1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tv out on geforce 4

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by meva, Aug 10, 2002.

1. meva

meva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi
    I've just bought a new pc. I have an Asus v8440 deluxe geforce 4 ti4400 graphics card. Everything is lovely through the monitor but I wish to use the tv out as well. The problem is I can't :confused: The s-video is connected to my tv via the supplied dongle, when I go into nview on the settings box it doesn't recognize any other displays other than the monitor?? I've tried the detect displays key. Can anyone help or have I got a duff graphics card?? Thanks.

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,024
    I have a GeFoce 3 card and I was told that the S-VHS lead has to be connect to a 100Hz TV to work!!!!!!!

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    100hz?! - that's bullcrap! Whoever told you that, should be taken out back to be shot!

Meva, the best advice i can give is to update your drivers. Because the ones you get with your graphics card are almost certainly old (and moldy):) . Just go to www.nvidia.com and download the latest reference drivers.

If that doesn't work, try right clicking your desktop, clicking the "Settings" tab, then clicking the "Advanced" button. In the new window clicking the "Device Selection" tab and going from there.

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Best place for nVidia drivers is to be found here.

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,024
    Help desk at Hercules.

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    My son's tnt2 ultra has the same s-video out, same driver too of course, it all works fine with a s-video to scart lead, and our TV is the one Noah watched while it was raining... You have to specify the vid format, Pal for here, and you only get colour if you are running 32bit colour. It won't run the TV and the monitor of course. We've given it up as too much hassle.

7. meva

meva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the input but i think my card is buggered:( .Looks like I may need the onsite warranty cover after a week.

8. triumphtiger

triumphtiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Geforce 3 Ti500 card with tv-out, and I have to have the s-video cable connected when I boot my machine.

It doesn't work if I connect the cable after the pc has booted.

Might be your problem.....

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Good point.... forgot to mention that.

10. feet14

feet14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are there any cards that do work properly with S-vid out, and preferably run both monitor and TV simultaneousley?

11. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a gforce 2 mx . When i got it said no device detected and i could not get it to output tv through the second out with nview or my crt projector .

I downloaded the latest detonator drivers and an new option apeared in the nview menu ( force detection of monitor on second conector) After i ticked this all worked fine . Now i can output to my mon and projector or mon and tv or tv and projector .

If you hav'nt updated with the latest nvidea drivers then do it and all your problems could go away if they have implemented the same function with other nview cards

12. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,089
    I have got the Gainward Geforce 4 Ti 4600 VIVO golden sample card and that will run the TV and the monitor at the same time.

Very useful in my case as the TV is nowhere near my PC.

Greg

13. slenderdeer

slenderdeer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Greg what leads did u use m8. I got a Gainward Golden Sample ti4200 128MB jobby coming soon. I want to watch divx via my tv.

14. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,089
    Hi

My card came with a special 'VIVO' cable which connects to a port on the graphics card. It has composite and S-Video connections on it. All I use is a 10 mtr S-video cable which connects to the s-video socket on the TV and to the TV-out S-video connection on the special VIVo cable. Plus for audio I use cable with two phonos connected to the TV and one 3.5mm jack connected to the sound card.

It works great this way. I was amazed at the quality of the DVD playback on my TV from the PCs DVD player. The desktop quality isn't great but things like pictures, movies, games are fine.

Also the Gainward manual states the maximum length of cable should be 2 mtrs. That is complete crap. I use a 10 mtr cable and have no problems at all.

Let me know how you got on. I had loads of problems getting my card set up correctly to start with but it all works great now. If you are stuck I might be able to help you out.

Cheers
    Greg

15. slenderdeer

slenderdeer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Greg. I ordered today a scart adaptor. My TV has s-video but woudl prefer scart as its out of the way where as my svideo on TV is at the front.

As far as I am aware th Gainward I got has the cable u said. As its along distance from my TV to computer about 5 metres then I am going to get a mate make on one for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope all your Gainwards don't go bang!!!

They've been getting a reputation lately for being unreliable.

I've had to RMA one already. I requested a different card (read numerous daily posts of failures), but they've sent me the same again. Idiots.

I see that the picture in the previous post is one of the earlier "unmodified" cards. The newer, supposedly more reliable cards, have a different GPU cooler mounting, & are fitted with ramsinks.

So beware if your's hasn't got ramsinks on the memory (which is crap BTW).

It's a pity, because these cards do perform very well, when they're working :eek:

Only had the new one fitted a few days, & it runs extremely hot (more so than the previous one, which was scorching).

Check out how hot yours is, both the memory & bach of the GPU. Excessive heat will kill any card prematurely.

17. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, the newer ones aren't any better :mad:

Returning it tomorrow for a refund.

Here's some pics I took for the retailer. They might look familiar to other Gainward owners :D [​IMG]

18. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it only the newer gforce4 cards . I have had a Gainward gforce 2 mx gold sample for rather some time and it works like a charm .

I was thinking of upgrading to a 4 from them but if they are having a lot of problems i think i shall look at another manufacturer

19. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The main offenders seem to be the Ti 4200s, either 64 or 128mb.

But some Ti 4600s have also proven unreliable.

The memory fitted has a speed rating of 666mHz (DDR), but is very, very bad.

Best I got from the first one was 540mHz, newer one, 550mHz (with ramsinks fitted).

But they're unstable even at stock speeds.

I'd definately not recommend a Gainward GF4, get a Leadtech or MSI. Asus etc... All pretty good performers, but reliable.