TV licences: Up to 3.7 million over-75s to pay licence fee

Discussion in 'Film & TV On Demand Streaming Services' started by JabbaNut, Jun 10, 2019.

1. JabbaNut

JabbaNut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    TV licences: Up to 3.7 million over-75s to pay licence fee

"
    Free TV licences for up to 3.7m pensioners are being scrapped, the BBC has announced.

Under the new rules, only low-income households where one person receives the pension credit benefit will still be eligible for a free licence.

In 2015, the government announced the BBC would take over the cost of providing free licences for over-75s by 2020 as part of the fee settlement.

But that would have cost £745m, a fifth of the BBC's budget, by 2021/22.

The new scheme will cost the BBC around £250 million by 2021/22 depending on the take-up.

"

Blanket free TV licence for over-75s scrapped

2. Deleted member 275754

Deleted member 275754

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Absolutely time to end the license fee altogether.

I used to defend it on the basis of the quality anchor argument, but that was a long time ago and holds less and less water as the world changed.

The BBC has become an organisation with definite and undesireable ideology, both in its output and in its behaviour organisationally. Now that's fine, but don't make me pay for it by force of law and be tied in to an informative activity that I would be barred from if I refuse. It has become an absolute outrage, on principle.

I have considered ending my live tv viewing, however with the online content scooped up in the licensing purview, its actually quite difficult to avoid it. Then there's the pestering and possible harrassment that may ensue.

Its anti-freedom. Parliament needs to end it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,538
    This is partly the government's fault did they say they not end the free licence yet thrown the ball back in the BBC court. And the BBC love to throw money around Gary Lineker suppose to be on £1.75 mill plus they have a gang of pundits.
    Is there any reason to have News Website plus a channel for just news.
    Every week there a news feedback program on at 7.50am Saturday but of all the complaints you never get an apology there never wrong even if it blatantly obvious they been bias in there reportng they deny it.

4. JabbaNut

JabbaNut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Yeah, way back I too use to defend the BBC on quality and honesty, but not any more. They have gone form informing and education to political bias and looking after the lovies.
    They should be made to carry adverts between shows and the TV license froze. There are several PSB now , so the services the TV license pay for, should be put out tender, and the news split away from the BBC.

The BBC claim how great they are, yet the younger audience are ignoring them. There political correct nation building is driving nails in their coffin.

5. Deleted member 275754

Deleted member 275754

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are certain things the BBC do that merit support from general taxation. I'm thinking of things like World Service ( a victim of prior cuts ), indiginous language and cultural support e.g. Gaelic, Parliamentary coverage, local community access tv.

As with any kind of expenditure people will differ in their view of good or bad uses, but at least done this way, it is no longer tied into an informative activity that you may be barred from if you resist paying for one special case whose behaviour you abhore. Also the absolute size of the drain would be far more limited.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2019
  6. JabbaNut

JabbaNut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Kill the TV license tax, if the BBC wants to go subscription let them. Their private half already makes money and many shows are joint ventures. Gentleman Jack is HBO and BBC America . Britbox unless they fallout will be BBC, BT and ITV. Youview was founded by the same group, Freesat BBC and ITV, Freeview Arqiva, BBC, ITV, 4, and Sky.

The TV tax should end and not be a left lovies political parties funding tax.

7. Deleted member 275754

Deleted member 275754

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, except as I said there is much less harm in provision from general taxation for certain activities. The key point to me, is in ending the licence and disentangling it from the activity of watching tv. I really object to the force involved in making me pay for a horribly ideological organisation like the BBC and tying that in to whether I can participate in the general activity involving dozens of other providers, at all if I refuse to pay. Or, if I insist on participation viz a viz the other providers but simultaneously refuse to pay for the BBC that I risk jail eventually for my defiance.

8. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,538
    Some of the BBC decisions a astonishing they said if they don't charge the pensioners they have to close BBC2 down yet they have 3 children channels although one a HD channel of a SD channels, as through HD the main requisite of children. They could at least shut one down and stick the children programs on BBC1 in the afternoon like they did in the past instead of auction, garden improvements and quiz programs, they even having one go up against The Chase which I find Pointless :rolleyes::laugh:

9. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,538
  10. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27,716
  11. Deleted member 275754

Deleted member 275754

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am very seriously considering ending it. I hardly watch any broadcast tv anyway.

In the past I have shrugged my shoulders and said to myself, 1) its not much money 2) don't be such a weirdo and just go along and 3) compliance is getting more and more tricky with online content possibly being received unintentionally i.e. its a hassle to watch out for.

But now, my objection to the BBC has risen to the point where I really, really don't want to fund it and I may be prepared to make the sacrifice of all other broadcast tv to achieve that. My decision if I come to it, will not have been triggered by the removal of blanket exemption for over 75s, or by inefficiency, salaries or past mistakes regarding scandals. My objection is to funding an organisation that now disgusts me both in it's output and organisational behaviour AND being forced to fund it by choosing to participate in receiving tv AND losing that general ability if I decide to defund the BBC.

The only thing now holding me back is uncertainty regarding certain livestreaming content that may make it too pesky and uncertain with regard to compliance. If I do this it will have to be a genuine sacrifice and compliance with the law. Hopefully one day I'd get my access to live tv broadcast restored when Parliament sees sense and gets the time to make the changes. Until then if I decide to personally defund the BBC then I just have to accept the sacrifice involved.

12. Deleted member 275754

Deleted member 275754

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Put another way, my reticence is far less the loss of programme material as the nuisance and uncertainty involved in being watchful over compliance.

I just wish Parliament would hurry up and disentangle BBC funding from personal acts and choices.

13. JabbaNut

JabbaNut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    The over 75 must be so happy they fund the money poor BBC:confused:

BBC record high reach
    "
    More people around the world are tuning into the BBC than ever before, reaching a new high of 426 million a week – an increase of 50 million (13 per cent) over the year, according to new figures released by the Corporation.

The Global Audience Measure (GAM) shows BBC News has an audience of 394 million globally, a rise of 47 million. The BBC World Service in English, and 42 languages, account for 319m of that figure – with an increase of 41 million. "

BBC record high reach

14. mazon27091

mazon27091

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    I do think it should be means tested because some pensioners are not poor and could easily afford the licence. However the rest are left to suffer, if they struggle to pay the heating bill in the winter they may decide the yearly/monthly charge for BBC TV is a luxury they cannot afford.

15. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,538
    Trouble with means testing if your just over the threshold you can end up a finacaly a lot worse missing out on a raft of benefits and having to cut back on things that those just under are given free.
    Also those over the limit more than likely have paid more into the system and then get less back out of it.
    Also does it send the message don't save for your old age as you be penalised for it you do you may as well live it to the full now. Although I understand some people can't.

16. The Dark Horse

The Dark Horse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +858
    What will happen if some 90 year old refuses to pay it, are they going to chuck them in jail?

17. Goooner

Goooner
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18,113
    What would happen if loads of them refused? They can't lock them all up.

18. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,538
    I wonder if the BBC will back down as I posted in the past they never admit they've made wrong decisions. There was a complaint about a question which the contestant seemed to get wrong and won but rather than admitting they got it wrong but the contestant still won with fewer passes there saying everyone listening heard it wrong. What do you think Gerbil or Jerboa.
    Mastermind's new champion defends win after controversy over final answer

19. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +627
    I read a letter in my local newspaper from a pensioner which I think hit the nail on the head. In essence it said: “If I’m going to be forced to pay for my TV licence can I have some programmes that I actually want to watch?” Not an unreasonable expectation, in my book. Much of the output from the BBC is aimed at the younger end of the spectrum, the ‘yoof’ or millenial segment. BBC3 is a classic case. The BBC moves it to become an online only channel, because the ‘young’ only ever stream stuff, but now it’s shoving output from BBC3 on BBC1 in order to encourage younger people to watch. Am I missing something here, other than yet another demonstration of the money that the corporation wastes? There’s plenty that they could do to to trim costs: reduce the fees they pay to the ‘talent’; reduce the over-inflated salaries that they pay; scrap channels such as BBC Parliament, and so on. I do think that the licence fee should be paid by over 75s if they can afford it. Likewise, I don’t think that it should have to be paid by those on very low incomes. The only real losers here are those that are forced to pay for something that they derive no value from.

Clem

20. JabbaNut

JabbaNut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Now if a nice internet or mobile company would give over 75s unlimited data internet for less than the cost of a TV licence. Then see the BBC squeal .

21. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,538
    There was a good letter on Points of View last weekend what was the political debate with the 5 contestants and someone wrote and said it was a shambles and the BBC want to stick to what they're best at charging the over 75s for licence fees and showing repeats.:laugh:

22. Dalesman

Dalesman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    An option as well as Pension credit getting a free TV licence should be... Applying for a Free TV Licence at the age of 75 providing they have no more in savings than someone on pension credit that secures a life time Free TV license.

All the BBC have to do is put the amount on the application form of the current savings a pension Credit person can have at the time of applying with correct wording.

I think Guaranteed pension Credit, or Pension Credit, savings maximum is either 10 or 15K.

I would think people with more than that would be able to buy a TV license.

23. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,538
    Although some people are not in the situation where they can save up but the other side is if people been prudent all there lives rather than pissing it up a wall and having exotic holidays, they get punished for it, interest rate are crap so year on year inflation creeps into savings. And 10 or 15k not that much its not even what Gary Linker gets a week.
    Also have a double whammy they get less pension and also have to use there savings.

If its £10k and they live 10 years that's £19 if they use it which is little more than you get credit pension top up.