TV interference and lack of control. Possibly a setting up problem ?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by willie45, Mar 13, 2006.

1. willie45

willie45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI

I have sky (not sky+) and I have a DVD player/VHS combi. I have no aerial just a sky dish and box.

I have connected the sky box to AV1 on my TV and then connected it via the other scart to the input on the VHS/DVD combi which is then connected via it's output scart to AV2 on the TV.

I have two questions:

1. I understand the above set up is the correct configuration but sometimes I have to use the TV remote to switch between sky and the DVD. If I don't I get a horrible picture of sky with wavy lines etc on AV2. Is this normal?

2, I have to use the volume control on the TV remote because the volume and mute buttons ( and the TV standby switch ) on the sky control do not work with my TV. Is this normal too?

I would be grateful if you could pardon my ignorance and help me out on this question.

Many thanks

Willie

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Problem one sounds like normal behaviour if your Sky box is connected to the TV via RGB (pressing the Sky button on the Sky remote switches between RGB and PAL).

Problem 2 is caused because your Sky box was either not installed properly, or not installed to go with that TV (i.e. you have replaced the original TV). The Sky remote needs to be programmed for use with your make of TV - details of how to do that are in the Sky box instruction manual.

3. willie45

willie45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Nick

Thanks for your help. Could you please explain what PAL and RGB difference is and is there anything I need to do to overcome it?

Thanks again

Willie

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Well, to be very basic, there are two ways that the Sky box can send signals down the scart cable. With PAL, the signal is encoded and sent down a single wire, but this can often result in the picture having lots of herringbone patterning, and a loss of definition. The other (better) way is via RGB, where the Red, Green and Blue parts of the picture are sent down 3 separate wires within the scart, which is probably the way the engineer set it up. However, there is a "feature" of the Sky box which makes the box switch from RGB to PAL (and vice-versa) when the Sky/TV buttons are pressed, which will cause the problem you're seeing.