the TV display?

Thanks.

5. Beastie Boy

Beastie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Almost certainly. A horizontal resolution greater than 1024, or a vertical resolution greater than 768 will cause the TV to pan in order to display the desktop.

On a slightly different note, what is the image quality like at 800x600 compared to 640x480 or 1024x768? I've heard reports that the image can look 'faded' or washed out at 800x600 as though there is a film across it.

EDIT: Does your display completely fill the viewable area of the TV? I have an AIW Radeon and I have a 1" black bar at the bottom of the screen, even with 'Overscan' enabled.

Cheers, Beastie.

6. p306

p306

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The best resolution to use is either 768 x 576 or 720 x 576.