TV Mounting Question/Problem

SGoodLatte

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking to mount my new tv on the wall, but its quite big so I want to make sure I do it correctly. I looked for studs and the stud finder showed that the studs are 6" apart, which is way to close for a normal wall. So then I made some holes where the stud finder showed that there are studs and in some places where it didn't. All of these holes showed that there is some kind of wood behind the wall, and I've heard that it could be plywood backing to make tv mounting easier. Is this common in new houses? And if it is plywood backing specifically for a tv, can I install my tv mount directly onto it or do I need some special bolt or anchor...especially because my tv is 85" and heavy (100 lbs).

Thanks
SGoodLatte

I can only speak from a UK perspective, but yes - 6" sounds too close for vertical batons in a stud wall. 40cm (~16") is a common spacing used over here.

I've never heard of houses being built in the way you suggest with TV mounting in mind here in the UK, but it's possible things may be done differently in the USA. You'll still need to find out the thickness of the wood you're mounting to though either way, so some more exploratory work will be necessary.

Plaster/plasterboard and plywood alone are not going to be sufficient to mount such a large, heavy TV so I think you're still going to need to locate the batons.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom