TV options

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by brailer, Oct 7, 2018.

1. brailer

brailer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi there I'm looking for a new TV. I currently have a Panasonic plasma tx-50x10b in my living room.

I have two options first.

1) move this TV to the bedroom where it'll be viewed at around 8ft away ( currently viewed at 14ft with no issue downstairs) and replace with new TV.

2) leave Panasonic where it is and buy new TV for bedroom.

If I replace the living room TV I would want to go bigger (65"?)

If I buy new TV for bedroom I'd prefer at least 50" but flexible for better features etc.

Id like to have a 4k TV either way for some future proofing. Id only use the 4k for the occasional PS4 pro gaming session.

Budget: £600-£800 as not really looking for top of the range features.

Thanks in advance

Jonathan

2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,184
    Since the option is 50" versus 65" with a PS4 pro wanting good HDR and your budget I would look at the 49" Sony XF9005 for the bedroom which hopefully gets closer to the £800 mark come black friday.

If you go for a 65" TV for the living room at that price you will not have good HDR and will be scraping the barrel a bit with overall quality. That's not to say having a large TV is a bad thing though. Only that its HDR performance in particular will be very poor which is arguably a lot more important than UHD, especially when you view too far to notice a difference between fhd and uhd.

3. brailer

brailer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Are there any suitable 65" TVs for my needs? Will hd look good on a 4k TV? I'll only use the 4k for occasional gaming.

4. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,184
    Not right now but there will be a Hisense model on sale for £600 come black friday that would probably be as low as you'd want to go for a 65" with as little money as possible. The £800 mark doesn't really net you anything better currently either but maybe also by then the Hisense U7A (currently £1000) will be reduced.

These TVs may as well not have HDR though which doesn't make them great choices for a PS4 pro. Yes they are larger UHD models that offer more detail from a good quality source but it is HDR that brings more improvements to picture quality than UHD.

At 14ft from a 65" UHD model HD should still look very good.

5. Analysis

Analysis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +310
    Sorry to say this but you can't with any tech these days.

6. brailer

brailer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  7. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,184
  8. brailer

brailer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sony kd49xf9005bu, is this TV any good please

9. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +955
    Yes. Best sub 55” tv on the market.

10. brailer

brailer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    What makes it so good? It's going to be £800 come Monday in Costco.

11. brailer

brailer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Panasonic TX-65FX600B on sale for £900 also

12. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +955
    Va panel, full array local dimming. Gets bright enough for hdr.

Best avoided unless you need wide viewing angles. Won’t be great with hdr.

13. brailer

brailer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    So I went to look at TVs in Curry's to actually see them working.

Now besides the obvious oled TV being the best looking the Samsung's and maybe the Sony's that were recommended seem to be the best. Not sure if the Sony's are worth the extra money, however I didn't test the HDR on them.

Now as far a viewing angles go I was a bit confused.

I could watch every TV there at an extreme angle. Some were brighter than others but none of them unwatchable.

Going to pop in to richer sounds for a better rest on some of them soon

14. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,184
    Its going to be pretty difficult do draw conclusions in the store. I would not base my purchase on viewing the TV in a shop unless you're able to find somewhere to give you a demo of one in a demo room.

TVs with VA panels have much narrower viewing angles as can be demonstrated here: IPS vs VA: Comparing LCD types found in TVs

15. brailer

brailer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Probably going to get a 55" xf9005. Haven't looked at one up and running properly yet. I'd really like a 65 " though. Now considering spending upto £1500.

16. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,184
    Buy online from a reputable source and if you aren't happy with the TV you will be able to return under distance selling regulations set by the EU within 7 days. Don't judge what you see in a shop, its too misleading. If you don't need good HDR you can also look at the Samsung NU8000 or even the Hisense U7A which will be cheaper at 65".

17. brailer

brailer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Went to richer sounds and saw all the models in question. Was underwelmed by the Sony to be honest. Samsung picture just didn't looked to artificial. The panasonic led looked about the best making me even more confused. As for looking at the TVs in a shop I understand what your saying but would like to think I'd be able to narrow it down at least

18. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,184
    In my personal experience if a certain TVs picture looks artificial its just because its setup wrongly. With the right settings you can make any of the TVs we have mentioned look natural. In the shop they were likely in the wrong picture mode, possibly even in shop mode designed to make one look flashier than the next. Not ideal if you are looking for the best pure, subtle picture quality.

I retain my view previously, I think you will be overspending on the Sony XF90 if you do not intend to utilize much HDR. The Samsung NU8000 would be a compromise, with the Hisense U7A good value for someone not intending to use HDR much at all.

You could even go cheaper and look at the recently reviewed A6200 Hisense or wait for Hisense' black friday deals.

With non-HDR material you aren't going to get much of an improvement using a TV like the Sony XF9005 compared to a very cheap TV to make it justified spending so much extra money. For most people now TVs like the Hisense A6200 are more than enough, once you go beyond that you are paying more for features that mean little to most people. You aren't paying more for better overall picture quality without hitting large diminishing returns like you would have with TVs a few years ago.

19. brailer

brailer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you for all of your help in this.

20. faidtoblack

faidtoblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Just in case you are considering the 55nu800 I have noticed that it is £779 in co-op electrical online. RS should price beat this by £10 so you could get it for £769 from them which seems like a pretty good deal. FWIW I purchased a 49xf9005 2 days ago and can vouch for the quality of that set.

21. brailer

brailer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    What made u go for this and not the Samsung nu8000

22. faidtoblack

faidtoblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    For me, I only really wanted to go to 49"/50" so size was a consideration. The 49"nu8000 is not the same as the 55" but with the Sony it pretty much is the same as its larger version. I was also impressed with the FALD and HDR on the Sony when compared to the Samsung although I do much prefer the Smart TV interface on the Samsung. I must admit that at one point I was tempted to up my budget and go for a 55" LG OLED, however, it was clear to me from the research that there is no real "perfect" solution whether I was spending £400 or £1500 and I knew that there would be a compromise somewhere along the line. Ultimately, I went for the set I did as I feel I am getting decent value for money even this close to BF. I was able to sell the bundled Blu-ray player for £250 which meant the set effectively only cost me £735 (I got the TV and player from RS for £985).

23. brailer

brailer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi there. So I never settled on a TV but now looking again. Its going to be for the living room, viewing distance is 14ft away. I will be looking straight on but also at an angle ( sorry I don't know what angle this will be). I want to get either a 65" or 75" screen size. Mainly will be used for Sky HD and netflix, also in hd. I do watch lots of football and rugby and want no issues with the picture quality when viewing. Looking at a max of £1500 but if I can't spend less, happy days. I am thinking then of upgrading to Sky Q for the 4k sport and movies.

Thanks

24. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,184
    Unless you can stretch to over £1500 for the LG B8 (very recommended that you do btw) then I would go for the LG SK8500 or Panasonic FX750 LCDs at 65". They should be around £1300.

The SK9500 is slightly better than the SK8500 and is currently selling for £1400 but I'm not sure its worth spending as much as that when its not long after that the LG B8 is similar in price and the B8 is a lot better.

This is assuming you need good viewing angles, if your viewing angles aren't too wide or you do not mind the TV looking worse to the side than head on then recommendations would change for LCD TVs as LCD TVs that have the best picture quality from the front are not those that have good picture quality at an angle.

25. brailer

brailer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I assumed that the lg b8 wouldn't be suitable as I watch a lot of SSN which has static pictures on screen all day. I would like oled bit am nervous aboutatheir issues. I'm surprised that the nu8000 or the xf9005 hasn't been mentioned.

26. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,184
    Its because you mentioned you need viewing angles and they use VA type panels.

See: Which panel type should I choose for my TV?

If you view within a 30 degree angle or a 60 degree cone you'll be fine with the NU8000 or XF9005, they are both recommended for the best picture quality from the front.

27. brailer

brailer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    How do I measure my viewing angles?.

28. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,184
    You can use a protractor facing away from the TV.

or use the clock method to estimate, imagining the TV is the centre of the clock, 12 o clock is directly in front of the TV (0 degrees). 3 o clock would be 90 degrees.

If you are between 0-30 either side you'll be fine with a VA type panel but if your seating is any more, you'll want an IPS type.
    [​IMG]