TV on chimney breast

D

Deleted member 901590

We are considering in the coming years revamping our lounge. Currently TV is in front of the window directly opposite a central MLP on the opposite wall, sofa against that wall. MLP approx 4.5m away from the screen.
In the revamp, we are considering not covering lots of the light entering the room with a 65" TV anymore and putting it on the chimney breast. It would sit (to bottom of screen) 1.65m up from the floor.

I have never, in my 45 years on this planet, wall mounted a TV. My TV has always been at "watching height" and roughly aligning with L,C,R,SL,SR. What do people do when the TV is this high? The MLP will be 4.5m away from the screen. Do I keep the speakers at the same height (except the centre that will be directly under the screen) or do I need to have the L and R at the same height as the centre? Then, what would I do with surrounds? And heights, which are currently 4 upfiring on top of fronts and surrounds?

Please don't spend a lot of time on this, what would be really good is to see some people's solutions and to understand the AV principles behind the answer. I.e. do you need the sound at the screen height or does you brain work better with the sound lower down?

Or is there something somewhere that already says this on the forum somewhere, if so, apologies @gibbsy

I've got one of these:

It's magic.
More here:

Even the missus was saying the other day that it's great.

Thank you @maddy that's pretty cool and an option... but pretty sure we want to be able to have the fire on too unfortunately.
Our plan would be to have a sofa where we kind of sat back with our heads supported by the cushion (like proper coach potatoes) so that we don't have neck strain issues. But the question remains what is best to do with the sound, current main speakers for example are roughly 1.2m tall.

I've got one of these:

It's magic.
More here:

Even the missus was saying the other day that it's great.

That's a brilliant device, and something I might have seriously considered to wall mount my TV. But what they aren't showing are all the cables connected to other devices. Because most of us have things like games consoles and set top boxes (with power cables). Where do you put all this stuff with the TV mounted like that? When you factor this in, the set up starts to become a little less neat.

In the end we got a TV unit with cupboards either end and middle shelves. This neatly conceals all the power cables/extension block. Looks great.

I'd stick with the TV in it's current position (or opposite end of the room?) rather than place it directly above a fireplace at over 2m high! IMHO, that is far too high for watching TV.

When I see people's setups like that, I think it looks ridiculous. The centre of a TV screen should be roughly at seated eye level for comfort.

Hmmm that's the last time I'll trust someone else to measure something. The bottom of the tv will be 1.2m hence the centre speaker at 1.05m.
The front speakers can be at either 0.74m on their sides or at 1m upright.

The timeline on the new lounge layout is no longer just an idea, it's happening!
I'm pretty much there with planning the speaker positions and locations of main components. Next issue is HDMI.
From the TV to the AVR will be between 7.5 and 8m with some pretty tight bends inside trunking that wraps around chimney breast.
What would anyone recommend for this please?
From AVR to TV, only 4k at 60Hz full Dolby Vision etc but audio not required.
From TV back to AVR, only ARC required as TV doesn't have eARC.
If ARC is more difficult for a return, it may be easier to also run an optical audio back from TV instead.
Help would be much appreciated.

You only need one HDMI cable from AVR to TV - I carries audio in and ARC whether you need it or not. If it's going to be really tricky to replace the HDMI cable if it get's damaged or otherwise broken, it would be prudent to run a spare for backup.

If you want slim felxible cables with small, compact metal connectors, I recommend these. They come in various lengths so you can avoid having unnecessary loops of cable everywhere. Also, they're much easier to fit in trunking etc, being as they are so flexible.

Amazon product ASIN B00S0SNJ2K
I have purchased and use 10 of these in varying lengths (admittedly only up to 1.5M though) and they all work flawlessly in my setup (LG65 inch OLED, Sony 800X2 BR player, Pioneer LX-701 AVR, Zidoo Z9X multimedia player, Virgin V6) I have no problems playing any files through these, including 4k 6oHz from the Zidoo. Some of the reviews on Amazon say they don't work but I have had no issues.

Last edited:
The TV power lead will not be long enough, as I'm from the days of "putting a plug on things" I've no problem with that. But I'd normally use a junction box like this:
1626348994681.png

Is anyone aware of something lower profile that's still safe please?

Also, to help others. The sofas that we chose were half price "Warner 4 seater" at DFS. They are the most comfortable sofa that I have ever sat on.

And, to top that, they sit you high. So, MLP height is almost exactly half way in-between fronts and centre height (Centre's tweeter sits about 15cm higher than fronts).

Anyway, for anyone who has to mount their TV higher up, these are ideal sofas.

Lovely fireplace

Thanks. It was mahogany and red brick. We were thinking we'd have to demolish it and replace but thought it worth £25 of clever paint and a very patient wife with 5 different brushes. And we love it!

Please let me know when you find out about that fire make and model though. The gas one you can see doesn't work!

Oh also, don't know if you can see in the picture, the mantle piece is not level! We had to choose TV to be level (and line up with ceiling) or level with mantle piece! That's why we overlapped slightly over the T301c speaker to make it a bit less obvious (if it had a small gap it would've been 5mm one end and 10mm the other!).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom