1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV not switching to SKY via remote

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by poinsy, May 18, 2005.

1. poinsy

poinsy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just moved into a mate’s flat. He has SKY+, connected to TV, VCR, and a DVD player via a myriad of RF loop-throughs and cheapo SCARTS. The quality of the SKY picture was poor, analogue channels much clearer than their digital equivalents (e.g. BBC1). I guessed it was using the inferior RF signal, or there is interference.

I have detached everything, and for simplicity, am just connecting SKY+ and the TV (an old Philips, model 25PT532B/05). The external aerial is going direct into the TV, and the SKY+ box is connected to the TV via SCART (new Cambridge Audio Premium). I have also set the SKY+ to output RGB rather than PAL. Now, the picture is fantastic, the menus much sharper also. I have no manual for the TV, so don’t know if it accepts RGB, but I assume if it looks sharper, then it is ok.

However, to watch SKY, I used to just press TV Guide on the SKY remote, this would wake the TV up also and show the menu. Not anymore. Just white fuzzy interference. I now have to press TV, 6, TV Guide to get to this same menu. If I then switch back to analogue BBC1 by pressing TV, 1, then go back to channel 6, it is fuzzy again!

Do I need to loop through the RF signal via SKY ?

2. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,663
    did you enable scart control when you enabled RGB ?
    John

3. poinsy

poinsy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, SCART control is ON.

The funny thing is that prior to me making any changes to the set-up, it just stopped working about 2 weeks ago :confused: in so much as I had to press several buttons to get SKY on in a morning, prior to this I only had to press TV Guide. I wonder whether there is something wrong with the TV, possibly the SCART socket ???

4. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Dont you have to press the Sky button to 'bring sky up'. If the remote is left in TV mode, i.e. used to switch the TV off at night, then the TV guide button is inactive AFAIK. Pressing Sky reactivates the remote for the SKY functions and switches the TV onto the Scart channel for SKY, and sets the Sky output to RGB.

The reason you get snow on channel 6 is that this is probably the channel you viewed Sky on via RF. You have said that the RF cables are not connected so you wont be able to watch Sky this way, but why would you want to anyway!

HTH

Wackojacko

5. poinsy

poinsy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Wackojacko, however previously, we simply had to press TV Guide to watch SKY. However, my mate had it set up as explained above, with RFs looped through each box (VCR, SKY, TV), and the picture was poor, but, as is often the case, he did not realise it was poor until I showed him the new set up (without RF), and then even better with RGB on !

I have just tried pressing the Sky button, then TV Guide without success. I wonder whether there is some setting on the TV blocking this.

6. poinsy

poinsy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update, I drew a diagram of the original set-up (with the poor picture quality):

The TV has 2 SCARTs, connected to the VCR & DVD player. The external aerial is connected to the Sky+ aerial in, then to the VCR, then to the TV. So, as you say, I reckon we were always watching Sky via channel 6 on the TV as opposed to via the SCARTs. Maybe the VCR modulated the signal (I just added that bit in to make it sound as though I know what I am talking about!)

7. poinsy

poinsy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some success!

I have followed the 2nd part of the advice in http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds11384.html regarding getting it to SCART switch when pressing one of the main Sky buttons as follows:

Press TV on Sky remote control.

Hold down select and the green button together for about two seconds, until the red light on the Sky remote control blinks twice.

Key in the number of the channel on your TV that you use for watching satellite TV (For SCART switching, this may be one of the other buttons on your remote e.g. help, i or a colour button).

Press select on your Sky remote control. The red light blinks twice.

By mucking around, I found that the Help button acts as the SCART switcher. So I can know watch Sky in the morning by simply pressing TV Guide.

One problem is that if you switch back to TV mode for something (BBC CEEFAX or whatever), then press TV Guide or Sky again it switches to the next external input – EXT2, which, in my case is temporarily blank. I am guessing that the Sky Help button in the above is simply iterating through the various inputs, in my case EXT1 for TV and EXT2. What would be better is if I could guarantee that it could switch to EXT1 and avoid this irritation.

Getting there.....

8. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    poinsy

I would try the following set up

DVD scart out to VCR scart on Sky box
    TV Scart out on sky box to EXT 1 on TV (or whichever is RGB capable)

Then you will be able to watch Sky via Scart and the scart control will work as intended. When you want to watch a DVD it will overide the Sky signal using the passthrough capabilities of the Sky box all in RGB quality. The RF signal is unaffected so you can still video from Sky at the same time.

You may need to undo the remote hack you did otherwise it could just switch to channel X on the TV instead.

Give it a go anyway

Wackojacko

9. poinsy

poinsy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will give it a go, in fact that is pretty much how I was intending to set it all up, however, I was intending to connect Sky+ TV SCART to DVD-Recorder, then DVD-Recorder SCART to TV SCART (EXT1) hoping that RGB will be passed through the DVD and I either watch Sky+ or a DVD. I need to leave one free SCART for my Home Cinema set-up.

But either way, at the moment, I have taken the DVD out of the equation, it is a simple set-up TV & Sky+, connected via the Sky+ SCART TV out to the TV EXT1, with Sky+ SCART control on, and supplying RGB.

I am trying something different now, taking the Remote Control out of the equation and turning Sky+ on via the front panel. I assume that ideally, this should wake the TV up to an incoming signal on EXT1 and switch to it, but it isn’t !!!!! I will try other SCART leads, but they are all good quality £30 Cambridge Audio jobs. I will also try the DVD player into the same EXT1 as opposed to Sky+ to see if when the DVD is turned on it wakes the TV up.

I suppose this could be a problem with the Sky+ box not sending the necessary SCART switching signal, or maybe more likely, the TV not responding to it !

Thanks for your help so far.

10. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You said it was a DVD player :) In that case your suggested way of connecting it all up is much more sensible to enable RGB recording from Sky+. May even be able to daisychain the home cinema through both, it works with my Xbox. Not sure about copy protection issues though with DVDs.

Its strange that the TV is still not responding, I would imagine the Cambridge leads are fully wired so I guess it's either a fault with the Sky box or the TV. Your suggestion of trying the DVDR seems sensible to eliminate the TV.

Keep playing, you'll figure it out in the end.

Wackojacko

11. poinsy

poinsy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are right Wackojacko32, I didn't mention my trip down to Richer Sounds to get a bargain DVD-Recorder (Panasonic DMR-E85H for £279.99). I also have a Panasonic SA-HT900 Home Cinema set-up, which will allow me to get the benefit of DVD-Audio. I can now banish the VCR.

I tried waking the TV up by powering up the DVD-Recorder, but to no avail.

Maybe I am expecting too much from this equipment. If the TV is on, then switching between TV mode and Sky is fine, simply pressing TV or TV Guide/Sky etc.

The problem is ONLY when the TV is in Standby mode, as it would typically be first thing in the morning. Then, I need to press a few more buttons, which is obviously a big deal as I am soooo lazy. But, it was more out of curiosity and to gain a better understanding of how these things work together (or not).

The solution, I have basically reset the Remote (to remove any macros), and all I need to do in the morning is press Help followed by Sky or TV Guide as necessary !!!!! This obviously assumes that the remote is still in TV mode, as it would typically be from turning the TV off the night before)

I think this whole mess started for 2 reasons:

1) My mate, whose flat I have just moved into, cannot find his Sky manual, so I did not know about the Help button to manually switch SCARTs

2) Previously, it was all going through RF loop-throughs !! Nothing was connected to the Sky SCARTs, hence the poor picture. The engineer who set it up may have stored a macro to switch to channel 6 on the TV when the Sky buttons were pressed.

So there it is – SORTED – many thanks for all your input.

Just a question, as I now intend to connect the DVD Recorder and Home Cinema equipment (Panasonic DMR-E85H & Panasonic SA-HT900) up, on the Sky+ box, does RGB come through both SCARTs, or just the TV one? The DVD player only has one SCART, the TV, Sky and DVD Recorder all have 2. There are a few connection permutations, I guess I would like to be able to play a DVD, be able to pause it and switch to Sky for news/sport etc, then return. But I would also need to be able to edit recordings on the DVD-Recorder hard disk that I have copied from the Sky hard disk. What would you recommend connection-wise ?

12. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Or just press the red button to switch the TV on :)

There's lots of threads on this sort of thing in the DVD Recorders section. But basically you're right it is a bit of a compromise when you only have one RGB scart on the TV. The Sky+ only outputs RGB from the TV out so its best to connect this to the E85 AV2 and the AV1 of the E85 to the RGB enabled scart of the TV (Ext 1 probably). I would then connect the DVD to the VCR scart of the Sky box to enable pass through when the DVD is on, you could then switch to channel 6 on the tv to view Sky if required. (provided you have connected the RF cables back up)

As for the VCR, you could if you want get a Scart to 3 phono lead (either switchable or output) and connect it to AV4 on the E85 (back phono connectors). Provided the E85 is on you can watch Videos by selecting AV4 as the source. You can also archive non copy protected videos onto DVD this way.

This is one of many ways, but probably the only way to get RGB quality from all devices without some sort of scart switcher.

Summary

DVD PLayer -> Sky+ VCR scart
    Sky+ TV Scart -> E85 AV2
    E85 AV2 -> TV RGB Scart
    VCR output -> E85 AV4 (if required)

Phew!

You could also get an S-video+2 phono to scart lead to connect the Sky+ directly to Ext 2 (provided it accepts s-video input) to get better quality picture when switching btw DVD and Sky news! Then again it might not justify the cost.

HTH

Wackojacko

13. poinsy

poinsy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, thanks for that. I guess from this that although the Sky+ box only outputs RGB via the TV SCART, it will still pass it through the VCR SCART?

Actually, the TV has 2 RGB SCARTS, so I may connect the DVD Player directly to the TV. Or, I could follow your method, or possibly even connect the DVD player to the DVD Recorder. I wonder whether I could then copy a DVD, purely for my own personal backups of course!

14. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Correct

Provided the original disk is not Copy Protected, e.g. for making a copy of a home made DVD for someone else etc, its possible. Most, if not all, commercial DVD's are copy protected and the DVDR knows this and wont copy them.

BTW, if the TV has two RGB scarts then I would plug the DVD player in separately. This will allow you to archive stuff from the Sky+ box to the DVDR and watch a DVD at the same time, which is not possible if using passthrough to watch DVD's.

HTH

Wackojacko