TV Link between widescreen TV and standard TV?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by carlina, Dec 30, 2004.

1. carlina

carlina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I feel foolish pursuing such a low-tech question, but I'm on a relatively low-tech track. At the moment I have a 20in Sanyo TV hooked up to a Panasonic Sky digital STB, a DVD player, a VHS and an old Sky analogue STB. One way or another, it all works just fine. I've been wanting to set up a TV in the bedroom and use some form of TV link (cable or wireless) not only to watch Sky digital channels on the second TV, but also to control it with a/the Sky remote.

I hadn't imagined opting for a widescreen TV, but as I look around I realise that it might be a good idea. If the new widescreen TV replaces the 20in TV in my existing set-up and I move the 20in TV to the bedroom, I'll presumably need to reprogram the Sky digital STB for widescreen. Presumably. And presumably this will have implications for sending the signal across to the old 20in TV.

Is this do-able?

Many thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

Carlina

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Yes.

A simple TVlink device connected to RF2 of the digibox allows you to control it from a second location and the digibox software knows which input it is being controlled by and can automatically alter the picture ratio.
    So use the remote in the mainroom and the digibox outputs 16:9, use the remote via the TVlink in the room with the old TV and the digibox outputs 4:3.
    Of course you are still left with a compromise if both TV's are in use at the same time watching the same program:)

3. roydonaldson

roydonaldson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If you use the TVLink on the RF2 output in the Setup menu for Picture, there is now an option which allows you to set the aspect ratio of the RF2 output seperately from the standard RF out. I used this when I had a 16:9 TV downstairs and a 4:3 upstairs.

Roy.

4. mafri1972

mafri1972

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There always was an option on my old Sky box, but I've just bought a Sky+ box (Pace 3100) and the option to set the second aspect ratio to 4:3 doesn't seem to be there! Magic Eye is fully operational otherwise.
    Does anyone have any bright ideas?

5. mafri1972

mafri1972

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To answer my own post -> I've just done a forced download and that seems to have done the job. It must be a new feature, although I'm sure I've used it for a while and I'm surprised a new box didn't come with the latest software!

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    A "new" box might have been sitting in a warehouse for a few months :)