TV / leads - a list of what works best

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by DIRY, Mar 18, 2006.

1. DIRY

DIRY
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Looks like it does have a SCART...

BUT not sure how well it's going to work on a 14" portable.

Never tried that, so not sure if your £18 would be well spent or not, sorry, or if you would be better of finding a cheap LCD monitor on fleabay and buying a VGA lead instead.

Probably best off starting a new thread along the lines of '360 on a "14 portable TV - help!' :)

Apols that I can't help more than that :(

2. Southernguy

Southernguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi Guys,

I'm using the component leade to connect my 360 to my tv but I need a longer cable (about 5m).

Can anyone point me in the right direction of where i can get either a male/female component cable or a longer totally new xbox 360 cable?

Cheers

3. Marky23

Marky23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. DIRY

DIRY
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    To be absolutely 100% honest Marky - I haven't got a clue! :( (sorry!)

You really would be a lot better off starting a new thread - people are much more likely to read it and reply that way :)

This thread was really intended to collate existing answers, rather than collect questions :)

Southernguy - same applies really - a new thread is much more likely to get you a range of answers :) (sorry also!)

However, to my knowledge, all available 360 leads are of a similar length - but there are a host of extention cables out there that should do your job :)
    Can't comment on which is best tho :( as it's not something I've had to use since over 10 years ago when I first got a PC with a DVD player built in - and had it in a completly seperate room to the TV :)

5. Alyson

Alyson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    TV: LG 26LX2R
    360 Lead used: MS official VGA

Our XBMC'd Xbox is squatting in our component input at the moment, so when we got our 360 yesterday we picked up an official VGA cable to go with it. Still going to have a pick up an HDMI-DVI cable to plug the PC back in, though...

So we set it all up and, one DVI-VGA adaptor later, the 360 is looking completely beautiful on our screen. We've set the 360's resolution to 1280x720 (despite the TV being a 1366x768 panel) partially because we've read about various frame-rate issues and partially because the LX2R's in-panel scaling is really good. It also has another advantage, which I'll get to in a minute.

With the DVI input on the TV set to "PC", the picture from the 360 is absolutely gloriously sharp and vibrant. There's no shimmering in the deep colours and everything looks beautiful, with no overscan at all: every pixel the 360's sending is up on the screen, looking lovely.

The advantage of sending 1280x720 over the VGA cable is that the TV can also switch the DVI input to "DTV", which kicks in the XD engine and all the saturation and sharpness controls you can eat. In this mode the colours are more vibrant than in PC mode, but there are two big drawbacks: the sharpness is reduced (and no amount of playing with the sharpness control can get it all back) and the picture overscans, so at the sides you lose about 2/3rds of an inch of picture.

So we use PC mode for the dashboard and any game where we want super-sharpness or no overscan (Oblivion, PGR3, Geometry Wars) and we use the DTV mode for any game that screams out for really offensively vibrant colours and overscan doesn't matter so much (Kameo, Burnout Revenge). In both modes the 360 looks amazingly gorgeous, and I'd be perfectly happy if I was stuck using one or the other.

Our settings (from memory):

PC mode:
    Contrast: 80
    Brightness: 45

DTV mode:
    XD engine: on
    Fleshtone alteration: 0,0,0
    Contrast: 80
    Brightness: 48
    Saturation: somewhere around 40
    Sharpness: 35

6. DIRY

DIRY
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Great post - Cheers Alyson! :thumbsup: :clap: :smashin:

7. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,632
    I have a Panny 42" PV500 plasma, xbox connected via MS component leads set to 720p, amazing picture no problems.
    Set to Normal mode, calibrated with DVE and ISF.

Will get a piccy tonight.

8. DIRY

DIRY
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Nice one, cheers! :thumbsup:

9. DFL

DFL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    HI, I'm an old kid. So its been a while since I've had a console but the nice things is since my age regression when purchasing the 360 is that I am hooking it up to some serious kit.

Couldn't find much on searching the forums re: Video Scalers and 360.

Currently

TV: Panasonic 42 inch PHD8 Panel
    Scaler: Lumagen DVI
    Connection: Official Microsoft component AV
    Settings: Cinema on PHD8
    Colour, Saturation, etc is looked after by Scaler (no need to go into that)
    360 Output: 720p (personally didn't like 1080i even though scaler lets it pass through)

The screen accepts 720p at 50Hz and also does native (768p) at 60Hz. I'm not sure if scaler does a FRC on the game to get ouput from 50Hz to 60Hz but I have noticed some flicker with DOA4.

There is NO DELAY in using this scaler with the 360.

However, I think i will be getting a VGA cable and outputting the games at 1024 x 768 (PC resolutions) and letting the 360 and panel do the necessary scaling. Also, no point having a 5.1 system if you're not going to use the optical cable so that's also on the list of things to buy.

Nb. DVD playback at 560p doesn't look good through the scaler. I don't know if its possible to turn off progressive and leave it at 560i/480i because the scaler does a cleaner job if it is fed this or proper 720p. I get artifact along the top, a washed out look and 2 thin black bars either side.

Cheers

10. DIRY

DIRY
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers Darren :smashin:

Note: links on first page, second post, updated :)

11. gritbox

gritbox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i cant get my audio to work thru vga, anyone got any ideas?

12. DIRY

DIRY
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    what are you connecting to what, with which leads (red / white or optical), and what settings on the Audio blade? :)

13. gritbox

gritbox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    red and white straight from cable into the connectors that the components sound wires were going into. they worked fine for component but not for vga!? its a sammy 26" lcd. in the dashboard are these red and white wires classed as analogue??

14. DIRY

DIRY
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    yep - analogue - which may be the problem as IIRC it defaults to optical with the VGA or component leads :)

PS - The red/white ones definately work from my MS Official VGA lead if that helps put your mind at rest :)

15. sdmilne

sdmilne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Can anybody tell me if the Hitachi 7200 works best with the component or the vga connection?

16. PoweronComms

PoweronComms
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just fired up my new X-Box 360,replacing the M/S supplied A/V lead with a Monster Cable from the X-Box to the Plasma TV

Vision and sound ok from the Panasonic TH37PV500 TV but I want to play the games through my Panasonic SCHT880 Home Cinema 5.1 system

When I select the source as AUX on the 880's receiver,I get nothing

Selecting TV,(with the game running),I hear the TV programme

Is there a cable arrangement or splitter to allow me to connect the X-Box to the 880?

Ta
    PoC

17. salubrious_k

salubrious_k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    TV: Sharp LC32GA6E
    Lead currently used: MS VGA
    Lead previously used: MS Component

Settings:
    Brightness - 37
    Contrast - 60

Having had both leads I definitely preferred the VGA, there were less jaggies.

18. xXTwin BladeXx

xXTwin BladeXx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    hey guys, i wqs reading a thread and was wondering if you guys would help me out, or anyone who has the same screen could help me out?
    I have this screen:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...381536/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/202-4681831-7724628
    And all i can say is wow! it is a great monitor to play on, however, the picture looks very washed out when playing, it looks really soft, but when you press the Auto button the colours come alive and look more viuvid, but only for a few seconds untill it goes back to its normal state :confused:
    This obvioulsy means that the monitor can prooduced vibrant colours, but how!?? i have fiddled around with the settings a countless number of times, but no luck :( everytime i press auto, it still looks better.
    Also on nearly every game there are jaggies, i think this maybe due to the fact that monitors dont do Anti-aliasing, am i correct? So what I am asking, is if anyone out there has the same monitor and has got it working correctly would be able to share with me their settings, or have i just gone for a cheap monitor and am facing the consequences? :(

19. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,348
    The monitor is great. I have my 360 set to 1360x768 as this appears to produce a slightly better image, or at least I think it does.

I have noticed the problem that you mention when pressing the auto button, though I don't think its really a fault myself.

I thought the monitor was great, was watching some trailers and stuff in HD then I hit the auto button, and noticed what you describe as a more vibrant picture.
    I think that in my oppinion, when pressing the auto button it dims the backlight somewhat. Now if we had control over the backlight that would be better.

Now as I'm sure many people here will tell you that for some reason the VGA cable does appear to make the image much brighter than that off the component cable.

Though some argue that the VGA make the image appears much more vibrant with the increased brightness and clarity.

The only problem I have is with games that are dark, as they are almost impossible to see. But luckily for us, every game I have has a brightness or contrast setting in the games options. Like Condemned was impossible to play until I went to options and adjusted the settings accordingly.

So I like the monitor and the VGA cable for the games, watching films isn't as good with it, as I'm sure components darkness would give a much better viewing experience for the films.

Just download the ICE AGE 2 trailer in 720p and see what you think :) It's a nice bright colourful trailer, so really stands out and shows off what the monitor is really capable of.

I have the Official MS VGA cable by the way. The Joytech is supposed to be good, but its apparently not quite as sharp as the MS VGA Cable.

20. xXTwin BladeXx

xXTwin BladeXx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    cheers wayne, could you tell me what Contrast and birghtness settings you use and wther you use the user created RGB levels (if so could you also tell me them) or wether you use the default warm or cool ones?

21. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,348
    Contrast 50
    Bright 32

RGB Default: Warm

22. Buff99

Buff99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    TV: Panasonic 42PHD8 panel
    360 lead : 4Gamers VGA HD AV Cable

For the last couple of months I've used the MS component cable directly into the panel in 720p and is (or was I thought) fine
    - however I bought a VGA cable at the weekend (a cheapo 15 quid 4Gamers one from HMV) and am now using my 360 directly into VGA
    - and wow what a difference!

The colour setup is different, not as dark (though I've re-calibrated it for the new input) BUT things like texture definition is much higher
    (i.e. on Burnout 360 title screen, the Burnout logo on vga is bumpy and embossed - via component you don't even notice this)

Oh and I changed the 360 output to panel native res (i.e. 1024*768, widescreen ratio, Pal 60 enabled).

I don't use my 360 for DVD playback, so couldn't say how 50hz/576i looks at 60hz.

Darren Lui - I'd definately recomend at least borrowing a cable to look at the difference!

23. lukaher101

lukaher101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how anyone can say vga is better than componant is beyond me
    i had a slight problem with xbox 360 games being a bit dark so a bought a ms vga lead .i could not believe the lack of colour and its noware near as sharp ,even set up on 1344 res. my advice would b use comopo and turn the brilliance up:

24. Red Salamander

Red Salamander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Monster component is best on a sony v series 40"
    Although official ms component lead is about 90% of the monster's ability

25. Tom1882

Tom1882

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, does anyone have a 360 set up through a Toshiba WL66/WLT66?

Basically, I'm a total beginner as far as the knowledge for this stuff goes so i'd appreciate it if anyone could help me out as to how to get the best set up.

Thanks

Tom.

26. smcshaw

smcshaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Tom,

I've got a 32WLT66 and I've found using a component lead, with the 360 set to 1080i to be the best so far.
    For the TV make sure Black Stretch is off then change the backlight, contrast , etc. to suit.

I'm using Backlight: 80, Contrast: 60, Brightness: 40, Contrast: 40 atm and I'm pretty happy but I'm still playing.

27. Tom1882

Tom1882

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks mate,

The component lead is the one that you get with the 360 right? where it has the little switch to turn between TV and HDTV?

28. smcshaw

smcshaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Aye, the one with the Premium pack. Remember before you set it to HD & 1080i though, set it to SD (standard) and go into the settings and set it to PAL60. It's a long story, but it's needed to play certain titles even in HD.

29. Tom1882

Tom1882

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why is that?

Would someone mind exlplaining exactly what to do then please?

30. smcshaw

smcshaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Tom,

Let's call it a quirk, but some 360 games including Oblivion and DOA4 need the 360 to be set to PAL60 irrespective of whether you're playing in HD or SD.
    There's a bit about it here > http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1889577&postcount=3

All you need to do is before changing your lead and settings to HD 1080i, go into options with the component lead set to SD and set the XBox 360 to output in PAL60, rather than 50. Then you'll never need to worry about it again :)

Hope this helps.