• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

TV on a CAT-5 cable?

kular

Standard Member
Hi;

My first post to the forum and I hope that I am posting to the right one. I am not sure if I even know what to ask to address my problem.

I am moving into a newly constructed condo. The phone company has prewired the home with fibre-optic cable to a cabinet in the utility room. There are 4 prewired locations in the apartment. Three of the four have both CAT-5 and coaxial cable installed back to the utility cabinet so present no challenges. The fourth outlet has only CAT-5 cable. I don’t know if this was an oversight on someone’s part but I have to live with the missing coax.

After lengthy conversations with the phone company and the cable TV supplier, they both assure me that they would need a coaxial cable to that fourth location to be able to have TV service there.

Surface running a coax cable to the location is not an option and although I have not as yet spoken with an electrician to see if it could be fished, given the style of construction it is very unlikely that it would be a simple task.

So the question is whether a device might be available that would convert the signal for TV to something that could use the CAT-5 cable that is already there.

The TV that I am planning to use there has a HDMI port on it if it is possible to use that.

I hope that this makes sense to someone. I ain’t too technical!

Ray

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Using converters/extenders you can run all sorts of signals over Fibre and CAT5 these days – though ‘over Fibre’ tends to be a lot more costly than ‘over CAT’.

If the Cable tuner is integral to the TV you will require a Coaxial over CAT extender.

If the Cable signal is from a stand-alone Cable box you can locate the box in the utility room and then extend the HDMI Out of the cable box to the HDMI In on the TV plus send IR signals from the TV room back to the cable box over a single CAT cable - Octava HDMI Extender 4K2K Ultra HD. Extend video, audio, IR, RS-232 and PoE over single CAT 6 cable. 4K2K Ultra HD and 3D video resolution support. Enables link distance of 200ft on 1 LAN cable

Joe

Fred Smith

Hi;

My first post to the forum and I hope that I am posting to the right one.

Presumably you are in the the USA or somewhere else. If so the AVS forums maybe more suitable as this is a UK based forum.

If the Cable tuner is integral to the TV you will require a Coaxial over CAT extender.

VM don't do cable capable TV's, nor allow 'other' equipment not supplied by then to be connected to their network.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom