TV INSURANCE CLAIM ADVICE

mac74

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all, im gutted that ive accidently damaged the screen on my 3D Sony 47" 807a tv which cost me £1299 in 2013. I have accidental damage cover on my home insurance in place so i contacted them. The guy on the phone told me to hold the line and came back to me offering £379 for the cost of a replacement 48" LG set, telling me its 4k and 1" bigger. I told him im not happy with that as my Sony was i high end tv at the time and he has chosen a lower end tv, so im waiting for a manager to call me back within the next 48hrs to discuss it further.

My argument is that spending £1299 on a tv in 2013 is worth £1520 in todays money, meaning i will go for ether a Sony A9 or a LG CX as a replacement to get the best performance quality. And even though i understand his 4k offering is a higher spec on paper, i believe that my older flagship at the time 1080p Sony 807a would still out perform lower end 4k tvs in terms of picture quality ect. When i originally bought it back in 2013 the were lots of cheaper tv's on the market with the same specs (like a bush @ £399) but i went for the higher quality.

So my question is, has anyone got any advice that will help my case for when the manager calls me back?

Thank you

Last edited:
Does the policy say like for like or equivalent?

Hello thanks 4 the reply, i cannot find that out on there website/ but i will contact them 2 moro, is there a difference?

Hello thanks 4 the reply, i cannot find that out on there website/ but i will contact them 2 moro, is there a difference?
Yes, if it’s not like for like they’ll only have to offer a new TV of similar spec that is of the value of yours taking usage and depreciation into account. They won’t replace a now old LCD with a new top of the range OLED despite what you paid.

If that’s what you want, you could ask for cash or vouchers and pay the rest.

Is there also an excess to pay?

At best I'd be hoping for a good Sony or Samsung LCD, trying to get an OLED is a bit unrealistic IMO.

TV's are significantly cheaper now than their launch price last year.

You’d be doing well if you can get the high tier Sony 49Xh9505

Thanks 4 all replys, my excess is £100. I will just get what i can from the ins, and put money to it, ive been looking at a sony xh9000?

I’d be trying to get a 49XH8505 TBH, a good TV

At best I'd be hoping for a good Sony or Samsung LCD, trying to get an OLED is a bit unrealistic IMO.

TV's are significantly cheaper now than their launch price last year.

As per @Sloppy Bob , the price you paid for it it is somewhat irrelevant, it is what the spec equivalent now will cost that is important. Smallish LCDs are now much cheaper then when you bought your Sony, hence their offer, although they will usually go higher than their initial offer.

Your old TV however was nowhere near equivalent to an OLED today, so take the best offer you can get from them and add to it if you want an OLED.

@mac74 what was the model number they tried to give you?

The other way to look at is your TV had 4 HDMI inputs, so whatever TV they offer you must have 4 HDMI inputs (which might be more common now)

It has 3 USBs so this is what you expect.

It also has a satellite input and tuner so your replacement TV should have this.

If they ask do you use these or not, that is irrelevant your new should be the equivalent or like for like.

The other way to look at is your TV had 4 HDMI inputs, so whatever TV they offer you must have 4 HDMI inputs (which might be more common now)

It also has a satellite input and tuner so your replacement TV should have this.

If they ask do you use these or not, that is irrelevant your new should be the equivalent or like for like.
Which means XH85 or higher :)

Great points thanks

Its was this

LG 49UM7400PLB 49" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV with Google Assistant £379​

Its was this

LG 49UM7400PLB 49" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV with Google Assistant £379​

So is now a discontinued model

Only offers 3 HDMI vs the 4 on your current TV
Only 2 USB vs the 3 on your current TV (and the XH85)
Both have sat tuners

So I would argue that the Sony 49XH85 is much closer to your current TV and therefore more appropriate. A £1299 TV in 2013 replacement with an equivalent TV today at £749 would feel about right pricewise.

It looks like the xh8505 is the cheapest sony at the moment (£750) that will match my old w807a, this is great news! although i cant find the contrast ratio on it? Mine is 1 million in the spec sheet. The xh8505 is what i will aim for, but i think i will put the extra to it and buy a

SONY BRAVIA KD55XH9005BU @ £899 ??? Thanks all​

It looks like the xh8505 is the cheapest sony at the moment (£750) that will match my old w807a, this is great news! although i cant find the contrast ratio on it? Mine is 1 million in the spec sheet. The xh8505 is what i will aim for, but i think i will put the extra to it and buy a

SONY BRAVIA KD55XH9005BU @ £899 ??? Thanks all​

Detailed review of the XH8505 states that measured native contrast is 3192:1 (pretty much the same as the XH9505), standard brightness of 450 nits with peak brightness of 1000 nits (I was impressed with the picture quality and now I know why!).

If you are getting the money to buy a new TV rather than insurance buying it, then I'd be looking the Sony refurb site on Thursday mornings and buying a grade refurb at 55" XH9505 for £679 and add the 5yrs warranty for £65 (you can ask around for a better deal) afterwards.

So is now a discontinued model

Only offers 3 HDMI vs the 4 on your current TV
Only 2 USB vs the 3 on your current TV (and the XH85)
Both have sat tuners

So I would argue that the Sony 49XH85 is much closer to your current TV and therefore more appropriate. A £1299 TV in 2013 replacement with an equivalent TV today at £749 would feel about right pricewise.
I agree

I manage to get a Ins settlement for my w805a, to a Sony £749 KD49XH8505BU = £649 after £100 excess. So im happy with that, its in a currys voucher. But i need to do a new post on what to get now? I want something to upscale my old dvd's and blu ray's the best it can to a new 4k set? XH8505? XH9005? Or LG CX?

Did they try to justify their much lower initial offer? Did you have new for old cover? Hopefully your premium will not increase substantially.

Your old DVDs will probably look worse on any new 4K set, regardless of OLED or LCD.

Blurays upscale fine.

If you plan on upgrading your sources to 4K such as Netflix, UHD discs, etc, then you'd need to go up to the Sony XH9505 or an OLED to get the real benefit of 4K which is HDR.
TVs at smaller sizes don't really show off the resolution bump to 4K unless you sit, literally, a couple of feet from the screen.

If you don't have or plan on getting 4K sources I'd probably just take the TV they're offering.

Last edited:
Did they try to justify their much lower initial offer? Did you have new for old cover? Hopefully your premium will not increase substantially.
They didnt really give me a answer on the low offer, just that some else who new more about this said the 850 was more closer. If my ins does go up silly money i will do a comparison search.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom