TV INSURANCE CLAIM ADVICE

Your old DVDs will probably look worse on any new 4K set, regardless of OLED or LCD.

Blurays upscale fine.

If you plan on upgrading your sources to 4K such as Netflix, UHD discs, etc, then you'd need to go up to the Sony XH9505 or an OLED to get the real benefit of 4K which is HDR.
TVs at smaller sizes don't really show off the resolution bump to 4K unless you sit, literally, a couple of feet from the screen.

If you don't have or plan on getting 4K sources I'd probably just take the TV they're offering.
In a ideal world, im looking for something that does old stuff as well as new? Like hdmi 2.1 120hz for occasional gaming, and good 4k blu ray images.

Nothing new will make DVDs look good. They take up about 1/16 of the actual size of the screen and then have to be upscaled to make them fit.

16x the original size isn't going to look great no matter what TV you use. 1080p Blurays are fine though as they're about 1/4 of the size, so upscaling is far easier.

If you want HDMI 2.1 then you're limited to either LG OLEDs, Sony LCDs that aren't quite good enough for good HDR such as the XH9005 or Samsungs which seem to have some issues with HDMI 2.1 implementation that I'm not sure about as gaming isn't really important to me.

and good 4k blu ray images.

Then you need an OLED or higher tier LCD but smaller LCDs, under 50", quite often don't have 120Hz panels so there's no HDMI 2.1

I manage to get a Ins settlement for my w805a, to a Sony £749 KD49XH8505BU = £649 after £100 excess. So im happy with that, its in a currys voucher. But i need to do a new post on what to get now? I want something to upscale my old dvd's and blu ray's the best it can to a new 4k set? XH8505? XH9005? Or LG CX?
The 49XH8505 (£749) has 450nits and will tone map up to 1000nits before clipping
The 55XH9005 (£899) has 650nits and will tone map up to 1000nits before clipping
The 49XH9505 (£899) has 850nits and will tone map up to 2000nits before clipping
The 55XH9505 (£1199) has 1100nits and will tone map up to 2000nits before clipping

I find the 8505 good enough but am not a purist, and accept that you will find better detail on a side by side comparison with the 9005 or the 9505 (the question is whether that difference is worth the extra coin). For clarity, I forced my AppleTV 4k to push out SDR across a range of content and preferred the Dolby Vision (even though the considered opinion is that it is not capable of showing it - which is why I tried).

Don't know about the LGs though.

When will you find out if your insurance goes up? Interested to know how this ended up.
I guess when i renew in july? I last claimed for a washing machine 6 yrs ago and it didnt go up that much afterwards that i remember.

The 49XH8505 (£749) has 450nits and will tone map up to 1000nits before clipping
The 55XH9005 (£899) has 650nits and will tone map up to 1000nits before clipping
The 49XH9505 (£899) has 850nits and will tone map up to 2000nits before clipping
The 55XH9505 (£1199) has 1100nits and will tone map up to 2000nits before clipping

I find the 8505 good enough but am not a purist, and accept that you will find better detail on a side by side comparison with the 9005 or the 9505 (the question is whether that difference is worth the extra coin). For clarity, I forced my AppleTV 4k to push out SDR across a range of content and preferred the Dolby Vision (even though the considered opinion is that it is not capable of showing it - which is why I tried).

Don't know about the LGs though.
Is nits the brightness of the tv? I was going to go for a 9005 until a see a u tube video against a cx. The sony was not as good as the cx BUT it was close, i was surprised. But what let the sony down was the viewing angles, as soon as the camera moved side to side, you could see the loss in picture.

Is nits the brightness of the tv? I was going to go for a 9005 until a see a u tube video against a cx. The sony was not as good as the cx BUT it was close, i was surprised. But what let the sony down was the viewing angles, as soon as the camera moved side to side, you could see the loss in picture.
Nits is the brightness of image, HDR images can track up to 4000 nits but different brands have different ways of handling it (Sony appear to track natively up to the TV brightness then map higher brightness down, so the higher the better). Check out the videos on the HDTVTest YouTube Channel (he also has a 9005).

I must admit that coming from a 2017 Panny VA panel the difference is less severe on the angles than the Sony VA panel (something I only really noticed today - it's there but just less).

If you're thinking about spending the coin for the 9000H, then I'd just go for the 9505 TBH (55 gets better tech, but the 49 scores really well in reviews which I've linked to in this post).

Nits is the brightness of image, HDR images can track up to 4000 nits but different brands have different ways of handling it (Sony appear to track natively up to the TV brightness then map higher brightness down, so the higher the better). Check out the videos on the HDTVTest YouTube Channel (he also has a 9005).

I must admit that coming from a 2017 Panny VA panel the difference is less severe on the angles than the Sony VA panel (something I only really noticed today - it's there but just less).

If you're thinking about spending the coin for the 9000H, then I'd just go for the 9505 TBH (55 gets better tech, but the 49 scores really well in reviews which I've linked to in this post).
Thanks 4 that info, i suppose i will to forget about my old dvd's as i dont want to stay in the past just because of them. As long as the new telly i get will give a decent 1080p blu ray picture upscale, this may give me a better chance of finding a tv??

The other thing the XH9005 and XH9505 get which is very important for an LCD TV if you want good HDR is FALD (Full Array Local Dimming) the 8 series models don't get it.

Without FALD the entire backlight goes into maximum in scenes of peak brightness rather than just a small area so all the blacks end up looking like a murky grey.
Either that or the backlight goes into minimum and you get no detail in dark scenes.

FALD prevents this and is as important as nit output for good HDR.

Nits and FALD are not important however for DVD and Blurays and normal TV viewing, only for 4K, but avoiding 4K is getting harder.

Thanks 4 that info, i suppose i will to forget about my old dvd's as i dont want to stay in the past just because of them. As long as the new telly i get will give a decent 1080p blu ray picture upscale, this may give me a better chance of finding a tv??
The 9505 has the best picture processing and upscale, and unless funds are tight then I'd go down that route.

The 8505 isn't as bad a TV as some would state though, I suspect that the abilities of the picture processing is masking the limitations of the LCD panel itself as I'm seeing shadows and highlights with lovely colours in the current Avengers movies we are watching - the polish review of the 8505 is spot on.

Did they try to justify their much lower initial offer? Did you have new for old cover? Hopefully your premium will not increase substantially.
They don't have to justify it. They will always low ball on the first offer, some people are stupid enough not to negotiate so happy days for the insurance company.

Im thinking of going for the XH9005, as i think this will do what i want. I.e my older 1080p blu rays, and its the only sony to have the 2.1hdmi and 120hz for gaming. But the XH9505 does look a little better for movies, despite its lower contrast ratio. thanks m

Last edited:
Hold on after looking at a few reviews of the XH9505, im now leaning towards that, what a nightmare!

Hello all, just to say ive ordered the XH9505 49" tonight @ £899 +£10 del from currys. I measured to space that it will go in, and even though i wanted a 55", it would have meant awkward changes for the worst. So ive had to settle for the 49" over the 55", hope it will be ok.
Thanks m

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom