TV Link has a signal but still cannot change channels

andybubbles

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Im having a problem with my set up and i hope someone can help:)

This is my current set up:

I have just installed a Sony TV KDL-32U3000 upstairs. I have conneted a aerial coaxial cable going from my sky HD box downstairs into a booster and another coaxial cable from the booster going up stairs to the tv. I have connected a TV LINK on the TV upstairs.

Now the weird part is that the TV link upstairs is receiving a signal (the light comes on) and i can watch the channels i am watching from the HD box downstairs :)

However, i cant seen to change any of the channels (hence the point of the TV link). Nothing seems to work apart from showing the picture.

Im really confused why this is happening. Could it be?

My TVLINK is not compatible with Sky HD?
My tv needs its settings changed to allow the remote changes?
My SKY HD box needs some settings changed to work?

Im really confused and would really appreciate your help guys.

Many thanks in advance!

Cheers
Andy

Turn the upstairs LCD off and then try to change the channel and see if it works:)

If I remember correctly, the TV Link unit upstairs needs DC power from the Sky Box in order to work. This is carried up the coaxial cable from the second Sky output.

Assuming TV Link has been activated in the Digibox menu the most likely cause of problems will be the booster which will pass the UHF signals but totally block the DC power.

I would remove the booster and see if things suddenly start working.

Assuming TV Link has been activated in the Digibox menu

I dont think i have done this. Are you saying that you have to set the HD box to activate the TV Link? If so, can you please explain how?

Many thanks again...

Andy

I dont think i have done this. Are you saying that you have to set the HD box to activate the TV Link? If so, can you please explain how?

Many thanks again...

Andy

If the little light on the TVlink is working then it's getting voltage so that should be ok. If you want to confirm then make sure you are using RF2 and from the remote...

Services
Select

Then choose RF Outlets.

Services
Select

After i select services and then i select 4 i cant see 0 anywhere.

It just has 1-8.

What should i be looking for?

Thanks again

Andy

Services, 4, 0, 1, Select, RF Outlets, RF Outlet Power Supply...switch it to on and "Save new Settings".

Hey guys,

You are a bunch of geniuses :)

Thanks for your help! Works a treat!

Cheers
Andy

Watch the fact that you are using boosters as you really need to be using boosters that are happy to have 9v shunted through them down the coax! They should be equipped with 'Digital Bypass'(for remote extenders), these are safe to use.

Are you certain that you actually need the boosters? If you haven't tried it yet, I would simply get a couple of cheapo joiners and try the run directly through to the skybox and see what the picture is like myself. No reason to use boosters if you don't need to and are only feeding the 1 TV upstairs :)

Youre right. It actually works well without the booster.

I checked the booster and it is compatible, and the set up in the instructions is exactly how i have set it up.

Theres not much difference between the quality when i take it off. I 'think' it looks slightly better with the booster. Thats how close it is. But, as i have already purchased the booster and its compatible i may as well use it if its meant to improve quality.

I will pin it on the wall so it doesnt over heat near all the cabling.

Cheers
Andy

Just my opinion, based on many different coax wiring jobs fitted/altered over the years, I agree that I can't help but feel that a booster almost always helps when cbales have to be joined (despite there being no real visual evidence of that a lot of the time lol), but personally I would stick with just 1 booster on that line if poss as if you boost it too much you can actually do more harm than good as you probably know.

In a perfect world of course you would just fit 1 single run of 75ohm Belden cable or similar but more often than not it's a chore ;). Being as anal as I am I tend to rip out sections of cable where I am having to join/boost them but that's just me :lesson:

Thanks. At the moment i have the one booster connected for the tv link upstairs (SKY). I have another question though.....

Upstairs i only use SKY as i do not have a normal coax cable coming from the outside aerial. This is fine, because i will only ever use sky and i can get all the main stations with sky (bbc,bbc2 etc). So, does the booster actually affect sky channels or is it only meant to help boost channels on the aerial?

Cheers

As you probably know, if you feed an aerial in to the sky box then you can get both terrestrial, Freeview and the dedicated Sky RF channel through it, the booster will try to boost ALL signals through it across the frequency it is rated for. As the Sky feed is being sent on a RF channel it will be being boosted. I wouldn't expect it to make a huge amount of difference as a strong recieving signal on the Sky box will far outweigh anything that a RF booster can do.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom