Question TV Minefield

KeithLancs

Standard Member
Reaction score
Ive got quite an old Panasonic Viera 42" plasma tv which, in all fairness does ok for me but Ive got a few spare coins and Id like to upgrade to something bigger and better. Id move the plasma into the bedroom.

I'm thinking of a 55" unit. I watch mainly freeview and stuff on the Firestick. Picture quality is important but bear in mind I am 47 and my eyesight is just starting to wain :( I know this because my arms are starting to become too short to read small writing on boxes etc.. :D

I sit about 12-14 feet away from the telly and viewing angles are not extreme at all.

Ive read a lot about stuttering and haloing and all the other stuff but quite frankly its all going over my head so... With a budget of up to £1200 (maybe a bit more for the right thing) what is out there that will do a real good job for me? I do want a good picture quality after all and gadgets... I do like a good gadget :D

Ive looked at all the various brands and really cant decide on anything. Id have gone with that LG E7 Oled deal that some lucky chaps had found but cant seem to get it any more. Must have been an error in the initial prices because the cheapest Ive found one recently is £2096 from IT Supplier which is more than I wanted to spend

I would keep an eye on those OLED prices since you are closer in budget than many. An £800 discount on the E7 holds promise for discounts on the cheaper B7 and C7.

If it was a mistake it was a mistake at more than one retailer.

I would keep an eye on those OLED prices since you are closer in budget than many. An £800 discount on the E7 holds promise for discounts on the cheaper B7 and C7.

If it was a mistake it was a mistake at more than one retailer.

In my industry, online sales is a major player and I including others use price matching software. I was thinking that with the electronics industry being way more popular than mine that they would have the same so assumed, maybe rightly, maybe wrongly that one had made an error and the other companies using automatic price matching software had blindly followed suit. Then again, price fixing is also rife with certain manufacturers insisting that a certain price level is kept for brand protection if nothing else.

I hope I can get a deal like the other guys but not hopeful.

Last years 55B6 was reduced around £250 at Black Friday. This years models are already cheaper than last years so unless they have already discounted them the most (doubtful in my eyes) then I certainly can see them doing something similar again this year.

Whilst I agree with what you are saying, it does make sense other retailers were accepting price matches for these products themselves. There was someone in a thread on here that managed to get John Lewis to price match the E7 offer elsewhere and he is getting the cashback offer from LG also...I think he got a 55" LG E7 for just north of £1000 which is incredible really.

And although the E7 is the nicer TV the only reason it carries a premium is due to its glass on glass design and sound bar. Everything else about it including its panel is identical to the lower range B7/C7 models...so it doesn't really surprise me that they can still make a profit selling it a lot cheaper.

I'm not saying it will happen, I'm just saying don't give up hope. Buying a TV is more about when you buy rather than what model you choose.

Besides, black Friday isn't the cheapest time to buy anyway, that comes in the clearance sales in spring, where again last years B6 went £250 cheaper again than its £1750 black Friday price.

These are TVs that retailed at £3000 new, crazy price reductions. I think its worth waiting to see what happens. I would be scared to buy now personally.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom