Tv on wall. Side hifi cabinet with decent cooling... Any ideas?

Discussion in 'AV Stands, Cabinets, Seating & Furniture' started by ranjb, Feb 19, 2014.

1. ranjb

ranjb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

Will be moving into a new house shortly and are currently stripping down the house and decorating.

I have decided that the TV which hasnt been purchased yet will be hung on the chimney breast wall on a bracket.

My plan is to have the cables hidden and on the side of the tv is recessed so my plan was to use a hifi cabinet as opposed as a normal tv cabinet to store sky, ps3 apple tv etc.

I am thinking that any bog standard hifi wont work due to ventilation issues. When the ps3 and sky box are on they get very hot esp the ps3 so am slightly concerned what to use here.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also in the chimney wall i am trying to understand how i will be able to feed the cables through, my planw as to drill a hole near the tv which will be convered once the tv is hung and the other hole towards the bottom and somehow put some sort of pipe or large conduit so i could easily feed cables in and they wont get stuck. Is the best way to do this? Are there things we can buy which will allow cabling to be filtered through. I plan to put a twin socket whilst the renovation is done on the chimney wall and this will be hidden once tv is on.

Any ideas on this would be most appreciated. I am just trying to think about this now so i can plan this out properly and make sure i tell the electrician and builders exactly what i want.

Also in case this matters i also plan to hang a sonos playbar on the same wall as where the tv will go, the wall is solid and not made of plasterboard.

Thanks

2. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,483
    Just think hard about why you even need them in a cab inroom rather than hidden away and controlled with a remote extender.

3. ranjb

ranjb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There option wouldnt work. It means potentially i would need toe extend the cables and also the ps3 would burn a quick death, within 30 minutes without ventilation it will suffer problems.

4. Sessen Ryu

Sessen Ryu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    I use an Optimum stand, - i've got a fake chimley type of design and my rack is next door to that.. I feed the wires through a little hole on the left hand side of the fake chimley breast.

I have a twin socket behind the fake wall, although everything is plugged in via an four plug extension because that has surge protection which gives me a little more peace of mind.

Personally I quite like having my kit on display, and of course it's better for cooling purposes. I nearly went for a black cabinet with tinted glass, so it would be all hidden away, I am sure they have cooling features built in (vented at the back etc) - and glass which IR goes through.

Sorry this is the best pic of my stand

[​IMG]

5. ranjb

ranjb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That is a nice design! thanks for the picture.