Tv just died. Please help!!!

Moomz

Established Member
Reaction score
LG RZ42PX3RVA just died I think. It was ok this morning and I got someone to help me take it off the wall so I can plug in HDMI cable to connect DVD player.I notice some green dots on the screen when I put it back on but they went after a while. I put it on again later and it seemed to be working fine. I left the room for a bit and when I came back there was a black screen. The sound is still on but I can't see anything including menus etc. Anybody know whats wrong? Is it big? Can I get it fixed? How much is this going to cost me? Am I better replacing it? I have had it for just over a year and I think it is now out of warranty. Sods law!!

:lease: help!

This has happend with my Hitachi 37" too tho when i power it off and power it back on my screen works then go's off.... I think there is a Starter thing inside thats not working?? maybe???? "that boots the screen when powering on"

How long have you had the TV?
Did you buy it local or online/mail order?
Now is the time to familiarise yourself with the Sale Of Goods Act, in case you need to remind the dealer your warranty is not where things end.

Just over a year... Bought it in Feb 2006 from AJ electronics online. Do I still have any rights even though it is out of warranty???

Read SOGA - rights aplenty, and don't be told otherwise!

I just have been! Wow! I had no idea!! Am I likely to get a lot of resistance?? Are there any people out there who have been in similar situation???

Any resistence is met with small claims court - ask them what you want in order to resolve your problem if no good then tell them via a letter what you demand and give them notice that you will take the matter to small claims court after 7 days and refer them too the SOG and tell them to read it :)

Has anybody had to go down the SOG route before??

Just phoned AJ electronics and when I mentioned the Sale of Goods act the guy said he knew nothing about it. I started to explain it to him and he said he doesn't need to know about it. I tried to tell him he does and he said he is too busy and put the phone down!! I rang back and spoke to someone else. He told me to email their returns department and I asked for their number and he said they don't have time to speak to customers. I asked how long I should expect to wait for a response and he said within a couple of weeks!!! I then asked hime if he thought that was a reasonable amount of time to wait (I was very calm throughout, surprisingly for me) and he said that they are busy and so is he and put the phone down!!!!

I have now sent an email and am rolling up my sleeves ready for battle!!!!

Another example of less than stellar service from a retailer then.

Methinks that they will lose a lot of potential business with a diabolical attitude such as that noted above.

I am willing to bet that their "busy period" may begin to rapidly tail off unless the above is an isolated incident, although I tend to think it is not.

Good luck with getting it sorted and keep us informed.

Sorry to hear this Moomz, but the phone is far too easy to hang up, and you may have jumped the gun a little leaving mention of the SOGA once you heard what they were prepared to do given the situation.
I think you now need to do one of two things - ask to speak with sales manager or company owner/director, or physically get yourself and telly down to their store in London or wherever it was bought from.
Explain the situation, see what they suggest by way of remedy, then wheel out the SOGA if they shirk their responsibilities. Doing this in a shop full of (potential) customers is one way to make them know you're serious and prepared to do what it takes to get satisfaction.
Nothing is more motivating to get you out the door as quickly as possible, and in this case, I'd be asking for a refund - no ifs, ands, or buts - since you've had to fight with them rather than them doing their duty as a reseller.
I'd put it to them that you've lost faith in them and have no wish to have a similar episode should the same thing happen with a replacement. They get one chance to show their merits, and they've shown you more than enough.

If you can be calm and dignified whilst saying this, then I'm sure you will get the desired result.
Good luck and keep us informed as to how it turns out.

Sorry to hear this Moomz, but the phone is far too easy to hang up, and you may have jumped the gun a little leaving mention of the SOGA once you heard what they were prepared to do given the situation.

I did ask them initially how they could assist me and they tried to fob me off with LG's phone number. I said I'm happy to contact LG but wasn't willing to pick up the tab at which the man laughed at me and said that he certainly wouldn't be. I then asked him if he was aware that it was the traders responsibility to repair any damages to which he exclaimed "you think I'm going to pay for any repairs when I've only made 50 quid profit on the TV...". It was at this point I mentioned SOGA...

It's not as if your £50 is singled out for your problems - like insurance, everyone's money is pooled for those who ultimately need to claim.
So, if they have 100 sales, but only 5 repairs at £120 a pop, then 3 buyers' profits have paid for each one, the rest has stayed with the company, presuming they contract an outside repair company.

Time to speak with the organ grinder and stop feeding the monkeys, and if you've no joy there, then a letter pointing out if they refuse to provide you with your rights under SOGA, you'll see them in court.
The only acceptable resolution at that point, is a full and complete refund.

Either that or a personal visit if it's not too much trouble for you to get to the store with the box. Make your case loudly so the other customers present will take note.

Surely the amount of profit they make is not relevant at all to faulty products. As a retailer, there are times when you just have to bite the bullet. IMHO it happens more regularly with LG than most other brands. AJ know that LG will just laugh at them, hence the 'get rid of him quick' attempt. You know they have a real shop too? It's in Edgeware road, just north of the tube, east side. I used to work round the corner from them, 5 yrs ago they were an OK bunch, you may just have spoken to the monkeys on an off day. Best of luck, the law is pretty much on your side, but it's well worth not waving it like a flag until you have thoughorly exhausted all other possibilities.

Top tip from someone I know working for major electrical manufacturer.
E-mail the CEO of the company concerned! Hitachi, Panasonic etc etc..

Just go on the net and look at the company details. Find out the CEO name and you will find most e-mails are the same format for all employees. So you might have something like [email protected] or [email protected]

I sent my Hitachi 42PD5200 problem to the head man in the nicest way and I got my repair money back.

Its worth a try.

Top tip from someone I know working for major electrical manufacturer.
E-mail the CEO of the company concerned! Hitachi, Panasonic etc etc..

Just go on the net and look at the company details. Find out the CEO name and you will find most e-mails are the same format for all employees. So you might have something like [email protected] or [email protected]

I sent my Hitachi 42PD5200 problem to the head man in the nicest way and I got my repair money back.

Its worth a try.

mbristow14

My Hitachi 5200 died a couple of months ago after just over 2 years of use, it looked lke the same power board issue that several 7000 series experienced. I contacted Hitachi, and the best they offered me was contact with their offical repairers. These guys were going to cost me £200+VAT to see the TV, plus parts and labour to fix it.

Well, I decided that at that price it was not worth it, so the screen is currently sat behind my sofa, with it's former place on the wall being replaced by a pioneer 507. But if there is any way of getting it fixed free of charge (or at worst cost) then I will do it.

Please can you let me know the details of your contact with Hitachi, and the details of your letter?

Thanks in advance

Just to keep you all posted - I have banged my head against a brick wall with AJ and it will now be dealt with the small courts. Such a shame that it had to come to this!!

Just over a year... Bought it in Feb 2006 from AJ electronics online. Do I still have any rights even though it is out of warranty???

You are going about this the wrong way,Its been made clear to you that the dealer you bought the set from is not interested in helping you or adhereing to the law.

Write to them giving them ten working days to resolve the matter to your complete satisfaction. If you havent heard in the time frame then write another letter giving a further 7 days to resolve the matter . With this last letter attach a completed county court small claims form giving a precise date as to when it will be submitted exactly 7 days after the receipt of you last letter.

Do be prepapred to go ahead and issue the claim as generally once the retailer gets notice from the court the matter is settled quite quickly without the need for a hearing.

A television should last a lot longer that 15 or so months so you have good grounds for your claim.

This is honestly the best way to deal with uncooperative retailers and there is no point wasting your own time.

I was in a similar situation with regard to a laptop I purchased from Rock it kept going wrong and they refused to give me a refund and ignored my letters, they couldnt pay up quick enough once they received a confirmation from the county court that a claim had been submitted and requested a defense.

You are going about this the wrong way,Its been made clear to you that the dealer you bought the set from is not interested in helping you or adhereing to the law.

Which is why I have got the small courts involved. It has been months since my first contact with them and I have written to them plenty of times and given a timescale for them to respond and I have got nowhere.

Why am I going about it the wrong way?

sorry mate missed your post prior to mine

You shouldnt have allowed months to pass , one letter and a follow up informing them of your intentions is more than adequate .

Anyway Goodluck with your claim.

no probs mate. I have put claim through online. How long does it take before they are given confirmation form the court? Do you think they will pay up straight away? If not how long is the process - I'm just a little worried as I'm off on holiday for a couple of weeks and don't want to miss anything..

normally the court issue the claim with in a couple of days,

Once the claim has been issued, the court give the defendant ten working days to submit a defence. If the defendant doesnt submit a defence then you can apply for judgement to be passed and usually you will win by default.

It really is simple you will get a form from the court stating when the defendant has to respond by and then a list of options to tick if they dont, Obviously you will tick the box stating you want a full refund plus court costs plus interest from the time the claim was submitted.

Most retailers tend to cough up at this point as there isnt much of a defense they can submit in a case lke this. A TV should last longer than 15 months it also goes in your favour that the retailer was unreasonable in the fact that they did not offer any assistance and did not respond to you letters.

I am sure things will turn out in your favour and glad to see your not getting fobbed off.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom