TV Link - 3RD TV not working

carter

Standard Member
Reaction score
Apologies if on another thread, searched but nothing quite the same.

TV in the kitchen with TV Link connected and working fine. Have connected another TV Link into the bedroom but the LED doesn't light up, but the Sky picture is fine so the loftbox is doing its job in distributing the signal. Checked the 2nd TV Link in the kitchen and it works there so is not faulty.

So guessing the 9v power is not reaching the bedroom. The cable is all plumbed into the walls so can not replace, it doesnt go into a wall box, just a 75ohm coax cable out of the wall, so . I disconnected the kitchen TV Link in case this was taking all the power but the bedroom one still doesn't work

How can i test to see if there is any power coming through this cable at all. If there isn't any or its minimal is there anyway to supplement power onto the cable or boost it??

Any advice greatfully received

Should mention this is a bog standard sky box

Last edited by a moderator:
so the loftbox is doing its job

Loftbox or distributor/amplifier?
How does the cable from the RF2 get into the kitchen?

So the SKY RF2 out goes to the loftbox then from there its distributed throughout the house. The kitchen pictures and a TV Link remote to operate the Sky box is all working fine.

The bedroom is getting pictures but when I connect a TV Link remote, the LED doesn't light up and unable to operate the Sky box from the bedroom

Presumably you've tried swapping the Magic Eyes over to ensure that it is the cabling/connection, rather than just a duff Magic Eye, which is giving you the problem? i.e. Do both Magic Eyes work okay in the kitchen? And does neither Magic Eye work in the bedroom?

Checked the 2nd TV Link in the kitchen and it works there so is not faulty.

So guessing the 9v power is not reaching the bedroom.

Correct. So you have faulty connectors, or cable, in your bedroom connection.

Have you tried another bedroom?

ok so have checked every room with the both magic eyes and all worked fine except this one, typical as this is the master bedroom so is the only one that i currently want to be working.

given i get a good picture am reluctant to say its the cable or connections at fault.

only recently moved to the house and was wired by the previous owner, just looked at the loftbox and bedroom 1 doesnt appear to have a cable labelled but all other rooms do and clearly it is connected as can get a picture from the Sky box

Would a TV Link power injector help or would i be wasting my money and need to find the break or poor connection?

Can you not just run an RF cable from one of the other bedrooms (which does also power the Magic Eye) to the master bedroom? Bedroom 1 is probably running off a spur from one of the other bedrooms - and wherever this spur is, it isn't carrying the voltage whilst it is capable of carrying the analogue RF signal. From that point of view, a booster won't achieve anything, because all you will be boosting is zero voltage in the first place.

Last edited:
.. and clearly it is connected as can get a picture from the Sky box...

Is your TV aerial directly connected to the TV transmitter? (UHF frequencies do not need a direct connection)

Running an RF cable is definitely the last resort as dont want a rogue cable being seen.

Have worked out the bedroom is on its own dedicated line out of the loftbox as disconnected all the others in turn and only 1 disconnected the signal to this bedroom. Tried plugging this into the working kitchen line and still a signal but no voltage to power the magic eye, so clearly there is an issue with the cabling.

Then noticed the reason the master bedroom isn't labelled out of the loftbox is this cable then goes to a small grey box with VISION printed on it, 3 cables one labelled BED1, another cable labelled SAT and a 3rd labelled UHF/VHF that then feeds into it as well. open it up and inside is a Masthead Diplexer. I disconnect this and plug the Bedroom 1 cable directly into the Loftbox. SUCCESS!! The led now lights up in that bedroom, so it was this diplexer that was causing the problem, everything seems to be fine without it so now discard. Do I need this diplexer??

HOWEVER a new problem has evolved. If I have both the kitchen and bedroom plugged in to the magic eyes, both LED work but the remote isn't working. if i disconnect either of them, ie only have 1 magic eye plugged in then works fine..... am guessing this is a simple issue as many of u have multi magic eyes off 1 sky box i gather??

Last edited:
Is your TV aerial directly connected to the TV transmitter? (UHF frequencies do not need a direct connection)

TV aerial is into a Y connector, one end to the main TV in the lounge the other goes into the SKY box, seems if dont have this plugged into the SKY box then I don't get Digital TV around the house

You missed my earlier point but never mind.

Plug the aerial directly into RF In on the Sky box and plug your lounge TV into RF1.

I have 2 Sky boxes, both set up in the lounge hidden in a cupboard.

1) HD connected to main TV, the RF2 output is used for a magic eye for this TV, this has been hidden in the wall by the previous owner so although I can use the eye I cant connect to TV out part to the TV, but this isn't necessary as I have the Y splitter taking the TV signal to the main TV

the other end of the Y splitter goes to.....

2) basic Sky box contected, which then uses the RF2 out to the loftbox and the rest of the house. This is the box that now has 2 magic eyes to it but neither work if both connected, but work fine if only 1 is connected.

So how can i have 2 magic eyes on one system and both operate the Sky box?

You were answering my question while I was typing it, so it's gone now!
I don't follow part 1 at all - what is connected to what and how?

Last edited:
Do you mean that :confused: - the TV aerial is connected separately, into the TV and into the Sky receiver?
It needs only one connection - as SN says - into the Sky receiver - then RF1 out to TV in.

Hope have explained myself above I have 2 sky boxes. So have split the TV signal to in essence go to both boxes.

The only issue now is why when both magic eyes are connected neither will work

OK, let's ignore the HD box and the main TV, neither of which, by any means, connect to the other TV's or Eyes in the house - correct?
Your other TV's can only connect to the regular Sky box, via RF2 - correct?

Please confirm.

Correct other TVs are SKY box via RF2, if both bedroom and kitchen magic eyes are connected neither work, if only 1 is connected then works fine

.. if only 1 is connected then works fine..

Unplug the kitchen Eye the bedroom one works fine? Unplug the bedroom Eye the kitchen one works fine?

Yes?

ok, completely confused now. Both have the LED lights on

Kitchen is now completely not working whether bedroom is connected or not

Bedroom only works when the kitchen is not plugged in

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

Yes, but I won't express them.

a) Go up into the loft and locate all the cables, (you say you have done)
Directly connect the Sky box RF2 cable to the cable going down to the kitchen. - Everything OK?

b) If OK, do exactly the same thing, connecting RF2 with the bedroom cable. _ Everything OK?

If No to a) remove the power from the Sky box, wait 30 secs, re-plug the Sky box, check RF2 Power is set to On on the Sky box and repeat a) and b).

unfortunately i dont have any way of connecting the sky RF2 cable to the individual kitchen/bedroom cables.

i have just swapped over the working magic eye from the bedroom into the kitchen and now the kitchen works, but if i try the kitchen one in the bedroom doesnt work and if both plugged in neither works.

So it appears since i have connected the new magic eye the original one no longer works at all and when connected jams the other one. does this make sense??

am guessing need a need magic eye. even though both are new and genuine

i dont have any way of connecting the sky RF2 cable to the individual kitchen/bedroom cables.
Why not?
It must be easy to see which cable comes up from the SKy receiver and which goes down to one of the rooms, so you pull their plugs out of the sockets they're in and connect them together, direct if one's m and the other f, or with a connector if they're both m or both f.

Why not?
It must be easy to see which cable comes up from the SKy receiver and which goes down to one of the rooms, so you pull their plugs out of the sockets they're in and connect them together, direct if one's m and the other f, or with a connector if they're both m or both f.

exactly both male f connectors and don't have any female connectors.

although as said above, to compound it one of the eyes appears to have developed a fault and isn't working and when plugged in prevents the other one from working

Last edited:
These are aerial cables with screw-in f-connectors?
Whether they're that or plug-in ones a connector would be about 50p from your corner shop.
Have you thought of giving up the "magic eyes" altogether?
IR remote control extenders are so much less hassle and don't cost much.

These are aerial cables with screw-in f-connectors?
Whether they're that or plug-in ones a connector would be about 50p from your corner shop.
Have you thought of giving up the "magic eyes" altogether?
IR remote control extenders are so much less hassle and don't cost much.

I don't think I need to check the individual cables as having tested them through the loftbox individually both are working fine. Its only when the eye is added to both that there becomes an issue

Am using the magic eyes as the sky box is in the TV room and looking to control it from the bedroom and kitchen, so are there are any reliable wireless IR extenders you can recommend??

The cables or devices can have a fault that allows the channels to go one way with no problem but that prevents the remote control going back the other way. Connecting the two cables directly together is a simple way of testing part of that.
There many makes and models of IR Extender. Powermid is a typical make and a search will find others.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom