Tv onics dtr-z500 problem

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by CLIVEYBOY, Aug 3, 2012.

Tags:
  1. CLIVEYBOY

CLIVEYBOY
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My TV ONICS DTR-Z500 has started playing up after 2 and half years.Will only get as far as green screen saying turning on please wait,then clicks off and back on to same screen continuously.Remote control will not turn it off or do anything else.Can't get to the menu.When i press remote to turn off, the lights on remote flash but doesn't operate machine.Have to pull out plug to turn off then when plugging in, the green light is on all the time.Wondered if anyone thinks it could be the powerpack.Try your best boys.
    Cliveboy.

2. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +570
    Well, if you can't get the box to do anything, then the only thing to try is replacing the power brick. If you have a meter you could check its output first though. If it's delivering its rated output then it sounds like the receiver is on the fritz. Good luck getting it repaired -- all of us TVonics owners are in the same boat now. Unless you can get to some sort of menu to try say a factory reset I think you're hosed.

Clem

3. bluesguy

bluesguy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like either the power supply is not delivering enough amps or the HDD is drawing too much amps.... Does anyone know if this box would boot up with the HDD disconnected as a test?

4. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +570
    That's a thought. Check the PSU first, if that's good then pop the lid and see if the disk drive can be disconnected. I reckon that if the drive is the problem, the receiver will get a lot further into its boot sequence and report drive problems in that case.

Clem

5. Wendy05

Wendy05
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Went online to try and talk with someone at TVonics today, but discovered they have got the Receiver running things. Over the past 4 days my very old DVR-FP150 has been telling me the hard drive is unformatted, so, even at the thought of losing all my 53 hours of recordings, I told it to format the disc. I waited and then up on the screen it said 'initialisation failed, playback & recording has been disabled'. On one occasion it all started working again, but alas, as soon as the TV was switched off the TVonics died again. I read several reviews on this forum about this being a regular problem with the TVonics units, but, before binning it, to buy a new 12 volt power adapter. I went through a bag of spare cables, found a 12 volt one and ..... all is working again, and ..... I haven't lost a minute of my 53 hours of recordings. Thank you so much to all who posted this valuable piece of advice - my 8 year old TVonics and I are now happily reunited!!!