Question TV just broke...looking for a new 55 inch tv

kingolympics

Prominent Member
Reaction score
My Samsung tv just broke, I paid a lot of money for it 4 years ago so I'm unimpressed! First TV that has ever broken on me.

I'd like to get a 55 inch for under £600, appreciate that's a small budget for that size. Anyone have any recommendations? Would really appreciate it

We're in the same boat. The LG 55UH668V is one I'm looking at. Keen to hear other options as well.

Thanks for this. Anything else that isn't Samsung? I don't trust them after this!

With a FREE 6 year guarantee I don't think you can really go wrong [emoji106] reviews look really good and for the price I'm thinking about getting one myself!

It's £80 more than the LG, I can't see any obvious reason why?

It's £80 more than the LG, I can't see any obvious reason why?

You can't see why it's more expensive? Or you can't see why it's not worth giving a try?

I have to say for the money this does look like a really nice tv! Might go tomorrow after work to have a look at one!

Interesting, I never realised this. Although I still don't understand the difference.

"Unlike LG's OLED TVs, in which each pixel includes a white sub-pixel in addition to red, green, blue, its RGBW LCDs are based on a scheme where every fourth sub-pixel in a row is white, which means that each white sub-pixel is shared by adjacent pixels."

What does that actually mean? That 75% of the pixels have a missing white sub-pixel?

I can't say I fully understand it from a technical point of view, but the close-up images of the LCD and the resulting picture paint a picture of a thousand words to me.

Sorry to keep interrupting...i have looked at this one too, key for me is no HDR but still quite a high price.

What does IPS mean?

IPS (In-plane switching)
IPS was designed to solve the main limitations of the twisted nematic field (TN) matrix LCDs in the late 1980s. These limitations included strong viewing angle dependence and low-quality colour reproduction. In-plane switching involves arranging and switching the orientation of the molecules of the liquid crystal (LC) layer between the glass substrates. This is done, essentially, parallel to these glass plates.

The main advantages with IPS is that the technology offers excellent colour reproduction as well as much better viewing angles. The downside is a difficulty to emphasise blacks, which in turn can result in problems with the contrast, more so when viewing in a dark environment.

VA/MVA (Vertical Alignment/Multi-domain Vertical Alignment)
VA/MVA panels offer good viewing angles and generally better blacks and contrast than IPS panels. Their response times also look good on paper, but unfortunately not in the real world

Even if the response time for white to black is low, it is often considerably higher between two dark tones, leading to Ghosting effects.

VA panels use liquid crystals and electrical current to tilt polarized glass but have a slightly altered manufacturing process. The result is a deeper black background, better image quality, and a higher contrast ratio over IPS. They also offer better control of light and less light leakage. If you like great viewing angles and dark blacks, VA is the best option.

LG 630v or Hisense m5500/m7000 would be better deals. Those have VA panels. Do you need the wider viewing angles of IPS TVs?

LG 630v or Hisense m5500/m7000 would be better deals. Those have VA panels. Do you need the wider viewing angles of IPS TVs?

This came up in another thread, but it seems that may not actually be the case. It's certainly not clear anyway, as LG's site lists the 630V and 635V as IPS, and the features exclaim wide viewing angles. So certainly suggests they aren't VA after all. Would also therefore make them quite likely to be RGBW panels as all the other LG IPS ones are. The Hisense seem to get positive user feedback, but there doesn't seem to be a great deal out there in general... certainly not compared to the more well known brands anyway, which is frustrating as they do seem great value.

I picked up a LG 58UH635 in the recent Black Friday deals but returned it. Had really bad DSE and the local dimming was poor... didn't seem to know what it was doing half the time, lighting up areas of the screen in dark scenes that shouldn't have been.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom