TV Link - what cable & where?

weemax

Standard Member
Ok guys, so I'm a total noob at all this :blush:

I currently have a philips "wireless transmitter" type thingy to send my sky picture upstairs from my sky digibox & so I can change my channels as well.

However! The whole thing is a farce as my router & a cordless phone sit beside the sender...

So, Ive went & purchased a tv link like THIS.

I'm now stuck as I'm totally unsure what type of cable I need for the task ahead... I was hoping to pick some cable up in Maplin (if its not too expensive in there) as there is one nearby.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as it driving me nuts! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
It's just normal 75ohm TV Coax. If the run is particulary long you might want to use sat grade coax. PF100 or WF100. If not RG6 will be fine.

logiciel

One end of the aerial cable plugs into the Sky receiver's RF2 socket, the other into the socket on the device, and the device into the remote TV.

weemax

Standard Member
Thats great guys, thank you very much for the help.

Ive just figured out (long story) that the house is kind of "pre cabled" for tv aerials (bedroom & kitchen socket etc). Now Ive worked out that I can use this to my advantage instead of running cable round the house. BUT... I need to join 2 pieces of the coaxial cable together..? Any ideas what to use? The join will be in the attic, so inside.

Last edited:

logiciel

A connector, like two sockets joined together - about 50p from your local store.
They come in m-m, f-f, and m-f, so get the right one!

weemax

Standard Member
A connector, like two sockets joined together - about 50p from your local store.
They come in m-m, f-f, and m-f, so get the right one!

Thanks!

Can I please be a real noob & ask for a link showing the connectors, so I know what I'm looking for :blush:

It is shielded cable that is there. It is the silver foil stuff.

logiciel

weemax

Standard Member
Cheers for that! Would I just put 2 males on each end of cable to be joined & then plug them into that?

simpson

Standard Member
You can buy a coax female socket and a coax male plug from Maplins or any good supplier. You will not then need a seperate coupler.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Except the manufacturers recommend using fully screened coax. That means cable having a foil wrap. Of course you can try anything - even bell wire flex will work - but you run the risk of intermittent operation because of interference pick up.
Problems with your TV Link?

You don't need double screened coax for UHF unless the signal strength is very weak or the cable runs excessively long. It's very rare for problems at UHF most impulse interference get's in at unscreened terminations like cheap wall plates. Certainly for a RF modulator outputting an analogue channel signal strength is not going to be a issue. What does fully screened mean, RG6 has a continous screen anyway

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Thanks!

Can I please be a real noob & ask for a link showing the connectors, so I know what I'm looking for :blush:

It is shielded cable that is there. It is the silver foil stuff.

THe RF2 output is male so needs a female connector, the other end needs the opposite. It's pretty standard to use female sockets/male plugs for inputs and vice versa for outputs.

logiciel

Would I just put 2 males on each end of cable to be joined & then plug them into that?
If they haven't already got plugs on them do as simpson says, put a m on one and a f on the other.
Otherwise yes.

MartinPickering

You don't need double screened coax for UHF unless the signal strength is very weak or the cable runs excessively long.

You missed the point. Remote extender signals are around 47MHz (not UHF) and quite weak. They are quite susceptible to interference, as many people have discovered when they ignored the manufacturers' advice to use fully screened cable. Anyone installing their own cable would be crazy (or misinformed) to save a few pennies on cheap cable and risk problems.

I've been selling this equipment since Sky Digital was introduced and answering "why is my magic eye intermittent?" questions every day because people use cheap cable.

Never the less, some people have gotten away with cheap coax and even cheap twin flex for short runs where it could only go under a carpet. So nothing is set in stone (but if it's set in plaster, you'll have an expensive job to replace it if it doesn't work reliably!)

(RG6 is not "ordinary 75 Ohm TV coax".)

Last edited:

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
You missed the point. Remote extender signals are around 47MHz (not UHF) and quite weak. They are quite susceptible to interference, as many people have discovered when they ignored the manufacturers' advice to use fully screened cable. Anyone installing their own cable would be crazy (or misinformed) to save a few pennies on cheap cable and risk problems.

I've been selling this equipment since Sky Digital was introduced and answering "why is my magic eye intermittent?" questions every day because people use cheap cable.

Never the less, some people have gotten away with cheap coax and even cheap twin flex for short runs where it could only go under a carpet. So nothing is set in stone (but if it's set in plaster, you'll have an expensive job to replace it if it doesn't work reliably!)

(RG6 is not "ordinary 75 Ohm TV coax".)

47MHz is only VHF way below the frequency required for high qualty coax. You can connect a VHF aerial using unscreened 300ohm balanced twin.

RG6 is the generic name for lots of cables and is the most common in normal use including most pre digital UHF TV insatallations. I don't have a skylink but my son in law has a skylink working over about 25m of single screened commonly known as low loss with no problems at all.

RG-6 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Out of interest Satcure recommend RG6 as shown in the link here

Intermittent eyes usually are generally caused by incorrectly fitted belling lee's. Failure to solder the centre core creating a high resistance as the copper corrodes and eventually causing loss or severe attenuation of the 9V DC power supply.

http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/tvlink2.htm

http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page8.htm#RG6

Which is more than a little odd !

Last edited:

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
47MHz is only VHF way below the frequency required for high qualty coax. You can connect a VHF aerial using unscreened 300ohm balanced twin.

RG6 is the generic name for lots of cables and is the most common in normal use including most pre digital UHF TV insatallations. I don't have a skylink but my son in law has a skylink working over about 25m of single screened commonly known as low loss with no problems at all.

RG-6 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Out of interest Satcure recommend RG6 as shown in the link here

Intermittent eyes usually are generally caused by incorrectly fitted belling lee's. Failure to solder the centre core creating a high resistance as the copper corrodes and eventually causing loss or severe attenuation of the 9V DC power supply.

Problems with your TV Link?

Coaxial satellite digital cable Satellite extension leads - sky+ extension leads - Freeview extension leads

Which is more than a little odd !

RG6 should refer to a double screened cable usually with aluminium foil screen and copper braiding. Many people misdescribe ordinary single screen (braiding only) TV coaxial cable as RG6 which is what you seem to be doing.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
RG6 should refer to a double screened cable usually with aluminium foil screen and copper braiding. Many people misdescribe ordinary single screen (braiding only) TV coaxial cable as RG6 which is what you seem to be doing.

Nope if you look at the link RG6 has an aluminium screen, All I was trying to say it in my experience works fine with normall low loss single screen cable which new build installations normally use for the return cable anyway.

weemax

Standard Member
All sorted now for anyone that is interested. Thanks all for your help :)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom