TV making Background “Squeak” sound, is it time to get rid off????

frcrilly

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a widescreen TV that’s a number of years old. It’s now making that continuous background “squeak” sound that old televisions tend to make. (I don’t know the correct name for this sound)

Is there anything I can do about this sound or does this mean the TV is simply dying a slow death and that it’s time to simply throw the TV in the bin.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for all responses.

I'd guess you are talking about a widescreen CRT TV here. The whine you can hear may not be terminal unless you can see a degredation in the picture. It is generally caused by capacitors in the high voltage production circuits, less commonly in the deflection coil drivers. Nothing to worry about unless you really can't stand the noise or see the picture failing. It will be going in the bin whenever you change regardless.

Hth.

If zorba's imaginative solution doesn't work and if it's a CRT (cathode ray tube) TV, post your query in the CRT section of these forums - stating the make and model number of the TV.
(I wouldn't mind some of whatever Zorba's been smoking or ingesting :) ).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom