TV Noob about to make a purchase, HELP PLZ!

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by ToMoHJ, Mar 10, 2004.

1. ToMoHJ

ToMoHJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello peoples. I need to figure some stuff out before I make a big purchase and I wanted to get some info from someone who isn't actually trying to sell me the TV. What I'm looking at buying is a rear projection HDReady TV. Now here my questions start:

I was told that its a very good idea to get the extended service plan on a projection TV because there are lots of things that can happen to it like the projectors getting knocked out of place say if you where moving (is this really that likely if your carefull?). Now I know service plans are a crock because you usually never need them, but would this be a good idea in this situation? Btw, they wanted to charge me like an extra $250.

Secondly, I was told I need to buy a $200 power filter/regulator so that my TV will last longer and get a better picture. There was a less expensive one for $79 that was 1850 joules or whatever but they said that they don't use that one on TV's bigger than 37".

Is there any truth to either of these statements the sales guy told me? I just figured they where trying to sucker me out of money. So should I just ditch the service plan and plug this thing into the wall socket? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance (sorry for the wordy post)!!!!

-ToMo

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi ToMOHJ and Howdy from the UK :hiya:

Sounds like you're State-side, these forums cater mainly to Europe and other PAL regions so you may get some better advice over at www.avsforum.com

I'll give you my thoughts anyway although rear-pro owners will be able to give better advice:

You're right as far as extended warranties go, they usually aren't worth the money. Convergence and geometry are more susceptible to misalignment in RP TVs, however are also much more easily user correctable with a little confidence and a trip to the "Service Menu". If you still feel that you'd like the extra cover do you have to buy the warranty from the shop? In the UK at least, other insurers will offer similar insurance cover at much better prices; shop around!

I can't say how much you'll benefit from a power regulator/filter as I don't know what your local supply is like. At the very least get a simple surge protector to protect against lightning strikes etc.

Hope this helps :)

3. ToMoHJ

ToMoHJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thx for the advice ;)

4. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

The power filter you mention wouldn't happen to be made by "Monster" by any chance?

I recently read a feature in a US a/v magazine which said some highly misleading tactics were being used by salemen in America to sell "Monster" power conditioners.

One particular example said that a salesman was telling potential buyers of high definition tv's that if they just plugged a hi-def. set straight into the mains then there was no way they could ever watch a high definition signal as the unpurified current automatically downconverted everything to standard definition, and the only way to prevent this was to use a "monster" power conditioner :laugh:.

Personally, I would steer well clear of any product that was being sold in this way. If it offered any real benefits then sales people would be falling over themselves to demonstrate the improvements, and wouldn't have to resort to being dishonest to potential buyers.